Bit of a Blog : Crown Princess : Buenos Aires - Valparaiso : February 1st 2017

NorbertsNiece

22 minutes ago, NorbertsNiece said:

@newport dave

Hi. Gosh this thread still getting read!

I've had a look through my notes but can't find any reference to currency exchanging. I tend to take US dollars in cash and a US dollar currency card with me when travelling.

M&S appear to have Argentine Pesos available.

Linda

Linda

Thanks for the quick reply, I remember you doing the blog so did a search for it. Especially as your from the UK and did the same tour. 

David. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newport dave said:

Hi

We're doing the same tour/cruise next Feb. Was just wandering what you did for local currency, especially for Argentina. At the moment it's not possible to purchase Argentina Pesos in the UK.  Where you able to get some in the UK and if so, roughly how much did you take. 

Thanks

David. 

We are from the U.S., thus we have US$ accounts. We did the cruise in reverse. There are 3 stops in Argentina. We took private tours with buenostours.com. which were pre-paid. There are blue money exchanges in Argentina where we exchanged some US$ for Pesos. We did not require much, just some for the local taxis and some coffee and such. We were in B.A. for 3 days. I would question if you can actually exchange GBP for Pesos. Could be difficult. In Puerto Madryn we just walked around town, didn't use any cash. In Ushuaia we had booked a private tour which was pre-paid, no local Pesos required. Ditto for Montevideo, Uruguay. In Chile where we spent some extra time we got local currency at an ATM. Of course the Falkands use GBP. Expect really high prices there.

• Like 1

I have no idea how I missed this first time around, but I've just spent the better part of an hour reading from the start.  What a wonderful job you do taking us along for the ride, and I really loved your photos.  Thanks for taking the time to write, and thanks for sharing it.

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2019 at 3:05 PM, newport dave said:

snip<. Was just wandering what you did for local currency, especially for Argentina. At the moment it's not possible to purchase Argentina Pesos in the UK. ...>

We're going to Argentina in December and have been checking currency situation (last time we were ther there was a sort of black market available ...but not now) the information we've been given is...you can get Pesos but most UK places don't have them in stock and so you need to order in advance. This is the other info notes I have  made (sorry bit long)....

exchange rate BA who reported the exchange rate is currently 35 pesos to the US dollar. Another commented - But the problem with getting cash is the limit of 4-5000 pesos and the fees at this end 215-360 pesos depending on the bank. You can make multiple withdrawals but the fees are so high you lose 10% when you factor in the bank charges! 

There are more comments on the thread "Effect of the Argentinian Economic Crisis on Cruises?" 

Personally I would bring US dollars and a couple of credit and debit cards and either go to a Cambio to change a small amount to Argentine pesos or try an ATM. Most places will take USD but give pesos as change. You should have no problems with credit cards in other countries down here. We use our credit cards all the time

have been told by a family member who lives in Buenos Airies for almost 5 years now – that he has never exchanged money in a bank – always in Casa De Cambios  for the best rate.. Especially if they are large bills.  (Bring only new untorn/unfolded bills)

Right now it is around 40  - So  $100.00 USD would equal 4,000 AR Pesos ....check current rates who knows what will happen after Brexit......

Here is a Trip advisor post from this year basically saying the same…... 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312741-i979-k11258410-Casas_de_cambio-Buenos_Aires_Capital_Federal_District.html

would 2nd just having USD  we used it everywhere.  We were cautioned that if we were to get Peso's we would have problems changing it back.  We never ran into anyone who wouldn't take dollars.  

We were on Cunard and there were many nationalities aboard, mostly British, many Canadians and I didn't hear of anyone having problems with non-US cards (don't know about Amex though).

We used an ATM at the airport. Also exchanged some money at the hotel.  Restaurants would prefer to take cash and will take USD with a not bad exchange rate.  USD bills can be folded but otherwise must be in clean and unmarked condition. In the tourist areas you'll see men saying "cambio, cambio" they are trying to get you to change money with them. Don't! Find a legit currency exchange (you'll need your passport) or ATM.  If you have time take the tour at the Teatro Colon.  They offer them in English at specific times of the day.  Tickets can be purchased with a credit card.  Hop-on-Hop-Off bus only takes cash at their main office.  Also on Saturday or Sunday the Casa Rosada is open to the public (free entry). Tours were in Spanish but we were able to walk around and enjoy the beauty of the building

Hope you find this useful

Edited by t60
  • Like 1