Cruise virgin: Anything unusual I should bring with me in luggage?

You can bring an old card if you want but the cabin steward always has one stuck in the slot.

btw- it doesn't shut off the AC- only the lights.

You can all so rip off the back cardboard from the ships map they give you when you board the ship. That fits right in and when you leave the cabin just pull it half way out, so the light go off when you are not in the cabin.

You can all so rip off the back cardboard from the ships map they give you when you board the ship. That fits right in and when you leave the cabin just pull it half way out, so the light go off when you are not in the cabin.

Yea just about anything you can jam in the slot will keep the lights on for now BUT when the Medallions are in use it might be a different story. They might tie them into the system & you will have to be in the cabin with your Medallion to have lights on.

Yea just about anything you can jam in the slot will keep the lights on for now BUT when the Medallions are in use it might be a different story. They might tie them into the system & you will have to be in the cabin with your Medallion to have lights on.

I wonder how it will work with the Medallions. Right now it works fine for us. use the cardboard while we are in the cabin. Light get turned off when we leave the cabin.

I wonder how it will work with the Medallions. Right now it works fine for us. use the cardboard while we are in the cabin. Light get turned off when we leave the cabin.

I haven't actually seen anything connecting the Medallion use to the cabin lights but it might be tied in. I can't see why they wouldn't want the lights off when every one is out of the cabin- presumably the Medallions are with the person anyway.

We always substitute any old card in the slot to keep a bedside lamp on for when we return. I hate entering a dark cabin.

Medallions could work so much better turning on the light as soon as the door is unlocked.

First time cruiser on a 14 day to abc then cozumel. Trying to pack and finding myself feeling like I will most certainly forget something useful. Any tips would be appreciated.

We always bring a night light and/or some of the small battery operated tea lights and put one in the bathroom so we have some lighting at night.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Many times your smart phone will automatically change to the current time zone, not necessarily ship time.

You can turn the automatic time update (or whatever it's called) off in settings as well. I keep my phone and other electronics in airplane mode on the ship, but I have to check in with home/work when I am off the ship, so I find it easier to just turn that feature off completely.

Cheers,

Deb

Edited by callmedeb

Things we bring that at first glance you might not think of:

- Small day packs for shore excursions

- small binoculars (for on deck viewing - obviously optional but I enjoy having them)

- Less Clothes than you are originally thinking. (no one cares if you re-wear your clothes and there are do it yourself laundry facilities on board.)

- 3 or 4 Laundry pellets. (of course you can buy these on board, but I put a few in a small plastic bottle and they take up very little space.)

- a light pullover windbreaker or hoodie, but no more coats than that.

- dollar store throw away raincoats (these are sold in compressed bags so they can be carried easily until first used.)

- Ginger tablets (we take them every day just in case of rougher weather)

- Non drowsy Dramamine (or Bonine). Again, just in case, but a little strip of tablets takes up virtually no room.

- small amount of bug dope if you are doing an inland excursion (Like cave tubing in Belize or zip lining somewhere)

- sunglasses *** (Don't forget these), and obviously sunscreen.

- 2 bathing suits (just handy as we both enjoy the water (excursions and the hot tubs/pools on board). It's nice to be able to put a dry one on.)

- Don't bring your own towels. We did that first time, not realising you can take ship provided towels off the ship to the beach on your excursions.

- E-Readers. So much easier to carry than paper books.

- Camera.

- Formal wear if you plan on attending the 3 formal dinning nights on the 14 day cruise.

We did this same cruise two months ago and just loved it. You will too! Enjoy.

Don

No one mentioned the one thing that you would expect to find in the cabin but won't: an alarm clock. I have a very compact, very light L.L. Bean travel alarm, which I highly recommend.

True, there is no alarm clock, but you can go to the phone in the room and leave a request for a call back at a given time to wake you up. I've used that a few times. Saves carrying a travel alarm.

Tom

A small bottle of Wine Away if you drink red wine. The boat will rock and you most likely will spill whatever you are drinking at some point (I swear it's not me it's the boat -is my favorite line). I saved a white linen dress that was covered in red wine on my cruise this January.

Downey makes a little bottle of wrinkle releaser and clothes freshener. It is great for your dressier duds as you only wear them for a bit in the evening.