Who has recently sailed Allure & did MTD?

Sun Lover

I'd like to hear from anyone who has sailed recently on Allure and did the My Time Dining. We will be on that ship in a couple weeks and are doing the MTD, which we have never done before. We were originally signed up for early seating, but when they changed it to 5:30, it's just too early for us. Can you tell me what your experience with MTD was like, particularly what time you usually showed up for dinner and how long you had to wait to be seated? Also if there's just 2 of us, will we be seated sooner than larger parties? Do we have any choice where we sit or what waiter we get? Thanks for your help.

We did Allure two years ago (not exactly recently but hey) and had MTD. We always choose MTD and love the flexibility, so I may be biased.

There were five of us in our party on the Allure. On normal dining nights, we were seated within 10 minutes. On the two formal nights, the wait was about 20 minutes.

We didn't show up at any given time, which is the beauty of MTD In my opinion. We just showed up when we were ready to eat.

My experience is that small parties get seated faster than large parties. (On land and at sea.)

I've requested to be seated with a specific waiter and have been allowed to do so. Just bear in mind, that you may have to wait longer to get seated with your desired waiter.

I hope this helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, We were MTD on the Allure two weeks ago. It worked great for us. We were a party of two and generally hit the dining room around 6-6:30. We were always seated quickly- sometimes just the two of us and other times they asked if we would join others, and we did. We never waited in either case more than five minutes. Perhaps this is due in part to our flexibility. We never asked for the same table or waiter, so I can not speak to that question of yours. We noticed the lines were much longer as we were leaving the dining room- so perhaps the experience would be different at a later time in the evening. Have a wonderful cruise, we sure did!

We were on Allure late Nov/early Dec and did MTD. The day we boarded the ship, we went to the MTD podium and made a reservation (we were just two of us) for 6:45 each evening.

We're glad we had the reservations. There were long lines several nights for the folks who did not make reservations. We were seated quickly each evening, and most of the time we were in the same section, with the same wait staff, but not every evening. We had no problem with that.

You do have the option of making reservations now for each evening in MTD online, or by calling a customer service rep at RCI.

If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask. Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by KeywestK

We sail in April but MTD opened up in our cruise planner several weeks ago and we made reservations for five nights as we had already planned two specialty restaurants (Giovanni's was on sale around Thanksgiving; First Night Done Right.) About two weeks ago they opened up the reservations for the various shows/entertainment so we reserved those online. At that time we modified a couple of the MTD times to work better with the shows. The way we figure it.....it is better to have reservations and tweak them on board than not have anything reserved.

Thanks for the information. I did try to make reservations online and by phone and the only times they had were very early or late. I'll try to do that when we board, though. Thanks again.

Make your replies as soon as you get on the ship. You should be able to get your preferred time. Have a great cruise.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

My wife,son and I did MTD on the January 8th voyage. We were also on the ship with a group of forty on November 6th, 2016. The waiter, Barry from Jamaica and his assistant Sharriann from Jamaica were excellent. We stopped on the first day and asked if we could sit in their section during the week and have a reservation for 8:30PM. They advised us that it wouldn't be a problem. They had been moved from another location in the dinning room and were responsible for three tables of four and a larger table of eight. They remembered us immediately and we had a wonderful time. Barry explained that most tables in the American Icon MTD Restaurant are turned over at least three times during their opening hours. I'm not a member of the Fashion Police but I did notice many passengers wearing shorts, cutoff shirts, and baseball caps in the American Icon Restaurant.

• 3 weeks later...

We were on Allure Jan 8-15, 2017 and only went to the MDR two nights. The first night we went was the 2nd formal night. Although we had reservations for 6:45, we waited in line for about 15 minutes and then when we got to the hostess, we waited another 10-15 minutes.

The other night, which was the last night, we again had reservations for 6:45 and only waited about 2 minutes to get seated. We did not have the same wait staff both nights, nor did we sit in the same area. The line with no reservations on the formal night was really long, but not as long the last night.

