Meet & Mingle - Ups & Downs?

photopro2

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the extremely helpful input!

One thing that I have suggested (in the light of what has been said) to those on our roll call is if they have signed up and can't find the invitation when they board to ask the crew. It is possible that they (or Viking?) have made some mistake in the process but if they are "in the know" and planned to attend I don't see why they should miss out.

It will be interesting to see how our M&M goes in about 2 weeks - I will report back!

Just off the January 16 West Indies cruise. Our M&M was small with about 20? attending from our Roll Call plus 2 crew. Most of us made a point to introduce ourselves to each other but I agree it would have been very nice to have name tags. (I mentioned this to the Asst Cruise Director later.). Also a "program" as described earlier would be good. Have to say they've come a long way from July 2015 when they didn't know what a M&M was[emoji4]

We were on the I'll-fated Homelands cruise and relied on our Roll Call friends heavily.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have attended M&Ms on several different cruise lines. Some had a great deal of support from the cruise line (hors d'oeuvres, bar, officers present) but I don't recall any where the cruise line provided name tags. On most, someone from the Roll Call was expected to organize the affair. Sometimes the CD will take charge -- but I have also read posts here where people felt that was "taking over our party." So -- it's no surprise that Viking hasn't followed the "industry standard" because there are several different models out there.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of us on the Viking Sea cruise that ended yesterday, the invitation was on the desk with other things and easy to miss the first day. Still we found it on time. It was a small group of about 14 people with a few officers dropping by and drinks and some small bites. We were upstairs from the Explorers Lounge and just introduced ourselves to one another. I thought that was fine and nice of Viking to assist with food, drinks etc. Some other lines seem to leave it up to the Roll Call to plan, do name tags, etc. There was at least one other meet and mingle that night (Captain's Welcome or Transit Passengers M & G, we seemed to be offered champagne and food every day for some reason) so our small group was okay. I just hope no one missed it and enjoyed seeing my fellow CC posters.

After sobering up (see post above) :) I can now pass on my own experiences from last week’s M&M on The Sea.

It seems that Viking are reading these posts and adjusting the way they do things where they can because most of the comments given previously in this thread have been addressed.

Our invitation appeared on the bed with the Viking Daily the night before so we could not miss it and the event was set to coincide with our sailing from Barcelona.

Heather Clancy, the cruise director (who was to be a wonderful “powerhouse” for events the whole trip long) made a speech of introduction and we raised a toast with the Champagne that had been served. The Hotel General manager and the Assoc. General Manager also both attended though the captain was understandably busy as the ship left port!

I think we had about 12-14 Cruise Critic members attend and as well as meeting them it gave a good opportunity to chat with General Manager Sujith Mohan. I discovered that he has a masters degree in hospitality and is currently working on his doctorate. I think this says a lot about the quality of personnel Viking is bringing into the new and growing company.

Sujith was also gracious enough to remember me and introduced me to the Captain at a later reception.

Overall I feel the M&M was well worth attending and we look forward to our next one!

With the port intensive Viking Ocean cruise schedule, I'm wondering when is the likely day and time for a Meet & Mingle to be held? We are on the Sky Homelands May 20th departing from Bergen. Should I expect it to be as we leave our first port. (Bergen) on the second day of the cruise? The only Meet & Greet I've attended has been organized through CC so I have a few question about M&M. thanks for any comments. Deborah

Should I expect it to be as we leave our first port. (Bergen) on the second day of the cruise?

We sailed on the Star Feb 5-15 and I think ours was on the second or third night at 6 PM. Almost all out excursions were 2-3 hours so 6 PM was very doable.

I started a roll call for our cruise but only one other member posted. When we received the invitation, in an envelope either on our bed or on in the mail slot outside our stateroom door, I told my husband we had to attend because I was afraid we were the only ones who registered.

We were the only ones. We were greeted by the food services manager and a bartender with a tray of different wines. They also provided each of us with beautifully plated hor dourves. The guest services manager arrived a few minutes later and finally the hotel director. All seemed genuinely interested in feedback and each said "please, contact me directly if you have any problems" and the hotel director gave us his card with his direct number. Each greeted us by name whenever they saw us for the rest of the cruise.

We sailed on the Star Feb 5-15 and I think ours was on the second or third night at 6 PM. Almost all out excursions were 2-3 hours so 6 PM was very doable.

