Dress code - not for gala nights

Essexgirl66

Going on first p&o cruises after doing the smaller lines. I am slightly confused by the dress code. On the p&o site mentions during the day where what you want but at night men can wear open shirt smart jeans and ladies either dresses or 2 piece no trainers either.

Now the confusion is do you really have to wear this attire at night ? Even if was going to eat in the buffet or go to Brodies ?

On previous cruise lines was a case of wear what you want apart from formal nights and gala nights in a restaurant.

So can we doss round at night wearing jeans t shirts and trainers or will we be thrown overboard ?

Here's the guideline for Evening Casual attire from the P&O website:

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal for Evening Casual nights, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual long trousers (not shorts or 3/4 length trousers) for men. A jacket and smart trousers can be worn but are not compulsory. Smart dark denim is also fine, but not trainers, football shirts or tracksuits.

It clearly states above that trainers and tracksuits are a no-no and men's shirts must have a collar. From my one P&O cruise in December, I can tell you that everyone adhered very closely to the dress code. I worry that you would stand out if you didn't comply.

That's the best advice I can offer. Good luck, and happy sailing.

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

Realistically, booking a P&O cruise when one has strong views on issues specifically mentioned in their literature and website is probably not the best idea.

If I found myself in this position, and I wont because neither of the aforementioned situations would be a problem to me I should not book with an operator. If I later found that I had overlooked an issue such as this I would in this instance take the pragmatic approach and buy some appropriate clothes. Which I judge as better than walking around in jeans, wondering if staff might challenge me, when going to the buffet.

What were the names of the smaller lines?

Regards John

Edited by john watson

If you want to doss around at night in jeans and t-shirts then you will be ok going to buffet even though you will receive a few stares. If you go to brodies wanting to doss around you will receive more stares and obviously stand out. You will miss out on a lot of the evening facilities through dossing around but you are indicating you are aware of that.

You seem to have researched your choice of P&O after making your choice rather than before. Hopefully you will enjoy your cruise.

Going on first p&o cruises after doing the smaller lines. I am slightly confused by the dress code. On the p&o site mentions during the day where what you want but at night men can wear open shirt smart jeans and ladies either dresses or 2 piece no trainers either.

Now the confusion is do you really have to wear this attire at night ? Even if was going to eat in the buffet or go to Brodies ?

On previous cruise lines was a case of wear what you want apart from formal nights and gala nights in a restaurant.

So can we doss round at night wearing jeans t shirts and trainers or will we be thrown overboard ?

Oh dear did you book direct with pando or via a TA. If via a TA did they not mention that pando has a dress code and overwhelmingly most people stick to it.

When you say small lines did you mean Thomson. I have travelled with them and know that you can wear jeans/t's of an evening .

It really is up to you. There will be places you will not be allowed into.

You will not be thrown overboard. I would say more likely to stand out . If you are happy with that all well and good.

Firstly I have read all literature about dress code hence I asked the question.

The smaller lines where you could go casual apart from Gala night was the CMV, Fred Olsen and MSC lines and if you didn't want to go to Gala night you could still "doss" round in jeans and t shirt and trainers - comfortable wear and go watch the shows. Some dressed like us others in full attire.

The booking was made as a surprise and only found out recently but even dress code sounds a bit poncy still very happy choosing this line.

Stares ? Stand out ?? Really... ? Do I want to be a sheep ? cause everyone else who is going to buffet and Brodies want to wear their posh frocks and bow ties... Not really.

Some said might be refused certain parts I wont be allowed into ? I assume you mean the restaurants ?

I will dress appropriately if attending one of the formal nights or whatever but if I just want to relax surely I want to relax in something I feel comfortable in.

How about smart jeans, a nice blouse and smart shoes or again its a no no for jeans cause I might stand out.... really sound playground ish and you are obviously ones who care what people think.

Baaaaaa

On formal nights dressed like that as well as the restaurant (but not buffet) there will be one or two bars you can't use, but the rest of the ship is open to you.

On non-formal nights, no problem anywhere.

You will get one or two passengers look down their noses and mutter comments, but the staff won't care.

It seems to me that for evening casual nights the critical things are:

Jeans should be dress ones not stonewashed or frayed and full of holes.

Tee shirts should actually have a collar and at least a short sleeve. something like a polo shirt would be fine.

Trainers should be dress trainers not those brilliant white things. I have two pairs, grey and blue.

On black tie nights the above still applies except there are various restaurants and some bars where formal dress is required.

In dress code discussions it is difficult to avoid the 'fashion police' who want people to comply with what they consider to be 'proper' dress, not what the company dress code states.

There was an amusing episode of 'fashion police' over on the Cunard board. Apparently chinos were deemed to be unsuitable wear for casual evenings :confused:

I googled it - Chino is the cloth type. It is a fine twill with a diagonal weave that drapes well, not the cut of the trouser. It has been around for over 150 years as well. Maybe what they really wanted was razor sharp creases on beige slacks :rolleyes:

As a first timer on P&O the dress code did concern us, 4 formal nights in a fortnight cruise is definitely over the top. But it wasn't a problem as the food in the MDR was so bad we ate in the Beach House and the Limelight during those occasions. The buffet is also non-formal but the food there is equally as bad as the MDR.