Bit of a Blog : Crown Princess : Buenos Aires - Valparaiso : February 1st 2017

NorbertsNiece

Thanks.

Due to the time exigencies this cruise I can't post everything (nor would I want to!!) but there are some that would merit tweaking if I had the time..... I've more of Buenos Aires city for example

Yes please, even at end of your review. If you happen to have shots of certain Evita Peron landmarks, will appreciate it much!

Be well for your Stanley tour and the penguins.

Landed Port Stanley. Was raining but now sun is out. Tender took 20 minutes. Tour has 17 4x4 taking 4 pax each. They drive on the correct side of the road here yayyyy!!! Waiting on pier for last 2 expected. Everyone else has gone. Am a happy bunny today.

Will one of my FB friends please share the pic I posted there <3 x

Landed Port Stanley. Was raining but now sun is out. Tender took 20 minutes. Tour has 17 4x4 taking 4 pax each. They drive on the correct side of the road here yayyyy!!! Waiting on pier for last 2 expected. Everyone else has gone. Am a happy bunny today.

Are you going to Volunteer Point?

https://scontent.ford1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/16487499_10158322086265352_2038078124488441305_o.jpg?oh=161135809122bbd7a545c3034133eeb6&oe=59011189&dl=1

you had 2 , hope this was the one you wanted ;)

xx

h7o65G.png

Thanks Jann...... the other does say not for CC :p ;) xoxox

Yes Nancy, Volunteer Point.

What an amazing day. Cross country in a 4x4 for over 2 hours each way..... off road for most of it.... if that wasn't exciting enough saw King penguins and their hatchlings!!!

Thanks Jann...... the other does say not for CC :p ;) xoxox

Yes Nancy, Volunteer Point.

What an amazing day. Cross country in a 4x4 for over 2 hours each way..... off road for most of it.... if that wasn't exciting enough saw King penguins and their hatchlings!!!

Since you had only one photo of the Falklands on Facebook first thing this morning, that's the one I posted. :D

DSCN1989.jpg

DSCN1990.jpg

I usually carry a shoe door hanger gizmo thingy but trying to keep the weight down this trip I left it behind.

DD3 gave me this as a gift over Christmas

DSCN1991.jpg

I have had to walk past terrible 'art'.....you can see some too ok?

DSCN1992.jpg

DSCN1993.jpg

It says shuttle bus but it really means tender

DSCN1994.jpg

DSCN1997.jpg

DSCN1998.jpg

This is a local tender

DSCN1999.jpg

DSCN2000.jpg

DSCN2001.jpg

The MSC Musica was to have been in port yesterday. Due to bad weather they couldn't tender here so went to Buenos Aires instead. They are here first and are berthed nearer the pier. They are also using local tenders. hence the ensuing chaos.

DSCN2002.jpg

One of our group has missed the tender so we wait for her to catch us up

DSCN2010.jpg

Free bicycles to borrow

DSCN2011.jpg

I always try and get a pic of where to go to retrace steps in a foreign land..... this seemed appropriate

DSCN2012.jpg

The properties here are all very different to on another

DSCN2013.jpg

DSCN2016.jpg

DSCN2020.jpg

DSCN2027.jpg

DSCN2028.jpg

DSCN2029.jpg

Ajax point...... Where the Graf Spee was sunk

DSCN2029.jpg

DSCN2042.jpg

This woman..... I won't post her pic but I have it.....

So a photographer is taking a close up of an insect making it's leisurely way along the sidewalk...... the photographer gets up and walks away..... this woman..... steps on it......deliberately.... I am aghast. She has a grin on her face.

Mermaids

DSCN2045.jpg

DSCN2056.jpg

I kid you not

DSCN2059.jpg

We pass some truly spectacular and very expensive properties on our way to this bridge..... not designed by an architect or bridge engineer......going over it is like a fairground ride.....

DSCN2069.jpg.

We also pass some less attractive places on our way to the Ralli Museum......which is located in a neighbourhood called Beverley Hills..... you can imagine..... am about to be kicked off the net due to weather and satellite etc.....

DSCN2079.jpg

This woman..... I won't post her pic but I have it.....

So a photographer is taking a close up of an insect making it's leisurely way along the sidewalk...... the photographer gets up and walks away..... this woman..... steps on it......deliberately.... I am aghast. She has a grin on her face.

gggggrrrrrrrrrrrr

This woman..... I won't post her pic but I have it... So a photographer is taking a close up of an insect making it's leisurely way along the sidewalk... the photographer gets up and walks away... this woman... steps on it....deliberately... I am aghast. She has a grin on her face.

So I'm guessing her name isn't "Jain"

Day 15 Cape Horn scenic cruising

Today I have eaten, played trivia, eaten, played more trivia, eaten, sailed around Cape Horn and eaten.

Capture2.jpg

Am taking two Princess tours tomorrow, using up some OBC.

Beagle Channel Wildlife Cruise

Welcome to one of the most spectacular and interesting parts of the world! This storied waterway was named after the HMS Beagle, the ship that carried the English naturalist, Charles Darwin, on a five-year voyage around the tip of Southern America.

