Earliest Flight Time Home Out of FLL, Cruise Out of Miami

AOYAS

My husband and I will be on Vista (Port of Miami) the 28th-Feb 5th. Currently, our flight home on the 5th is out of Fort Lauderdale airport at 3:55pm. There's another flight at 9:55am that we could switch to, if we'd be able to get from the ship in Port of Miami to FLL in plenty of time. I'm just not sure if we'd be pushing our luck. I'd rather not sit at FLL all day waiting for the 3:55 flight if we could easily make the 9:55. But I'd rather sit at the airport all day than miss a too-early flight. Can anyone tell me which flight would be best? Realistically, what time will we be off the ship? How long from departing ship til arrival at FLL? We don't currently have transportation to the airport...going to reserve something once I have our flight time nailed down.

Also, if we do keep the 3:55pm flight, anyone have a recommendation for something to do for a few hours in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale instead of heading straight to the airport, keeping in mind that we'll have our luggage with us and no car. Thanks!

3:55pm

On our last cruise out of Miami, we debarked and took an Uber early enough to standby for an 8:45am flight, but I would've never purchased a confirmed flight that early. While everything worked out fine this time, it hasn't in the past. Sometimes we get off quickly, other times we don't. We just plan on a later flight and then if everything works out well, then we standby on an earlier one.

What's your airline's policy concerning standing by on an earlier flight? Some will allow you to do it free of charge. Others will charge a fee around $50. Planning on a later flight but standing by for an earlier one is the way to go for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

3:55pm

Can you make it and will you make it? Many people ask. Yes it is possible, but realistic is another.

They are many variables as to why you might not, with very few that you will.

Do you want to spend your last day on the cruise worrying about it.

Sorry Tapi meant to respond to OP

Personally I would go with the 3:55.

Edited by beerman2
Response to wrong person

I just got off Glory on Saturday in Miami. We had faster to the fun (priority Debarkation)and then took a Uber to the Airport, arrived a little before 9, but the lines were getting long. It was after your 9:55 time that we made it through security. Don't forget that they start to board about 30 mins before that. Our flight was 11:35...I wouldn't book anything before that. Ps we called for an uber right as we were exiting the terminal and an uber was there in literally 3 mins! Plus it was 20 dollars off our first ride because my boyfriend download it for the first time on his phone.

Edited by fendawg42

We are doing the same thing in April! Our flight is at 6pm. The only other was 930am that seamed way to early for me to feel comfortable. So we decided to book an excursion through Carnival.

Once we arrive in Miami, we are going on the Everglades and Fll airport transfer! So they will store our luggage and get us to the airport and we get to do something fun!

I think we will still be to the airport about noon or one I don't remember but this might be something for you all to do if interested!

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

My husband and I will be on Vista (Port of Miami) the 28th-Feb 5th. Currently, our flight home on the 5th is out of Fort Lauderdale airport at 3:55pm. There's another flight at 9:55am that we could switch to, if we'd be able to get from the ship in Port of Miami to FLL in plenty of time. I'm just not sure if we'd be pushing our luck. I'd rather not sit at FLL all day waiting for the 3:55 flight if we could easily make the 9:55. But I'd rather sit at the airport all day than miss a too-early flight. Can anyone tell me which flight would be best? Realistically, what time will we be off the ship? How long from departing ship til arrival at FLL? We don't currently have transportation to the airport...going to reserve something once I have our flight time nailed down.

Also, if we do keep the 3:55pm flight, anyone have a recommendation for something to do for a few hours in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale instead of heading straight to the airport, keeping in mind that we'll have our luggage with us and no car. Thanks!

The second time we flew out of FLL, the TSA line was over 90 minutes long. they denied boarding to several groups even though the plane was still at the gate, but they weren't there soon enough and their seats had already been given away by the time they arrived.

Last cruise, we got in the worst customs line ever, it took over 45 minutes for us to get through our line, while all the other lines flew past us.

so many things can affect your time from port to terminal. only you can decide how much risk is too much. for us? I would book the later flight.

955 is cutting it close.

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone! Looks like our current flight at 3:55 is best. I appreciate your help!

2 questions:

1. I understand that on debarkation day, the crew probably wants us off the ship asap in order to turn it over for the new cruisers, but since we won't be in a huge hurry to get to the airport, how late will it be possible to hang out on the ship before debarking...say, in the lobby or buffet area or something? Is there an area of the ship where people go to be last to debark?

2. The Everglades/FLL shuttle excursion through Carnival states that it's only for people whose flights are after 4pm out of FLL. I realize that 3:55 is before 4pm, but I'm wondering if this would be a possibility for us. Has anyone ever done this excursion, and if so, what time did you arrive at FLL?

Thanks again!

You would more than likely miss the early flights.

In a perfect world,

If you took your bags off, were in the first group off the ship, not checking luggage, you may get there before they cut off boarding.

I wouldn't risk it. I would be stressed out.

Enjoy your cruise and take the piece of mind with that later flight

Also for piece of mind I would not do that to excursion either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jennybenny

We have done just what you are describing in the past and made it in time but barely!!! It is way too much stress (we travel with my parents that are in their late 60s and don't move too fast and have to go to the bathroom every 30 minutes!!)!!! Even if you are able to check your bags for with SkyCap at the curb, getting through customs at the airport may be a nightmare! We now don't book anything before 1:00 PM so that we don't feel rushed to get off the ship, no stress in how long the line is to debark/customs at the cruise terminal, etc.

Happy travels!!