• 2 weeks later...

Cruised on Allure btw 12-19 of Febr and we had MTD.

We really liked the idea to go eating whenever we felt like. We usually ended up around 7.30 - 8.15 and the longest we had to wait was for 10 minutes. We started with a drink while waiting for the table. It was very smooth! It was me and my husband and we got a table for 2 every night.

Enjoy your Cruise! We had the best vacation ever :D

also on the Allure for 2/12-19.. MTD was not an issue at all..

table for two on 3rd night (we did Giovanni's & Chops on first 2) waited about 10 min.. when leaving, made reservations for next night & had no wait at all..

rest of the week varied between 5 to 10 min wait for table for two..

I don't mind waiting as long as there's a bar nearby. Where is the nearest bar and do they have a pager like system, or do we have to keep checking-in? There will just be the two of us, my lovely girlfriend and me.

No pager system. Champagne Bar is close to the dining room entrance on deck 5.

I did MTD dinner 4 times on the Allure just last week. Arrives around 6:15 p.m. and was seated promptly with no more than 2 or 3 people in front. When we walk out around 7:30 p.m., the line is 20 to 25 people long.Only exception is second formal night (Lobster night), arrives at 6:05 p.m. to find 30 plus people in unreserved line. Good thing my reservation is for 6:00 p.m. so we just walk right up to the receptionist on the left lane for people with reservation..

From the looks of the Cruise Compass you can make reservations the same day no later than 4pm or 4:30. I've had MTD on my first (and only other) cruise and we never made a reservation. Only waited about 5 mins tops on one night, and was seated promptly the other nights. However, seeing how Allure of HUGE I may make reservations for the formal nights and just wait for the other nights.

The reason my girlfriend and I love MTD is that we are not on a schedule when it comes to eating. We plan some things but for the most part we are pretty spontaneous and like to eat only when we are hungry. I know some people are more on schedule when it comes to meals. Noon = lunch. 6pm = dinner. But for us it can be anytime for any meal. I LOVE that ships now do MTD!

I don't mind waiting as long as there's a bar nearby. Where is the nearest bar and do they have a pager like system, or do we have to keep checking-in? There will just be the two of us, my lovely girlfriend and me.

There is a bar just inside of the MTD restaurant where we had drinks many a night with our favourite bartender while waiting for our table which was never a long wait.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Forums mobile app

There is a bar just inside of the MTD restaurant where we had drinks many a night with our favourite bartender while waiting for our table which was never a long wait.Sent from my SM-G903W using Forums mobile app

This is what I like to hear! Thank! Are you allowed to bring drinks to your table? Heaven knows I've done this many times in Vegas.

Hi, We're going on back to back cruises next December on the Allure. We will be doing MTD for the first time. We've heard that we don't have to pay gratuities for the whole week (we do plan to do specialty dining at least a couple of times on each cruise, and also the WindJammer a couple of times). How exactly are gratuities handled for the MTD wait staff? Are we auto-billed gratuities for the number of days we use MTD? Do we put some cash in an envelope and hand it to them each night? Also, if we are auto-billed, are others like the head waiter, bar tender and cabin steward included in the bill? Thanks for any wisdom you can give us.

Hi, We're going on back to back cruises next December on the Allure. We will be doing MTD for the first time. We've heard that we don't have to pay gratuities for the whole week (we do plan to do specialty dining at least a couple of times on each cruise, and also the WindJammer a couple of times). How exactly are gratuities handled for the MTD wait staff? Are we auto-billed gratuities for the number of days we use MTD? Do we put some cash in an envelope and hand it to them each night? Also, if we are auto-billed, are others like the head waiter, bar tender and cabin steward included in the bill? Thanks for any wisdom you can give us.

You will be auto-billed for every day of the cruise, whether or not you go to the dining room. The automatic gratuities cover your dining staff (including Windjammer crew), stateroom attendant, and stateroom helpers. If you wish to change auto gratuities, you have to visit Guest Services.