HAL - OBC or drink card?

PDXgranny

Our very first cruise is coming up next week on Rotterdam. I don't want to buy the drink package - it's $775 for our cruise + I have to buy another for DH who drinks maybe one alcoholic bev a day. So I purchased a discounted soda card for him ($50 card for $25). I know I'll drink wine at dinner at a couple cocktails during the day. Plus latte, juice.

Is it better to buy OBC or drink cards for myself? How long does unused OBC stay on our account?

What happens to any portion of drink card I don't use? What do drink cards buy - i.e.: can I use them for any beverage, coffees, sodas, etc?

TYIA!

Unused OBC is on your account until the last day of your cruise. Then, if it is OBC you purchased, it is refunded to you.

Hard to say, as we don't know you, but I think the OBC idea is the better choice. Just a hunch.

By the way, all these things are commonly discussed on the HAL board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

Unused OBC is on your account until the last day of your cruise. Then, if it is OBC you purchased, it is refunded to you.

Hard to say, as we don't know you, but I think the OBC idea is the better choice. Just a hunch.

By the way, all these things are commonly discussed on the HAL board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

Thank you! I'll check out that board....

I always buy the Beverage Cards for us.

I usually get the $250 cards. Once I get the receipt for drinks, then I throw out the old receipt.

Buying the Beverage cards just makes it easier at the end of the cruise as I have less receipt to check when I get the final bill.

OBC means you are going to have to keep each receipt and check everything at the end to make certain that the OBC was used for your drinks.

You can use the cards to buy cocktails, glasses of wine, bottles of wine, the specialty coffees and teas, bottled water, sodas, etc.

Unused portions of purchased beverage cards (not "beverage packages") have been deducted from my final billing statement.

FWIW soda cards are soda dispensed from a fountain gun into a glass. Beverage cards include cans that you can take back to your stateroom minibar for chilled storage.

Unused portions of purchased beverage cards (not "beverage packages") have been deducted from my final billing statement.

FWIW soda cards are soda dispensed from a fountain gun into a glass. Beverage cards include cans that you can take back to your stateroom minibar for chilled storage.

Didn't know that about soda cards - this is great - DH would much rather get fountain dispensed Coke.