Have many people recieved an upgrade on a select fare?

Claire yorkshire

Thanks. We have the Personal Cruise Consultant option, so will definitely ask next time we make a booking. I recall being told by P&O that if you opt for an upgrade option then if you are upgraded it happens automatically and you lose your original cabin. Given the care we take to select a well located cabin I've never been prepared to take the risk of a move to what P&O may deem to be an upgrade but I don't. As I have said, a move to the same type of cabin but in a higher grade is a move, not an upgrade in my eyes.

So I guess my final question is this. Are all upgrades 'offered' as an option and can you decline them if you do not consider them to be an improvement? In other words, if I've booked a balcony cabin and they want to 'upgrade' me to another balcony cabin which they deem to be a higher grade I can say 'no thanks' but if they offer me a Suite I can say 'yes'?

We have taken the auto upgrade option a couple of times over the last few years when booking select a few weeks before sailing and cabin choice has been limited. No one sits at a desk juggling cabins, POs computer is the upgrade fairy. We have been moved twice to the same type of cabin just nearer the centre but you only find out if you check your CP. On one occasion we got moved twice and when I saw we had been allocated a C deck balcony I rang my TA and she slapped a no upgrade on it to stop the computer moving us again. You def don't get phone calls from PO for auto upgrades you take a chance. If you realise you have been moved and don't like the cabin you can ask to be moved back to the original and may get it back if someone else hasnt booked it in the meantime.

The rule is that if you opt in for free auto upgrades and are given an upgrade, you can't turn it down. If you are offered an upgrade for a fee and don't want to take it up, you are able to say no and turn down the offer. I have always had an email when I have been given free upgrades, but have always been phoned when they have been offering me an upgrade for a fee.

Edited by Scriv

We had a delux cabin with sofa D deck last year on Ventura and were offered a suite at the front for an extra £200 each I think about 6 weeks before travelling. We declined as Id booked midships. Glad we stayed put because it was a bumpy ride. I was under the impression that select fares had the dining of their choice and free shuttle buses.

What is the latest you hear about an upgrade?

I sail on March 7th on Ventura, so about 5 weeks to go.

My e-ticket has come up on cruise personaliser with the original cabin number, does that mean my chances of an upgrade are over

Our only upgrade in 30 + cruises came 4 days before we sailed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm with you on this Selbourne. If you select your cabin, you do so being happy with it. So you say no to an auto upgrade. If you choose to pay a select fare so you can pick your cabin, why would you opt for an upgrade.

But I agree. Moving me from one inside cabin to another of similar size is NOT an upgrade IMO. Inside to outside/balcony is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's all personal choice of course, but sometimes the other benefits of a select fare mean the select fare is no more that the saver fare when extras with a monetary value (OBC/Parking/Coach etc) are taken into account. This means there could be a point to opting for upgrade. This is especially the case if booking later and the choice of cabin location is more limited, so the chance of getting an undesirable move is lessened.

Have to agree though that in general moves within cabin type are not a real upgrade to me. That said (on the other point being discussed here), I also recall being offered the only upgrade to the next cabin type option when calling P&O direct, so could see myself opting for this in some circumstances.

Sorry Dai, but you are wrong. We book with a small TA (was one female on her own now two) and she tells us it is an option on the PO booking site. As you book a suite you are unlikely to be offered the upgrade unless you are aiming for the Captains cabin.

We also got offered a suite via PO not via TA but I can't remember the price.

No I am not wrong and I do not always book a suite I have 2 mini suites booked the was still only one option yes or no.

No I am not wrong and I do not always book a suite I have 2 mini suites booked the was still only one option yes or no.

/QUOTE]

You won't be offered it in a mini suite as a suite is the same type of cabin. The option becomes available when its a different type of cabin ie inside/outside, outside/balcony. I don't recall being offered balcony to delux balcony ( like a mini suite is stiil a suite) but have been given the option when booking delux balcony to upgrade to a different type cabin ie suite. Now FAB1 could correct me and say he was given the option on a normal balcony but I can't remember if we have.

