Rome Day Trip Mt Vesuvius & Pompeii and Museum in one day?

coco33

I am planning a day trip from Rome to Naples to see Pompeii, hike Mt Vesuvius (go to the top) and go to the Naples National Archaeological Museum

Is this possible to do in one day?

I know the train from Rome to Naples is less than 3 hours

Take a train to Pompeii, spend 3+ hours there.

I believe a train goes to Mt. Vesuvius as well

Spent 3 hrs there

Come back to the city and spend the rest of the day/night at the Museum

Do you think I can squeeze in Herculaneum or am I being absolutely crazy now?

As far a priority of things to do

the museum being number one

Mt. Vesuvius number two

Pompeii being three

Just for info. My cruise starts in Rome, but I want to arrive earlier to do some day trips. So this is one of the ideas I am thinking about.

My cruise also stops in Naples, but during that day, I am planning on taking a guided tour to Amalfi coast which also includes 2 hours at Pompeii.

So I could technically spend less time at Pompeii the first time I go there.

Please advice me on what to do. thanks in advance.

I am planning a day trip from Rome to Naples to see Pompeii, hike Mt Vesuvius (go to the top) and go to the Naples National Archaeological Museum

Is this possible to do in one day?

I know the train from Rome to Naples is less than 3 hours

Take a train to Pompeii, spend 3+ hours there.

I believe a train goes to Mt. Vesuvius as well

Spent 3 hrs there

Come back to the city and spend the rest of the day/night at the Museum

Do you think I can squeeze in Herculaneum or am I being absolutely crazy now?

As far a priority of things to do

the museum being number one

Mt. Vesuvius number two

Pompeii being three

Just for info. My cruise starts in Rome, but I want to arrive earlier to do some day trips. So this is one of the ideas I am thinking about.

My cruise also stops in Naples, but during that day, I am planning on taking a guided tour to Amalfi coast which also includes 2 hours at Pompeii.

So I could technically spend less time at Pompeii the first time I go there.

Please advice me on what to do. thanks in advance.

Personally I think you are trying to do to much. If your on a port day , definitely don't try it.

Okay, you had me up until the part about adding Herculaneum. That would be crazy given your timeframe. :eek::eek: However, the extra information you provided did give me an idea that might work for you....

Given that you will visit Pompeii on your Naples day as part of your Amalfi Coast tour, I would consider planning your daytrip from Rome to include Herculaneum, Vesuvius, and the Archaeological Museum. Whether you spend 2 hours or 5 hours (total) at Pompeii you'll only scratch the surface.

My proposal:

You can take a fast train from Roma Termini (leaves 7:35 am) to Naples Central station (arrives 8:45 am).

Transfer to the Circumvesuviana line (downstairs in the same train station) to go to Herculaneum -- you have to buy a separate ticket. Travel to Herculaneum (station name: Ercolano Scavi) takes about 20 minutes and trains leave about every half hour. There's one at 9:11 am which you should be able to make if you're fast... Next one would be 9:41.

Walk from train station to Herculaneum (downhill, sign-posted), about 10 minutes. Plan to spend about 2 hours at the site. It should now be close to noon.

Walk back to train station, stopping to get some quick lunch on the way. At the station, you can make arrangements to go to Mt Vesuvius, either by making your own arrangements with a taxi or van, or going with a service like Vesuvio Express, which runs a regular shuttle. I'd allow 3 hours to do this and get back to the Ercolano Scavi station.

It's now about 3:30 or so. You can take the Circumvesuviana train back to Naples and get off at the same station (called either Garibaldi or Napoli Centrale, depending what line(s) you're using....)

Using the same ticket from the Circumvesuviana return, transfer to the metro (Linea 2) to Cavour, then follow signs to "Museo" once you get off. It's quick, only a few minutes.

Assuming you get to the Museum by 4:30 at latest, you could spend a couple of hours -- it closes at 7:30. Be sure NOT to plan your trip on a Tuesday, as that's the weekly closing day.

Return to Napoli Centrale/Garibaldi. Head upstairs to catch train back to Rome. The last "super fast" train departs at 7:30 pm and takes 1 hr 10 minutes back to Rome -- but there are other, later options that take from 1:45 mins to 2:10 mins. if you want to stay longer....

As you can see it's a whirlwind day. But easier, I think, with Herculaneum than with Pompeii as the former is closer to both Naples and to Vesuvius, thereby saving you a little time.

