So little time in Tortola on Gem Itineraries

my3sonsnj

Just wondering if anyone knows why the Gem itineraries have such little time in Tortola?

Tortola is one of my favorite islands in the Caribbean :) I have a cruise booked on the Gem but I am thinking of switching to the Breakaway just because of the lack of time on Tortola. I really wanted a chance to get on the Gem before it repositioned to NOLA since I have been on the Breakaway many times already. This one thing is making me rethink my plans.

The Tortola port day on Gem itineraries seem to be a waste to me :confused:

we just got back from the gem and the caribbean itinerary. yes the time is limited. Our

1st time we did the ship excursion to the baths. So we could experience it. THis time we just got on a open taxi and went to Garden Cay on our own. It was enough beach time and there was a distillery right down the road you could visit and tour. Callwood distillery.

I would do the Gem if it is on your bucket list. So much different than the Breakaway.

What are your plans for Tortola? We go with ship excursion when time so limited. I like Gem more then breakaway much less crowds. Wonder bad disembark in the ports would be when everyone is the hurry to get off, or tendering in Tortola for 4000 passengers brr.

Just wondering if anyone knows why the Gem itineraries have such little time in Tortola?

Tortola is one of my favorite islands in the Caribbean :) I have a cruise booked on the Gem but I am thinking of switching to the Breakaway just because of the lack of time on Tortola. I really wanted a chance to get on the Gem before it repositioned to NOLA since I have been on the Breakaway many times already. This one thing is making me rethink my plans.

It was that way with the Escape also!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What are your plans for Tortola? We go with ship excursion when time so limited. I like Gem more then breakaway much less crowds. Wonder bad disembark in the ports would be when everyone is the hurry to get off, or tendering in Tortola for 4000 passengers brr.

I love the JVD excursion (which I do book through NCL) but I really don't want to be getting there at 8:30am :eek:

We have not had any problems with Breakaway excursions (NCL or private) and it is a pier disembark in Tortola, no tendering.

We were on the Gem last February and did the Jost Van Dyke excursion. We spent a couple of hours there. Definitely wish it was longer, but it was AMAZING. I highly recommend it if you're looking for a relaxing beach day. Be sure to go to the Soggy Dollar Bar.

Probably so Tortola can get 2 or more ships docking per day An AM call and a PM call

I've been there on a 7am to 1pm and a 1pm to 8pm port call. Both on the gem

Also from the cruise lines point of view.....the docking fees probably skyrocket after a certain timeframe

It has very little to getting back to home port or the next port in time because most ship arrive at the next port before their scheduled arrival time anyway....assuming no extenuating circumstances of course

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I highly recommend it if you're looking for a relaxing beach day. Be sure to go to the Soggy Dollar Bar.

This will be our first time in the BVI via cruise ship, though my wife and I along with another couple bare boated twice there with sailboats for ten days each.

On Jost Van Dyke Foxy's was the popular bar but now it seems to be the Soggy Dollar, so named because while we were anchored fairly close to shore, we tucked some dollar bills into our bathing suits and swam ashore, the dollars got pretty soggy with that. Nowadays we get those golden dollars, much better.

Probably so Tortola can get 2 or more ships docking per day An AM call and a PM call

I've been there on a 7am to 1pm and a 1pm to 8pm port call. Both on the gem

Also from the cruise lines point of view.....the docking fees probably skyrocket after a certain timeframe

It has very little to getting back to home port or the next port in time because most ship arrive at the next port before their scheduled arrival time anyway....assuming no extenuating circumstances of course

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with your analysis :D

I just wish they would stop the port days that give us less than a full day. It is such a waste of port time. Stay overnight somewhere instead or have a sea day. There has to be a better alternative to a half day in port that doesn't allow you to really experience that location.

They need that half day time to get back to NYC on time! I think my husband asked one of the officers last year. As soon as you leave tortola they pretty much go full speed back up the coast.

Because there was so little time we did the ship's tour to the virgin gorda baths. Got there and back with no issues. Definitely recommended :)

Also if you like Tortola the Breakaway does a full day there on their 14 day cruise! One of the reasons we booked the Breakaway.

They need that half day time to get back to NYC on time!

Also if you like Tortola the Breakaway does a full day there on their 14 day cruise! One of the reasons we booked the Breakaway.

Why is it that the Gem needs an extra 1/2 day to get back to NYC that the Breakaway does not?

I have done the 14 day Breakaway cruise ;-) I just wanted to try the Gem this time but I am really reconsidering because of the time in Tortola.

Why is it that the Gem needs an extra 1/2 day to get back to NYC that the Breakaway does not?

I have done the 14 day Breakaway cruise ;-) I just wanted to try the Gem this time but I am really reconsidering because of the time in Tortola.

Its plenty of time if you take an early tour. We did the JVD one and met at 7am and stayed till around 1130..it was the perfect ending to a wonderful cruise.

Its plenty of time if you take an early tour. We did the JVD one and met at 7am and stayed till around 1130..it was the perfect ending to a wonderful cruise.

I'm trying to escape the rush while on vacation, lol So a 7am meet up for a beach day, even if it is my favorite JVD beach, will not make it onto my "to do list" ;)

Skipping one of the islands included on every caribbean itinerary (i.e. Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Marteen) would be preferable to me over a half day on an island that is only on a few itineraries out of NYC. Just my opinion . . .

Look at it this way. If Gem leaves Tortola at 1pm on Wednesday, you arrive back in NY on Saturday, so you are only have 2 full sea days following sail away from Tortola. Any ship leaving Tortola at say 6pm, would arrive in NY on Sunday. That is about 3 1/4 days at sea.

BA is a newer ship and might travel at faster speeds. Last time I was on the Gem in Tortola I decided to stay on board. Dock wasn't finished yet. So with tendering it made the time on the island even shorter. Pity because I love that island. Fortunately the thing I like most is the gorgeous Sir Francis Drake Channel and I was able to enjoy the views from the ship.

• 3 weeks later...
Can anyone please tell me if there is enough time to go to Jost Van Dyke if the Gem is leaving Tortola at 1:00PM, I don't see this an an NCL excursion option.

JVD is added to excursions later on usually. I took the excursion at 7am in December and was back at 1230.

Can anyone please tell me if there is enough time to go to Jost Van Dyke if the Gem is leaving Tortola at 1:00PM, I don't see this an an NCL excursion option.

We bought the excursion from NCL online a few weeks ago. I know in the past it has often sold out prior to boarding.

BA is a newer ship and might travel at faster speeds. Last time I was on the Gem in Tortola I decided to stay on board. Dock wasn't finished yet. So with tendering it made the time on the island even shorter. Pity because I love that island. Fortunately the thing I like most is the gorgeous Sir Francis Drake Channel and I was able to enjoy the views from the ship.

The Gem actually has a higher top speed than BA.