Iphone

QuickieGlenn

I'm so glad to read this post! This will make it so much easier to keep track of 5 teenagers :cool: We have not cruised for 3 years, and they did not have this then. This will save so much time.

Just remember you will need to pay the one time fee for EACH phone registered. And recommend the app be placed on all the phones before you board the ship.

No you can leave wifi on you might even be able to find some free wifi

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So it won't use data as long as airplane mode is on? Free wifi can be connected still? Like I said, I might sound like and idiot but I really have no clue and don't want to be shocked by my phone bill.

Im not familar with iConcerciage. But you dont need to be in Airplane mode to avoid data charges.

Go into Settings and turn off your Cellular Data Connection. This means your cell phone will still make and accept phone calls and text messages but will not access the Internet over the Cell Tower (which is what causes the massive phone bills).

You can still connect to WiFi on ship (if you buy a package) and in port and use the internet and iMessage.

The benefit to doing this rather then Airplane Mode (which essentially renders your cell phone a brick) is that should someone need to get a hold of you in an emergency they can call you or text you.

I did this when I cruised. My carrier charged .75 cents per outgoing text message (free for incoming) up to a maximum of $75. I chose a texting plan that cost $35 for unlimited. Thus, I could text everyone back home and they with me, like normal.

I only used Wifi while in port to access the Internet and iMessage. While on ship, I had my Cellular Data Connection turned off.

So it won't use data as long as airplane mode is on? Free wifi can be connected still? Like I said, I might sound like and idiot but I really have no clue and don't want to be shocked by my phone bill.

Not an idiot at all. It can be very confusing. When in doubt, put into Airplane Mode. But that renders the cell phone aspect of her phone a useless Brick. It will effectively do nothing but act as a paper weight unless you have access to WiFi.

Yes, you can be in Airplane Mode and have WiFi turned on. You must have a usable connection to Wifi (either byu purchasing a Wifi package on the ship or purchasing Wifi in port or finding a free wifi hot spot, like many restaraunts).

If you're in Airplane mode, you cannot send or receive phone calls or text messages.

Some people just use Airplane mode and decide they will turn it on for a few minutes to send texts. But if run the risk of your phone connecting to the internet and running up your bill, if your Cellular Data Connection is not turned off. Many apps connect to the internet without your knowledge (facebook for example).

Dont be afraid to go into your service provider and ask them to show you, if you're in doubt at all. They will show you how to turn off Cellular Data Connections. And can recommend a package if you want to be able to send text messages back home while on the trip.

As others have said here, it MAY be possible to send/receive iMessage texts while on Ship's wifi (+Airplane mode to turn off Cellular) and NOT on a paid Internet plan.

This is a "glitch" due to the type of internet messages iMessage use - you can think of them as "falling through the cracks" of the software that blocks Internet traffic if you're not on a paid Internet plan.

This is not 100% reliable, and someday they may "fix the glitch" entirely. On the BA in December, DW was able to iMessage text the entire cruise when I was only able to occasionally.

Note that this only works when communicating with other Apple users (the blue texts) and not when using SMS (the green texts).

As others have said here, it MAY be possible to send/receive iMessage texts while on Ship's wifi (+Airplane mode to turn off Cellular) and NOT on a paid Internet plan.

This is a "glitch" due to the type of internet messages iMessage use - you can think of them as "falling through the cracks" of the software that blocks Internet traffic if you're not on a paid Internet plan.

This is not 100% reliable, and someday they may "fix the glitch" entirely. On the BA in December, DW was able to iMessage text the entire cruise when I was only able to occasionally.

Note that this only works when communicating with other Apple users (the blue texts) and not when using SMS (the green texts).

Yes, we were also able to use google for basic searches. Just not browse the. Full internet.

Unlike what others have said, I don't consider airplane mode turning my phone into a 'brick'. Airplane mode turns off all communications initially, but it's still possible to turn back on wifi and Bluetooth. You just won't be able to turn cellular back on without turning airplane mode off. So with airplane mode you will have NO additional charges unless you approve wifi charges. (You can turn wifi on without getting charged, NCL makes you go through several steps before they start charging you and the cost is clear).

If you turn airplane mode off, unless you work out an international plan ahead of time; you could be subject to additional charges when you

1. Make an outgoing call

2. Accept an incoming call

3. Send a text message

4. Receive a text message

Number 4 and my lack of interest in numbers 1-3 is why leave airplane mode on the whole trip. There's no one I feel the need to call or text with and I don't want to get charged when people send me what are often silly/unnecessary texts. If someone has a true emergency and needs me they can get a message to me on the ship.