Yes, as a day trip from Rome (not a port stop in Rome) you can do this. It will be a long day and you'll be tired, but it's certainly possible.

Let me lay out what I think is the most efficient way to do this.

The fast train from Rome to Naples takes only 70 minutes; the first train of the day departs Rome at 7:35 AM and arrives to Naples at 8:45.

At Napoli Centrale follow the signs to the lower level Circumvesuviana Garibaldi station where you take the Naples-Sorrento line to the Pompei Scavi/Villa Misteri stop. There is a train every half hour or so, therefore you should be able to get to the ruins just before 10 AM (current Circumvesuviana schedule here: http://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/eavferro/Napoli%20-%20Sorrento_1.pdf).

Plan your visit to the ruins in one direction, entering at Porta Marina (just around the corner from the Villa Misteri train station) and exiting at Anfiteatro. The reason for this is that the start of the bus line to Vesuvio is just outside the Anfiteatro entrance/exit of the ruins so you'll minimize backtracking this way.

Because you're trying to cram so much into one day you'll wind up with a fairly short visit to the ruins, but according to your list this isn't the top priority so hopefully that will be okay.

After two hours in the ruins, exit at Anfiteatro in order to catch the 12:10 bus to Vesuvio, arriving at 1:05 PM. You do need to purchase a ticket in advance but you can do so at the newsstand right near the entrance/exit.

The walk up the Grand Cone of the volcano and back doesn't take long, it's only one mile. The last bus back to Naples from Vesuvio departs at 2 PM, so if you limit yourself to the walk up the volcano (at most 30 minutes, less if you're in good shape) and a quick look around at the top, you could make the 2 PM bus. There is NO FALLBACK if you miss this bus. This bus schedule is here: http://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/eavbus/Napoli%20-%20Vesuvio.pdf

Get off the bus at Piazza Garibaldi in Naples, in front of the train station, and get on the Metro Line 1 for five stops to Museo: http://www.anm.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=71&Itemid=98%20

You should be at the museum by 3 PM, allowing you up to fourth and a half hours before the museum closes at 7:30 PM.

You can take the metro back to the train station (really it's the fastest way to get there, given the traffic on the roads) in time to make the last fast train back to Rome at 8:36 PM.

You can see that the middle of this day is tight and fraught with possibilities for failures. If it's within your budget, I would look at hiring a car service to take you from Pompei to Vesuvio, wait for one hour while you make the climb, then drive you on to Naples. Get several quotes but I would expect to pay between €150 - €200 for this service. I know it's expensive but it would remove almost all of the variability from this trip.

Edited to add:

I just read Cruisemom's suggestion and I agree, Herculeneum would make so much more sense for this day trip. Save Pompei for your already planned Naples stop and make this day trip so much easier on yourself.

Edited by euro cruiser

How many are you on this adventure? We were a family of 4 when we stayed in Rome (not on a cruise) and rented a car and driver for the day. We arranged our own tour going to the places we wanted to see. Our driver picked the four of us up at our apartment rental in Rome; drove us to Sorrento for a quick stop, Postiano for lunch high up on a cliff, and then to Pompeii where we met another tour guide who took us through Pompeii. At the end of the tour, the driver took us back to our apartment in Rome. Pompeii is an amazing place (I had been there many years ago) and we enjoyed it very much!

It was not the cheapest option but when you added up that it was for the four of us, it certainly became doable. Plus, driving back to Rome at 95 mph in traffic was nice since we weren't doing the driving! All in all a very long but wonderful day!

Edited by Ski Mom 2

Oh my goodness, thank you so much Ski Mom2 and Euro Cruiser, love the detailed instructions. I am going to print them out.

Cruise Critic members are so wonderful.

I understand there are time constrictions with my plans but I am ok with that.

You guys are right, Pompeii is a no go during this day, since I am going to visit it on my tour.

SkiMom2 it will be 3 of us (my parents and me)

• 1 month later...

Just an update, looks like there has been a change of plans. We would like to visit Herculaneum, Mt. Vesuvius (still hiking to top) and instead of the Naples Museum we would like to visit Pompeii. How could we do this?

Just an update, looks like there has been a change of plans. We would like to visit Herculaneum, Mt. Vesuvius (still hiking to top) and instead of the Naples Museum we would like to visit Pompeii. How could we do this?