/QUOTE]

You won't be offered it in a mini suite as a suite is the same type of cabin. The option becomes available when its a different type of cabin ie inside/outside, outside/balcony. I don't recall being offered balcony to delux balcony ( like a mini suite is stiil a suite) but have been given the option when booking delux balcony to upgrade to a different type cabin ie suite. Now FAB1 could correct me and say he was given the option on a normal balcony but I can't remember if we have.

There is a vast difference between a suite and a mini suite. The extras you get in a full suite are way beyond that in a mini suite.

Apart from that there are different grades of mini suites, Oceana

has 4 grades. That is without the different grades of suite.

I would be in exactly the same position as someone in a balcony cabin. I have not been given the 3 way choice.

There is a vast difference between a suite and a mini suite. The extras you get in a full suite are way beyond that in a mini suite.

Apart from that there are different grades of mini suites, Oceana

has 4 grades. That is without the different grades of suite.

I would be in exactly the same position as someone in a balcony cabin. I have not been given the 3 way choice.

Therefore tick the auto upgrade box and hope for the best.

Therefore tick the auto upgrade box and hope for the best.

So you concede that there is not a third option other than one a TA may give.

I booked a cruise this afternoon directly with P&O through our Personal Cruise Advisor who is excellent. When she asked whether we wanted to keep our chosen cabin or would accept an upgrade should one become available I told her that we would not want to upgrade unless it was to a different type of cabin and she told me that she only has the ability to mark the booking as upgrade or no upgrade there is no way to specify any detail. I did not expect any different response but having followed this post I was curious, as usual I said that we would want to keep our chosen cabin. We have had that cabin previously so we know exactly where it is on the ship and we had chosen it because it is in a quiet position.

I booked a cruise this afternoon directly with P&O through our Personal Cruise Advisor who is excellent. When she asked whether we wanted to keep our chosen cabin or would accept an upgrade should one become available I told her that we would not want to upgrade unless it was to a different type of cabin and she told me that she only has the ability to mark the booking as upgrade or no upgrade there is no way to specify any detail. I did not expect any different response but having followed this post I was curious, as usual I said that we would want to keep our chosen cabin. We have had that cabin previously so we know exactly where it is on the ship and we had chosen it because it is in a quiet position.

We are obviously very fortunate using the TA we do, as is poster FAB1 who also gets a choice. It doesn't mean we will be upgraded but at least our numbers are in the lottery.

I have called P&O this morning to discuss this issue in relation to our future bookings and they have confirmed the position as follows;

You opt in or out to automatic upgrades. These are always free and may be several grades or classifications higher than you have booked. However, you may lose your original cabin and cannot change back if it has been offered to someone else. You cannot elect to only receive a complimentary upgrade based upon certain criteria (e.g. don't 'upgrade' me to the same type of cabin in a higher grade, but do upgrade me if its from a balcony cabin to a Suite). In other words, there is no third option.

There is a secondary (and completely unrelated) programme of low cost upgrade offers. This is when P&O (or your TA if you have booked through one) may offer you an upgrade at low cost. You can decline or accept this. Opting in or out of free automatic upgrades has no bearing on this and you are unable to opt in or out of being considered for a low cost upgrade. It either happens or it doesn't.

Finally, there are no special arrangements for TA's to gain favourable access to these deals over and above those who book direct with P&O.

I have called P&O this morning to discuss this issue in relation to our future bookings and they have confirmed the position as follows;

You opt in or out to automatic upgrades. These are always free and may be several grades or classifications higher than you have booked. However, you may lose your original cabin and cannot change back if it has been offered to someone else. You cannot elect to only receive a complimentary upgrade based upon certain criteria (e.g. don't 'upgrade' me to the same type of cabin in a higher grade, but do upgrade me if its from a balcony cabin to a Suite). In other words, there is no third option.

There is a secondary (and completely unrelated) programme of low cost upgrade offers. This is when P&O (or your TA if you have booked through one) may offer you an upgrade at low cost. You can decline or accept this. Opting in or out of free automatic upgrades has no bearing on this and you are unable to opt in or out of being considered for a low cost upgrade. It either happens or it doesn't.

Finally, there are no special arrangements for TA's to gain favourable access to these deals over and above those who book direct with P&O.

How odd is that. That's exactly how I thought it worked all along.

