Did an M-class lover find happiness on the S-class?

warmwinds

Yes! We had been avoiding the S-class because of minute details that we thought would be deal breakers for us and make us miss our beloved ships, but we really enjoyed our just-off 3 night Silhouette cruise (we did just a 3 night to get our toes wet). Not everything was perfect but there is no reason for us to stay away. Oh, and "Fact" means "My Opinion" :)

1) Worry: Loud music in the Atrium! Hip-hop/techno everywhere! Can't find a quiet place anywhere!

Fact: Music in the Atrium was great! We were ourselves dancing down there - but I can see how it might be disturbing if your cabin is close by. And the music all around the ship was great - a wide variety, and not too loud anywhere. And we didn't hear any hip hop/techno or anything else strange to us.

2) Worry: Only 2 sets of stairs/elevators - you'll be walking forever!

Fact: yes, 2 sets, but once you get used to their location, you can adjust - I agree an aft cabin would be a LOT of walking, but you have to walk aft to get to most of the food anyway, so it is a non-issue.

3) Worry: Solarium pool is not like the T-pool.

Fact: This is, unfortunately, very true. We thought it was frrreezing (until you got in, then it was just cold), (and until you accepted the fact it is not the wonderful T-pool)...problem we also had with the outdoor pools - they are not easy to get in and out of - they have ladders rather than steps all the way in, and one is sort of "too shallow" and one is "too deep".

4) Worry: The aft cabins do not have the huge balconies overlooking the wake.

Fact: I guess it's true, but we didn't book one of them anyway. We had a quiet AQ2 near the front, and for the first time in eons had a regular sized balcony instead of the aft humungoes. And we survived. Sure, it's nice to have all the space out there, but we were ok without it.

5) Worry: Blu is not as nice on the S as on the M. Tables too close together.

Fact: We couldn't discern any difference in the spacing of the tables at all! We like having the closeness to either converse with your neighbors or not.

In general, we loved the Silhouette - we thought the flow of the ship was almost nicer than the M-class ships. It took me several cruises to feel I really "knew" where everything was on the M-class, but I felt 3 days on the S and I didn't even have to look at maps anymore.

It was a wonderful but way too short cruise. Will never do less than a week again. And we won't care what ship we book.

My main issue with the S class is the fitness center locker room. VERY small compared to M. Except for Reflection, the PG is smaller too, although has different offerings. I kind of like the "dark" atmosphere in the M PG, but many prefer the brightness of the S Class. We also miss the T pool.

Edited by marieps

My main issue with the S class is the fitness center locker room. VERY small compared to M. Except for Reflection, the PG is smaller too, although has different offerings. I kind of like the "dark" atmosphere in the M PG, but many prefer the brightness of the S Class. We also miss the T pool.

I've never "gotten" the appeal of the PG on any of the ships (we usually do go AQ so have the access) - yes the room was brighter on the S but I didn't care for people showering right behind the chairs (how is that quiet and relaxing?), and I honestly don't find the hard chairs to be that comfortable. Yes they are warm but I find the hardness and one position is not a one-size-fits-all.

Glad you enjoyed. I like both classes. I'd give the edge (!) to the S-class for overall layout, but they'd be better if they'd kept the T-pool.

Re: the walking from aft: my issue is that to get to the food, you have to walk to the middle of the ship and then walk back to the back of the ship pretty much wherever you go. So, you're effectively walking the length of the ship when you want to eat. Good for keeping the exercise up, but there was one night after a long day onshore that I walked from my aft room to the elevators on my way to dinner and realized I'd left my Seapass in the room. I really felt like I was going to cry. :D

We also miss the T pool.

Yes!

We really enjoy both classes for different reasons, but do miss that T Pool on S-Class ships. Fingers crossed that Celebrity will PLEASE address this and ensure there is a T Pool on the Edge-Class ships... that, AND an aft set of elevators/stairs.