Darwin´s voyage established him as an eminent geologist and his journal of the voyage made him a famous and popular author. It was his 1859 book, On the Origin of Species, however, that rocked the world with his theory of evolution and natural selection. Sail in Darwin´s wake as you sightsee aboard a specially designed catamaran. The views from the spacious indoor cabin are excellent and you can soak up the scenery and the fresh sea air from your vantage point on the outer decks.

You´ll be immersed in the beauty of an ever-changing mountain and island panorama. Watch for Mount Olivia and Mount Escarpado, to name just a few of the surrounding peaks. And cruise in close to one pristine wildlife habitat after another.

Sea Lions Island is the perfect place to photograph the South American sea lion. Found along the coast and offshore islands of Chile and Argentina, it generally breeds in the southern part of its range including here in the Beagle Channel. With its large head, well-developed mane, and orange color, the male of the species is truly "lionesque." The female is much smaller and pups are born black.

You´ll also get to cruise in close to a bustling rookery of Imperial Cormorant. This large black and white bird is an impressive sight as it wheels high in the sky, fishes for its supper and then lands on rocky islands to dry its wings in the sun.

Be sure to also have your camera ready when your tour brings you to the Beagle Channel´s famed "Les Éclaireurs" lighthouse. Inaugurated in December 23, 1920, it is still in operation today and is probably the most photographed lighthouse in South America. Set amidst a cluster of islands, this picturesque red-and-white sentinel emits a flash of light every 10 seconds that can be seen from 7 nautical miles out at sea. Automated, remotely controlled and uninhabited, it is known to the Argentines as the Lighthouse at the End of the World.

You´ll return home with memories of a wild, untamed land filled with picture-postcard scenery and amazing wildlife on this easy, half-day excursion.

Southernmost Railway & Ensenada Bay

Prepare yourself for a scenic splendor at the end of the world on this easy half-day excursion. Step aboard the vintage railcars of the "southernmost railway" for an incomparable, journey winding through beautiful scenes in Tierra del Fuego National Park.

Built to bring lumber from the forests to Ushuaia to once build and heat Ushuaia and its penal colony, the Southern Fuegian Railway or the End of the World Train now serves as a heritage railway experience popular with residents and visitors alike.

Your adventure begins with a short ride by bus from the pier to the railway station. Here you'll board the train and set off for Tierra del Fuego National Park. Onboard the simple cars, you´ll cross the Pipo River and its sylvan valley and then enter the Park on your approximately 45-minute ride. Soak up the wondrous interplay of waterfalls, forests, mountains and rivers as your train chugs along the historic track. You'll also enjoy a stop for photographs, before getting into the National Park.

Keep an eye out for some of the different species of terrestrial mammals including foxes, beavers, rabbits and muskrats; some of which have been introduced into the region to the detriment of the native habitat. And scan the "lenga," "coihue" and "nire" trees for cara-caras, austral parakeets, condors and many other species of birds unique to the southern hemisphere.

Upon completion of your train ride, a short drive will bring you to Ensenada Bay. Here you will enjoy stupendous views of the Beagle Channel. Named after the ship that carried English naturalist, Charles Darwin, the channel boasts towering snow-capped mountains.

You'll also be able to gaze out upon a collection of lovely island gems. Navarino, set between the Grand Island of Tierra del Fuego to the north and Cape Horn to the south and Hoste Island, just across the Murray Channel, constitute the nearest land to the Antarctic continent. In his book Magellania, Jules Verne described an imaginary republic on Hoste Island.

During your return to the ship in Ushuaia by motorcoach, you'll learn many interesting facts about this extraordinary part of the world. With the chance to shop for souvenirs at the train station, you are sure to return home with a suitcase full of memories.

--------

Thanks for continuing to follow along..... really appreciated..... we had mostly brilliant weather today, 1:10 chance apparently. It rained for about 10 seconds. Was very, very windy out on deck. They closed down the front of the ship due to the high wind. Got pics from different places..

I also read some of a book today!!

We've just had an announcement to say that the port authorities at Ushuaia have decided to not allow us to dock tomorrow but to tender instead..... weather permitting..... Not sure how that will work with my two excursions..... and no lunch..... hopefully can pick something up at the pier.....

This just happened

DSCN2920.jpg

I also read some of a book today!!

We've just had an announcement to say that the port authorities at Ushuaia have decided to not allow us to dock tomorrow but to tender instead..... weather permitting..... Not sure how that will work with my two excursions..... and no lunch..... hopefully can pick something up at the pier.....

This just happened

DSCN2920.jpg

Good luck! We left Ushuaia several hours late last March because the wind was so strong that it pushed us into the dock. That affected our arrival time the next day in Punta Arenas, and a number of longer excursions (Antarctica and Torres del Paine) were cancelled. I hope that doesn't happen to your ship.

Good luck! We left Ushuaia several hours late last March because the wind was so strong that it pushed us into the dock. That affected our arrival time the next day in Punta Arenas, and a number of longer excursions (Antarctica and Torres del Paine) were cancelled. I hope that doesn't happen to your ship.

Thanks Nancy, tickets say to meet for 1st excursion at 0730 so guess will stick to that and see what happens. x