I started a roll call for our cruise but only one other member posted. When we received the invitation, in an envelope either on our bed or on in the mail slot outside our stateroom door, I told my husband we had to attend because I was afraid we were the only ones who registered.

We were the only ones. We were greeted by the food services manager and a bartender with a tray of different wines. They also provided each of us with beautifully plated hor dourves. The guest services manager arrived a few minutes later and finally the hotel director. All seemed genuinely interested in feedback and each said "please, contact me directly if you have any problems" and the hotel director gave us his card with his direct number. Each greeted us by name whenever they saw us for the rest of the cruise.

Nice job, Viking!!

You can see who has signed up for your M&M here (I hope this link works and you aren't getting MY list of M&Ms).

It also bears repeating that you do NOT have to ever have posted on a Roll Call to sign up for the M&M; you only need to be a member of Cruise Critic. Also, everyone in your party is invited to the M&M, even if they themselves aren't members of Cruise Critic.

We board the Star on Saturday for the first TA cruise. Our roll call has been very active and we have 29 people signed up for the Meet and Mingle. After my experience on the Star in July, I have taken on the responsibility of making name tags for our Roll Call. Viking did a great job in July and I'm sure it will be just as nice this time. Viking sent a note this week to everyone on the Roll Call indicating that there would be an event. Really nice.

We board the Star on Saturday for the first TA cruise. Our roll call has been very active and we have 29 people signed up for the Meet and Mingle. After my experience on the Star in July, I have taken on the responsibility of making name tags for our Roll Call. Viking did a great job in July and I'm sure it will be just as nice this time. Viking sent a note this week to everyone on the Roll Call indicating that there would be an event. Really nice.
Hope you or others will post your experiences of this first TA from San Juan to Spain. Sounds like you will have a great meet and greet.

Great idea! I should have thought of that last July. But we were all newbies. Have a wonderful TA. Fingers crossed no rough seas!

We sailed on the Star Feb 5-15 and I think ours was on the second or third night at 6 PM. Almost all out excursions were 2-3 hours so 6 PM was very doable.I started a roll call for our cruise but only one other member posted. When we received the invitation, in an envelope either on our bed or on in the mail slot outside our stateroom door, I told my husband we had to attend because I was afraid we were the only ones who registered.

Thanks for that information. Right now our group is the only one registered but I hope more will join as it gets closer to the date. thanks again, Deborah

• 2 weeks later...

Royal Caribbean has the worst Meet & Mingle of any cruise line.

Just off the Navigator and although it was well attended, only coffee, no name tags it was a room full of strangers.

You have a captive audience there should be officers in attendance to sell your brand.

On the other hand Norwegian does a great job, all officers present including the Captain.

It really makes you feel they appreciate your business and they repeatedly say that and recognize you the entire trip.

Thanks for that information. Right now our group is the only one registered but I hope more will join as it gets closer to the date. thanks again, Deborah

Going by my experience last year, a few us on the roll call really beat the drum to encourage folks to sign up for the Meet and Mingle. Basically to catch new joiners to the roll call. It worked pretty well. We had about 30 by the end.

So beat the drum and get others to help.

I an on the Sky, June 17, 2017. On February 22, CC help said they would add this sailing date to the Meet and Mingle list. On March 12 it is still not there. I guess it all takes time! 😐

Sadly, it also takes a lot of nagging until they actually do it. I've been asking them to add Viking Sun and Spirit to the Roll Call tool drop down menu for weeks now and it hasn't happened either. Keep at them until they do it.

I am probably the first one back from the first Viking Ocean EBTA from San Juan to Barcelona.

The mix and mingle was held on the second day in the upstairs part of the explorer lounge. Invitation was a note card in a nice envelope on the door portion for notes.

Viking had wine, champagne and soda plus several different types of passed items on a tray. the ships officers were there and introduced themselves.

A very nice event.

I am probably the first one back from the first Viking Ocean EBTA from San Juan to Barcelona.

The mix and mingle was held on the second day in the upstairs part of the explorer lounge. Invitation was a note card in a nice envelope on the door portion for notes.

Viking had wine, champagne and soda plus several different types of passed items on a tray. the ships officers were there and introduced themselves.

A very nice event.

Great news.

Have you writtine a review of the TA crossing? I am so interested in the sea days and the port excursions on this itinerary .

Thank you geffric, glad the m&m went so well.

We are on the same itinerary next year and would be very interested to read a full review if you get chance to post one. How was the sea across that part of the Atlantic?

Sent from my mobile using the CC forums app