Shore Excursions

jonsmum

We are thinking of booking our first Oceania cruise, but would like to get some idea of the extra costs that we may incur, before doing so. I have searched everywhere, but cannot find any indication of the cost of Oceania organised shore excursions. I've found examples of the things previously offered, but there are no prices listed. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or give me examples of typical costs? For example - a 4 hour sightseeing trip? Many thanks.:cool:

We are thinking of booking our first Oceania cruise, but would like to get some idea of the extra costs that we may incur, before doing so. I have searched everywhere, but cannot find any indication of the cost of Oceania organised shore excursions. I've found examples of the things previously offered, but there are no prices listed. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or give me examples of typical costs? For example - a 4 hour sightseeing trip? Many thanks.:cool:

Shore Excursions are often included in the fare for British passengers, through a promotion which Oceania calls O-life.

It may make more sense for you to check and see if the cruise which you are interested in an O-life voyage , before researching specific tour prices.

go to O website, choose a cruise that might sail in a couple of months on "find a cruise" tab, in an area that might interest you...say the Med.

click on that cruise, click on " itinerary" then choose a port and click on it....it should give you the shorex that are being offered and details about it...meal included, total hrs, if any free time offered....etc.

have fun planning! O is wonderful.

And while you're at it do some research into private tours which can actually cost far less and give you the control over the excursion instead of having to share a bus with forty other people.

You know, not all the buses are full up with 40 people. Our experience has been that they were never filled up. They are not all cattle calls. And they do have certain advantages for those with some limited mobility, insecurities, etc. And the ship will wait for them, which can matter (although not as much as it used to, I understand).

Please be kind to those of us who are idiots and do utilize ships tours. Thanks.

Donna

(an idiot who has enjoyed private tours but also likes the ship's excursions, pricey though they are.)

Toranut97,

We've done both private and O shorex and people should know that there are some places in the world that O, and any other cruise ship in port, might have purchased the services of all the good guides in that area.

I agree, we have had wonderful guides using O's shorex and have rarely had 40 people on a bus.

Toranut97,

We've done both private and O shorex and people should know that there are some places in the world that O, and any other cruise ship in port, might have purchased the services of all the good guides in that area.

I agree, we have had wonderful guides using O's shorex and have rarely had 40 people on a bus.

Thank you! I am afraid this is a pet peeve of mine. I know some people relish the research and planning and saving $$$! That is fine. But I am with you - sometimes we have met wonderful new friends, and had great experiences with the ship tours....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The prices came up recently for our cruise in July. Nothing was less than 169.

That was for a walking tour. Most were in the 199 range. Several were 250 or over. There is a discount if you buy 6 (each). You could buy an unlimited package for something like 1400 (each) for a 12 day cruise. Most people on our roll call are arranging private tours with 6-8 people. For the 5 excursions I am part of they have been from $40 to $95 (each) or the same thing Oceania offers. It takes some research and coordination with fellow passengers, you don't know. But there is a savings. I think it's a personal thing, if you have the money to spend freely and feel more comfortable, then the ship excursions are great.

The few I've taken on Oceania have been fine, generally not that many people.

Most European ports offer a very inexpensive walking tour, if you look online.

There doesn't seem much risk involved in something like that and they are often from 15e to 45e.

You should check your roll call if interested in finding private tours.

If you're doing European ports of call, Frommers.com has wonderful DIY walking tours with accompanying maps that you can print and download.

Frommers and Fodors, to a lesser extent, have been my go-to for years. Rick Steves also has some great DIY walking tours.

Don't forget to look for Hop On-Hop Off (HOHO) in many major cities; it is also an excellent way to see cities at your own speed and inclination. (The one in Cape Town was excellent and one of the stops took us straight to the bottom of Table Mt and our tickets allowed us to bypass the lines to go up!

Have fun planning and researching!