Even with airplane mode on you can still 1. Use wifi, 2. Listen to music, 3. Use your camera, 4. Use phone as clock/alarm clock, 5. Watch/record videos, 6. Play games. Etc.... far from a 'brick'

As far as this whole 'glitch' issue, it may be mostly fixed on the jade. Attached to the ships wifi for the iconcierge app, I could not send or receive iMessages (although one or two incoming slipped through, I couldn't respond and many didn't come through), browse the internet, or use any apps (although a couple 'notifications' came through).

Edited by sanger727

I also found the brick comment ridiculous.

An iPhone is a very powerful computer that has a unbelievable amount of information on it. Compare it to what was used to get us to the moon.

1 iPhone 6 could theoretically guide 120 million Apollo rockets at the same time.

Not bad for a brick.

Sorry for offending those easily offended by my "brick" comment. Ofcourse you can use your iPhone in Airplane mode but not as a phone.

Its important people understand that Airplane mode does not JUST turn off your data connection. It turns off your cellular connection. Airplane mode = No Phone Calls, No Texting.

And you have to be sure to turn WiFi back on if you want to use it.

Many people want to keep their phone on as a phone in case of emergency.

Also, you dont get charged for incoming texts (since you cant control if someone sends you 100 texts)..at least no respectable carrier that I know of charges.

So to recap, if you only want Wifi (including iConceriage) and are somewhat smart phone illiterate, just place into Airplane mode.

But if you want to continue to be able to send/receive texts (such as back home) and be able to receive phone calls (perhaps in the event of an emergency back home), then just turn off Data Connections.

People need to remember that iMessage is not texting. Texting & Imessage are two very different things.

Exactly

iMessage uses data so cellular data must be on

Texting does not. So cellular data can be off but you can use the phone for calls and texts

You probably paid for international roaming, or it's included in your service package.

OP should check with their provider for details. It's really that simple.

we were also able to send/receive I messages and we did not pay for international roaming and it is not part of our plan

Exactly

iMessage uses data so cellular data must be on

Texting does not. So cellular data can be off but you can use the phone for calls and texts

Cellular data can be off and you can send and receive iMessages with a wifi connection.

So........will I be able to send an iMessage from my iPad on the ship back to my daughters iPhone in the States by connecting thru iConcierge . And there will be no charge? Sorry to need to ask what may be obvious, but it seems like all of the above discussion applied to iPhones. I will only be using my iPad on board the Epic next week.

And wifi on the ship is not free

We had wifi that could be used for iconcierge and imessaging and it WAS at no charge. There would have been a charge if we tried to use it for email, browsing internet or to send picture messages.

So........will I be able to send an iMessage from my iPad on the ship back to my daughters iPhone in the States by connecting thru iConcierge . And there will be no charge? Sorry to need to ask what may be obvious, but it seems like all of the above discussion applied to iPhones. I will only be using my iPad on board the Epic next week.

There is a very good chance that you may use your iPad and using the iMessage app you can communicate back to your daughter ..... the reason I say "very good" and not an "absolute yes" is because some people have reported that some NCL ships have sporadically closed this loop-hole in their wireless network (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't)

Without getting into the technical details, iMessage (just text not photos) is able to utilize the free iConcierge network. You only have to download the iConcierge app and attach to the ship's wifi. No need to purchase the text / call add on or the ships internet package.

There are a dozen threads discussing this here on Cruise Critic (and other forums) and the more people talk about it, the more NCL realizes this loophole and the $$$$$ slipping through their fingers.

Look what happened to the upsell option....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

Sorry for offending those easily offended by my "brick" comment. Ofcourse you can use your iPhone in Airplane mode but not as a phone.

Its important people understand that Airplane mode does not JUST turn off your data connection. It turns off your cellular connection. Airplane mode = No Phone Calls, No Texting.

And you have to be sure to turn WiFi back on if you want to use it.

Many people want to keep their phone on as a phone in case of emergency.

Also, you dont get charged for incoming texts (since you cant control if someone sends you 100 texts)..at least no respectable carrier that I know of charges.

So to recap, if you only want Wifi (including iConceriage) and are somewhat smart phone illiterate, just place into Airplane mode.

But if you want to continue to be able to send/receive texts (such as back home) and be able to receive phone calls (perhaps in the event of an emergency back home), then just turn off Data Connections.

A MASSIVE BIG THANK YOU for explaining so well what to do with my iphone whilst away . I have only recently switched over to iphone and your posts have helped me tremendously as i was very unsure of what needed to do before i board the ship , would hate to come back home to a HUGE phone bill !!! . Like someone else posted i am going to print off this info and take it with me . Thank you once again x