Need suggestions for hotel and transportation for cruising out of N.J.

We are cruising out of New Jersey for the first time in August and was hoping we could get some advise on hotels near the cruise pier and transportation ideas. If we are flying into Newark Liberty International Airport and staying at a hotel near the airport, is there shuttle services to the pier or will we have to Uber or take a taxi? I guess we could go back to the airport in the morning and take transportation thru Royal Caribbean too as an option. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Check out Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth. If you are flying in, they will pick you up at the airport and transport you to the cruise port.

Unless it's changed, the shuttle to/from the airport was free, but the transportation to the port was extra and required a special room package.

We are cruising in April out of NJ as well and could not find a package deal from a hotel that had an airport shuttle and a shuttle to the cruise port. We are thinking about using Uber as suggested when I called several area hotels.

Hoping I'm not duplicating what has already been posted ...

The Jersey City waterfront has several great hotel & restaurant options for the night before a cruise. There's the Westin Hotel and Courtyard by Marriott on Washington Blvd, as well as the Hyatt Hotel near Exchange Place. There's a great view of the Manhattan skyline from each of the hotels, easy access into New York via the NY Waterway Ferry system as well as the PATH trains. For restaurants, there's Komegashi (Japanese), Confucious (Chinese), Bertucci (Italian) and a bunch of other great restaurants in the same area.

The next day, each hotel can arrange taxi service for you to Bayonne, which is only a ten minute ride away, and easily accessible to the cruiseport.

Highly recommend Jersey City pre cruise.

Michael

We are cruising in April out of NJ as well and could not find a package deal from a hotel that had an airport shuttle and a shuttle to the cruise port. We are thinking about using Uber as suggested when I called several area hotels.

Trinityreservations.com offers a sleep cruise for $173 tax included for April 1 for up to 4 people as well as other dates. Shipmate13 - check your August dates.

A second option is to book Country Inns Elizabeth and buy round trip port transportation for $35/pp rt directly from the hotel. This is more expensive, but does include free breakfast.

A third option is to book Embassy Suites Elizabeth and buy round trip port transportation for $40/pp rt directly from the hotel. This even more expensive but does include free breakfast.

I just booked a cruise, park and stay at the Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island. They offer shuttle service from EWR airport as well as roundtrip shuttle to the port. We picked this one because they have a complimentary shuttle to the Staten Island ferry so we can go to the Statue of Liberty the day before our cruise.

I just booked a cruise, park and stay at the Hilton Garden Inn on Staten Island. They offer shuttle service from EWR airport as well as roundtrip shuttle to the port. We picked this one because they have a complimentary shuttle to the Staten Island ferry so we can go to the Statue of Liberty the day before our cruise.

FYI the Staten Island Ferry does not stop at the Statue of Liberty ... rather it takes you from Staten Island to lower Manhattan, where you walk to Batter Park City and transfer to the ferryboat to the Statue.

That said, the SI Ferry is a great deal -- $0 cost -- and a very popular tourist attraction.

Michael

You could have some issues with this plan which you should consider. Could you provide more details?

Are you staying one night or two nights? What are you paying for the room and port transportation? What time does your flight arrive and what time does it leave?

The major logistical problem is that the Bayonne Bridge between Staten Island and Bayonne is under construction and subject to regular closures, particularly Mon-Fri from 9 am-3 pm as well as occasional weekends. Take a look at a map of the area. This means that for your Thur sail date, the hotel shuttle will have to go west on I278 to cross the Goethals Bridge to NJ, then go north on the Turnpike past EWR to get to I78 east to go to exit 14A to get to the port.

If the Bayonne Bridge is closed on Sat when you return, the shuttle would have to repeat this route in reverse. It would make sense if they dropped folks at EWR, but you'd have to ask the hotel what they actually do. It's possible you would have to go back to the hotel on Staten Island and then take a shuttle back to EWR, which makes absolutely no sense to me.

A "free" shuttle to the Staten Island ferry plus a free ferry ride sounds good, but the reality is that it will take you an hour plus to do this. The hotel shuttle may not be at your beck and call for this return trip. Folks have posted about taking a cab back to the HG rather than wait for the shuttle.