The order doesn't matter much, but I think you need to spend the money for a private taxi from the Ercolano Scavi station to Vesuvio and back rather than use the group van/bus service (unless there is one leaving immediately when you get there, if not you can't spare the time to wait). There are always taxis waiting in the piazza in front of the Ercolano Scavi station to take you to the Grand Cone trail up Vesuvio.

So either Vesuvio, Herculeneum, Pompei or Herculeneum, Vesuvio Pompei, or Pompei, Vesuvio, Herculeneum, or Pompei, Herculeneum, Vesuvio.

The key to selection is the weather. If you get to Naples in the morning and you can see Vesuvio clearly, do the walk up in the morning. If you can't, wait until later in the day on the hope that the haze burns off and the view improves.

I would also consider which of the three is least important to you and leave that for last, in case you are simply too tired to do it all.

I'm confused. Your first post listed the Museum as your first priority. Are you no longer planning to see it?

Also, you were going to visit Pompeii as part of a port stop/Amalfi tour later. Did that change? :confused:

Yes, during the port stop in Naples, I decided to do a tour that did not include Pompeii, so during this day trip from Rome before my cruise I would like to see Mt.Vesuvius (hike to top) Herculaneum, and Pompeii.

How do I get from the Herculaneum site to Pompeii? Are there taxis around? Thanks in advance.

Yes, during the port stop in Naples, I decided to do a tour that did not include Pompeii, so during this day trip from Rome before my cruise I would like to see Mt.Vesuvius (hike to top) Herculaneum, and Pompeii.

How do I get from the Herculaneum site to Pompeii? Are there taxis around? Thanks in advance.

There may or may not be taxis in front of the site in Herculaneum. If you walk up the hill to the train station, there may be taxis there or you can just take the train (they run about every half hour and it's approximately 20 minutes from the Ercolano Scavi stop to the Pompei Scavi stop.)

Still seems a shame to miss the museum. Much as I am a fan of both Pompeii and Herculaneum, they do have a certain sameness....whereas the museum provides the context (frescoes, mosaics, objects) that are missing from the sites.

How did the museum go from number 1 to last in priority? It would be a shame to miss it. Your already going to Pompeii on your cruise stop in Naples so I would make the mt climb and museum the priority and try to fit in Herculaneum if you can.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have been to this area many times--on cruises, educational tours, and as independent travelers. After spending many days buzzing around to different sites in order to see as much as possible in a limited time, I have adopted the following philosophy--see as few sites as possible in one day!

When you do itineraries like you are proposing, you get embroiled in complicated logistics, wear yourself out physically and mentally, and worse of all, your memories of all you see become blended together. I suggest you pick ONE site you want to see for the day and savor it completely.

Pick one and do it right. If you go to Pompeii, you can spend the whole day and not see it all. It is a huge site--I've been 5 times and still make new discoveries each time I return. Herculaneum is smaller but needs several hours to do it justice.

If you hike Vesuvius, spend some time at the top sipping a Lacryma Christi (from grapes produced on Vesuvius' slopes--there's a little stand where you can buy it) as you enjoy the view over the bay of Naples.

Two trips you could combine easily would be a trip to the Archeological Museum and Rick Steve's walk through Naples.

By doing less you will remember more. And you won't be exhausted on your next port day.

We have been to this area many times--on cruises, educational tours, and as independent travelers. After spending many days buzzing around to different sites in order to see as much as possible in a limited time, I have adopted the following philosophy--see as few sites as possible in one day!

When you do itineraries like you are proposing, you get embroiled in complicated logistics, wear yourself out physically and mentally, and worse of all, your memories of all you see become blended together. I suggest you pick ONE site you want to see for the day and savor it completely.

Pick one and do it right. If you go to Pompeii, you can spend the whole day and not see it all. It is a huge site--I've been 5 times and still make new discoveries each time I return. Herculaneum is smaller but needs several hours to do it justice.

If you hike Vesuvius, spend some time at the top sipping a Lacryma Christi (from grapes produced on Vesuvius' slopes--there's a little stand where you can buy it) as you enjoy the view over the bay of Naples.

Two trips you could combine easily would be a trip to the Archeological Museum and Rick Steve's walk through Naples.

By doing less you will remember more. And you won't be exhausted on your next port day.

Very good points plane2ports, I am thinking now maybe I should do two days in Naples before my cruise so I am not rushed and can go to Pompeii in the morning and the museum in the afternoon.

Thanks everyone for your responses.