I must be right then.

:). :)

How odd is that. That's exactly how I thought it worked all along.

I must be right then.

:). :)

Quite! I suspect that the issue that's causing confusion is that some TA's may ask customers what they would be happy to accept, should P&O offer a low cost upgrade, in order to know whether or not to pass on the offer to them. But I think we have debunked the myth that you can pick and choose in advance which type of complimentary upgrades you would or wouldn't like.

It's a shame though, as the 3rd option would have worked well for me and would stop me from declining the upgrade option!

If in a mini suite I will always accept any upgrade to a suite, except the two top ones on Aurora as my mobility scooter will have problem getting up the spiral staircase.

If in a mini suite I will always accept any upgrade to a suite, except the two top ones on Aurora as my mobility scooter will have problem getting up the spiral staircase.

Dai. We have some cruises booked on Aurora in an accessible balcony cabin (wife uses a wheelchair). Am I correct in thinking that the two grades between us and a Suite (Deluxe Balcony and Mini-Suite) are configured with a shower above a bath (which is no good for us) and that the only option for an upgrade with a free-standing shower cubicle would be to a full Suite? Can't imagine we'd ever be offered an upgrade of that magnitude, other than the fact we have booked Suites 3 times on Britannia!! Keen to understand what our options are though, as nothing on B deck (where all grades above ours are located) shows as accessible? Thanks in anticipation.

I can only repeat that I have requested "only accept upgrade to different type of cabin" and my cruise consultant confirmed that my booking has been marked accordingly. I never book through a TA always direct with P&O. Having said that I have never been given an upgrade only offered the paid for one once when they phoned me.

I don't understand why some people have been offered this third type of upgrade and others haven't but as is always the case with P&O it depends who you speak to. Whatever the question you will get several different answers.

The only other possibility is that I have been lied to twice by P&O if this option does not exist 😕

Regards

Sue

UPDATE

Just spoke to my cruise consultant about another matter so asked about this third option. It is not an "automatic" upgrade as such but there is an option to have your booking marked that you would accept an upgrade to another "type" of cabin if any are availabe.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

Sue

UPDATE

Just spoke to my cruise consultant about another matter so asked about this third option. It is not an "automatic" upgrade as such but there is an option to have your booking marked that you would accept an upgrade to another "type" of cabin if any are availabe.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

Sue

How interesting. I asked EXACTLY the same question to a P&O cruise consultant a few hours ago and was told categorically that this was not an option. As you say, they really need to get their act together as it seems that the same question gets entirely different answers, depending on who you speak to. Having thought I was now clear on this matter, I am now as confused as ever :mad:

Selbourne,

I am afraid that is the situation. I could not remember but I have kept a 2012 brochure which gives more detail about the cabins on each ship. Looking on there both of those grades have only shower over a bath. Looking through only Arcadia and Oceana have separate showers in the mini-suites but on Oceana the stern mini-suites do not.

Selbourne,

I am afraid that is the situation. I could not remember but I have kept a 2012 brochure which gives more detail about the cabins on each ship. Looking on there both of those grades have only shower over a bath. Looking through only Arcadia and Oceana have separate showers in the mini-suites but on Oceana the stern mini-suites do not.

Thanks Dai. I really appreciate you going to that trouble to find out for me - much appreciated. I wish that I had kept some old brochures as the current versions are absolutely useless. Looking on the bright side, as we have booked accessible balcony cabins for several future cruises on Aurora and Suites for future cruises on Britannia and Ventura, I won't trouble myself any more over this whole debacle regarding upgrades. Unless we were upgraded to a Suite on Aurora (less than 1% chance I should think), we already have the best that we can get and will not benefit from being moved.

Thanks Dai. I really appreciate you going to that trouble to find out for me - much appreciated. I wish that I had kept some old brochures as the current versions are absolutely useless. Looking on the bright side, as we have booked accessible balcony cabins for several future cruises on Aurora and Suites for future cruises on Britannia and Ventura, I won't trouble myself any more over this whole debacle regarding upgrades. Unless we were upgraded to a Suite on Aurora (less than 1% chance I should think), we already have the best that we can get and will not benefit from being moved.

No problem.