Think this over carefully and post back with the answers to my questions. If your primary objective is to go to the SOL, I can probably offer other options in the EWR area that are both time and cost effective.

I just called Country Inn and Suites and was told they do have a Park, Cruise and Stay package for 2 adults with Carlton Reward card is $249 plus taxes.

We are flying in so hoping to still find a cheaper hotel. We are just looking for shuttle from the airport and will probably Uber or Taxi it to the port. Any suggestions?

Edited by time11130

Any suggestions on other hotel options? Looking for something clean, safe and close to restaurants. Need shuttle from airport.

Courtyard and Residence Inn in Elizabeth. Same complex as Country Inn & Suites.

Any suggestions on other hotel options? Looking for something clean, safe and close to restaurants. Need shuttle from airport.

All the "airport" hotels have shuttles. If it doesn't offer a shuttle, the hotel is really not at the airport.

Many airport hotels offer a free breakfast but do not offer other food service. With the exception of the hotels on International Blvd, there are not "close" restaurants to any of the hotels, so if the hotel doesn't have a restaurant, you're ordering take out delivery. The Int'l Blvd hotels can walk to Ruby Tuesday's, IHOP, Applebees, Johnny Rockets, and the Jersey Garden Mall food court.

Car Service transportation to and from the port runs $55-65 each way.

So what's your total budget for a hotel and round trip port transportation? That's going to determine what your hotel options are.

Thanks for everyone's help. We really don't have a set "budget" I suppose, just trying to save money so I can buy more goodies while on our cruise. We don't expect anything fancy in a hotel but since we are expected to land about 1:00 in the afternoon we would like to be close to something to do or at least close to a place to get some dinner. We originally thought about visiting New York in the afternoon but after reading up on things we have decided that probably isn't a good plan as it doesn't look so easy to get to. I had called a few hotels and was told Uber usually runs less than $25 no matter how many people but I haven't actually heard from any cruisers that used that service. We used Uber in Vegas and it was so easy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Look at the Newport area in New Jersey to stay. Courtyard by Marriott is right across from the Newport Shopping Centre (Cheesecake Factory is there!) and next door to a Path subway station. The PATH will take you straight into Manhattan for $2.75. The views from the waterfront across to Manhattan are stunning.

http://Www.panynj.gov

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Look at the Newport area in New Jersey to stay. Courtyard by Marriott is right across from the Newport Shopping Centre (Cheesecake Factory is there!) and next door to a Path subway station. The PATH will take you straight into Manhattan for $2.75. The views from the waterfront across to Manhattan are stunning.

http://Www.panynj.gov

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For a better overall precruise experience, I would also recommend Jersey City if you want to spend the extra money. The OP is arriving at 1 pm - lots of time to kill before setting off to Cape Liberty the next day. Candlewood Suites has the best rates followed by the Courtyard for April 1. You would spend extra money to get to Jersey City, but once there you would have shopping, better dining, services, and super easy access to the World Trade Center area in downtown Manhattan. If you can roll your luggage, accessible public transit on the Hudson-Bergen light rail to Bayonne 34th St for $2.25/pp and Uber into the port ($10 ??) is also an option. Details can be provided.

If you decide to stay at the airport, I would contact Country

Inns again. You should be able to book a room with them and add on the round trip port transportation for $35/pp. aa.com is offering a cancellable rate of about $126 plus tax.

There is a Ramada that has a free shuttle to the port. They also offer a shuttle that would take you to NYC for the day. When we used the shuttle in 2015 the cost was $25.00 per person. We booked through Trinity Reservations and got the cruise and park package.

There is a Ramada that has a free shuttle to the port. They also offer a shuttle that would take you to NYC for the day. When we used the shuttle in 2015 the cost was $25.00 per person. We booked through Trinity Reservations and got the cruise and park package.

This is also a great option. I will be using the park/cruise package in 10 days!

However for someone without a car, the options are limited. Hotel food service only either at the Ramada or next door at the Sheraton. No other shopping or services.