Alaska 2019

My DW thought it woukd be a nice retirement send-off in 2019 to see Alaska. I figure we can share a suite to take my 2 adult sons in the same suite with us. Maybe 5 if he gets engaged/married to his girfriend by then!

However, RCL does not show Alaska cruise choices beyind 2017 and Suite classes are already sold out in 2017 for budgeting estimates.

I figure to see more or Alaska and we would not sail out of SF. We don't need sea days, we want to experiencw Alaska. We could fly into Alaska and take a 9 day or more cruise. It is a bucket list cruise for sure!

A few questions:

How far in advance do bookings for Alaska 2019 open up?

Any recomnendations on iternaries? Sail and see a lot or visit a lot of ports?

Any other things to consider?

Best length of cruise to take?

Next bucket list will be Hawa'i but I think for that it is a fly in from the east coast and puddle jumper flights to the islands around the big island. We must see Pearl Harbor for sure but other than that, look around for options on other islands. Anyone cruise Hawa'i from the west coast or from the big island have insights vs. flying in?

Thanks!

Edited by FireStation46

Summer 2019 cruises will most likely open in Spring 2018.

Thanks, I couldvbook that on my 4/17 cruise to get the discounts.

Any otherbinsights as per my inquiry above?

I figure to Stay with RCL or the other line they own, Celebrity.

Edited by FireStation46

I don't know about RCL but I booked my 2018 Celebrity Alaska cruise the end of last November the day the itineraries came out. The only line that does Hawaii only cruises is Norwegian. Any other line would need to hit a foreign port and have a lot of sea days.

I don't know about RCL but I booked my 2018 Celebrity Alaska cruise the end of last November the day the itineraries came out. The only line that does Hawaii only cruises is Norwegian. Any other line would need to hit a foreign port and have a lot of sea days.

Thanks, cruising Hawa'i is out. We wil puddle jump airlines after getting the the bug usland.

Celebrity will work as our RCL status will carry over i believe

My DW thought it woukd be a nice retirement send-off in 2019 to see Alaska. I figure we can share a suite to take my 2 adult sons in the same suite with us. Maybe 5 if he gets engaged/married to his girfriend by then!

However, RCL does not show Alaska cruise choices beyind 2017 and Suite classes are already sold out in 2017 for budgeting estimates.

I figure to see more or Alaska and we would not sail out of SF. We don't need sea days, we want to experiencw Alaska. We could fly into Alaska and take a 9 day or more cruise. It is a bucket list cruise for sure!

A few questions:

How far in advance do bookings for Alaska 2019 open up?

Any recomnendations on iternaries? Sail and see a lot or visit a lot of ports?

Any other things to consider?

Best length of cruise to take?

Next bucket list will be Hawa'i but I think for that it is a fly in from the east coast and puddle jumper flights to the islands around the big island. We must see Pearl Harbor for sure but other than that, look around for options on other islands. Anyone cruise Hawa'i from the west coast or from the big island have insights vs. flying in?

Thanks!

As much as I love RCL I think for the type of experience you are looking for Alaska, Princess might be a better option.

I agree with your thoughts about Hawaii last year we spent two weeks touring Oahu, Kauai and Maui (jumping flight on Hawaiian air) and it was one of the best trips we've ever done. Just amazing! I don't think you can do Hawaii justice on a cruise. Not enough time to experience the culture and the richness of the islands.

Thanks all. We have spent too much over the years to try something other Royal or Celebrity

The preferred status is important to us. Took us long enough to get there. Hate to start over with some other line.

We will book on our 2018 cruise for the 2019 Alaska cruise

Edited by FireStation46

Thanks all. We have spent too much over the years to try something other Royal or Celebrity

The preferred status is important to us. Took us long enough to get there. Hate to start over with some other line.

Agree with you completely after 20+ cruises with RCI...I'll stay with them.

RCI will probably release 2019 Alaska bookings in early March 2018.

Best of luck and enjoy.

Royal Caribbean or Celebrity are both fine for Alaska, I recommend one way South to North. Then, so you can really see Alaska spend whatever time you can DIY on Alaska Railroad.

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/

When the Alaska season ends in Fall you can take a ship from Seattle or Vancouver to Hawaii. They usually do 2 or 3 ports and the rest you can do by air.

Same option at the beginning of the Alaska season, Hawaii to Seattle or Vancouver.

I do remember the 343.

Jeannie

Edited by SPacificbound

Royal Caribbean or Celebrity are both fine for Alaska, I recommend one way South to North. Then, so you can really see Alaska spend whatever time you can DIY on Alaska Railroad.

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/

When the Alaska season ends in Fall you can take a ship from Seattle or Vancouver to Hawaii. They usually do 2 or 3 ports and the rest you can do by air.

Same option at the beginning of the Alaska season, Hawaii to Seattle or Vancouver.

I do remember the 343.

Jeannie

I would have to disagree a bit.....The OP should consider the northbound cruise's....always better to sail towards Alaska rather than away from it...JMHO

For us I opted for north to Alaska out of Vancouver and then 4 days inland (RCI cruisetour). The reason I chose to cruise first and then do the land portion is that I'm all about the cruise and I didn't want to be rushing mentally through the land tour to get to the cruise part of the vacation. It was a good call. We learned so much about the glaciers at the Juneau stop (Mendenhall nature center) that made them so much more meaningful later. Even the Denali nature center would have been no help there because their education theme is focused on the topography and the wildlife, not the forces that create a glacier. And to do the landtour portion justice, you need 4-7 days.

As for Hawaii, I've been there twice. Once was flying into Oahu and then island hopping to Maui and Hawaii. Three islands in 11 days. The second time I flew into Oahu and stayed 3 days (Waikiki and Pearl Harbor), then did the 7-day cruise on POA to see 4 islands, followed by 3 more days on Oahu (car rental and exploring the island) before flying home. The second trip was a better experience. I literally did everything I had done the first trip and much more, including Kauai (Waimea Canyon and Na Pali Coast ... wow!). Island hopping by plane involves a half day loss to change islands by air and get settled into a new hotel. Island hopping by ship takes place overnight while you're having dinner, seeing a show and sleeping.

And yeah, it's the only non-RCI cruise I've taken, so I didn't add 7 more points to my Crown and Anchor total. Somehow that wasn't worth minimalizing the experience.

Funny you say that because that's the primary reason we stay with RCL, the loyalty rewards as Diamond members and the fun options for our son. Although Princess has a big presence in Alaska, we chose one of the RCL itineraries out of Seattle out of airfare convenience.

We did Vancouver up to Seward this summer- so I'll tell you what we liked and what we wish maybe we had done a bit differently.

Flew into Vancouver Wed for a Friday departure as none in the group had been there. We had 7 adults and 6 kids 13-17. EVERYONE LOVED VANCOUVER. The Hop-on-hop-off bus is a perfect way to explore.

Loved the cruise and was happy with destinations and so forth. We did have excursions booked in pretty much every port rather than just figuring it out. Went horseback riding in Skagway and ended up in this huge meadow surrounded by the biggest mountains we'd ever seen with a glacial river flowing through. Picture perfect.

Took the train into Anchorage and spent a few days there. At the end, all agreed that when all is said and done- you really don't see that much of Alaska. And maybe time would have been better spent on some other rail trips going further inland, or further north. That is not to say we were disappointed. More like we just hadn't quite got our fill.

How is "South to North", which is what I said, different than "Northbound"?

Sorry .... however just the way you said it....Usually it's less confusing to refer to them as a Northbound or a Southbound cruise ;)....It confused me and it might the OP too (maybe not)...so don't take my clarification on words/terms so personally.:)