Best (& worst) tables in Britannia QM2

Devon Bloke

We've requested a table for 2 (and a table for 6 if we don't get our request) at late sitting in the Britannia on the QM2 for our east bound TA in May.

Last time on the QM2 we had some marvellous fellow diners in our party of 8, but the actual table location and serving staff were terrible - upper level, in a dark corner. We managed to get the maitre d to change us to a better position by the second night. All was fine.

I know that we will find our table allocation for the voyage on in our state room embarkation.

I'd be interested to hear from others about what they have found to be a good table position (whether 2 or 6 pax) in the Britannia.

When travelling in the Britannia Main Dining Room I've always managed to be seated on the lower level in the 'centre', ( it's often referred to as the well)

That's the area of tables where the captains table is, close to the wall hanging tapestry.

This is without doubt the best area, as the hight of the vaulted ceiling enables one to have an audible conversation with your table guest/companion without the surrounding noise or clatter of plates from the service areas.

Edited by Bell Boy

The lower level is the best as many of the upper level tables seem hemmed in and have no view. We were at a fabulous table of 8 all the way against the window and a wall. Made for great conversation without necessarily sharing with the rest of the floor. It seems that there are more twos up stairs than down so you may end up there and if you prefer to be at a two that is hidden away up stairs is the best.

Absolute worst is upper level by the back exits. You feel like you are in Siberia, can't see anything except people heading for the toilets. They keep these for folks who demand a two or four top by themselves.

In the past, we've been on the first level beneath the upper tiers (not in the well) and it was nice. Last year, we were initially disappointed to find ourselves against the railing on the lowest tier of the upper levels, closest to the rear entrance. We wound up liking it a lot. It was convenient to enter on deck 3, convenient for our waiters, near the escalator, and especially since it was second seating, there were some empty seats around us, so we got great service and never had to worry about catching a show.

On a previous crossing, one evening we joined a friend at his table on the very top tier, next to a window and found it a little claustrophobic and warm.

Edited by MarkBearSF

We've requested a table for 2 (and a table for 6 if we don't get our request) at late sitting in the Britannia on the QM2 for our east bound TA in May.

Last time on the QM2 we had some marvellous fellow diners in our party of 8, but the actual table location and serving staff were terrible - upper level, in a dark corner. We managed to get the maitre d to change us to a better position by the second night. All was fine.

I know that we will find our table allocation for the voyage on in our state room embarkation.

I'd be interested to hear from others about what they have found to be a good table position (whether 2 or 6 pax) in the Britannia.

Here is a diagram of the table positions which are normally in the Britannia Restaurant on QM2. I am sorry they may not be of use , unable to upload larger pictures to this forum.

1808362253_QM2TablePlan.jpg.04c977b3b51c1cc4353372b4a85006b4.jpg

2090363559_ScreenShot2017-01-30at18_36_07.jpg.acdd57f7410676ca51ee0860232b556a.jpg

Edited by Pennbank

• 1 year later...
On 1/28/2017 at 8:27 AM, Bell Boy said:

When travelling in the Britannia Main Dining Room I've always managed to be seated on the lower level in the 'centre', ( it's often referred to as the well)

That's the area of tables where the captains table is, close to the wall hanging tapestry.

This is without doubt the best area, as the hight of the vaulted ceiling enables one to have an audible conversation with your table guest/companion without the surrounding noise or clatter of plates from the service areas.

Thank you, That's very important, I like conversation sometimes more than the meal, cheers!

Two of the three meals a day, breakfast & lunch, I will enjoy on the lower level, so it is great to have contrast by dining "upstairs" in the evening. Makes for a nice change, less routine.

I much prefer the upper levels of the Britannia Restaurant for dinner, less of the noisy "canteen" atmosphere of the huge, very wide lower deck.

There are intimate corners, privacy, a feeling of it being a smaller restaurant than it really is.

Views of the lower level from tables near the well, views of the sea from tables near the windows.

Upper level for dinner every time for me.

• Thanks 2

Hello

Passengers may not realize it but the Britannia actually has four levels.   The lower level where  the captain sits, the second level overlooking the main level, the third level where there are no windows and no views, and the fourth level with numerous windows overlooking the ocean.  I prefer to be on the main level tucked away in a corner at a round table for 8 next to a window. In this location you avoid the hub bub and the waiters whizzing around you.  And it is quieter.  An example of that is table 56 and there are others.  Just look around.

I also like table 222 on the 4th level.  Its round table for 8 next to a window but not too close to the exits.  There are others on this level that are similar.  Look around.

One thing that observant passengers may have noticed is the addition of many more  crowded oblong tables which I avoid like  the plague as it difficult to carry on conversations with your fellow tablemates.

Never hesitate to change tables if you don't care for some or all of your tablemates.

I recommend taking a tour around the  entire dining room and make a note of the table numbers of tables you like and then petition the MDs to seat you at one of those.  He may not be able to do it the first night but with many passengers changing tables and sitting times he can usually  help you for the second night and beyond. The Brits may not like this but I make sure to tip my helpful MDs .   It also helps to be a regular passenger on the ship and to develop relationships with the MDs.

Also, when I am on a voyage with one booked for the future it is pretty easy to book the table you want for the next voyage.   Just ask your MD.

I am booked on the January 3 voyage from New  York to Singapore so perhaps we can meet up on this 40 day voyage if you are on as well!  Look for me.  I look like a   100% cotton table cloth!!!

Have fun!

Deck Chair

europe trip QM2 2013 146.jpg

I found you   (September) with no problem , and I have to say yes, what a nice comfortable table you have there.  

Thanks for those wise words above, you are correct . it  certainly does help to develop a relationship  with the duty MD's  (as well as with all other members of the  onboard guest facing crew)      

We had a table for 2  on what might be described as the 3rd level last summer. It was on the inside, with another table for 2 to our left (and too close for my preference). However, I did like the 2 tops along the rail, where you could look down into the lower levels of the restaurant.  Although the waiters were walking past, you didn't have anyone else sitting really close to you. I don't think the tables for 2 on QM2 are as well placed as on QE, where there are a number by the windows.