A full day in Seward: what to do

ohthisisthelifeforme

We will be in Seward for a full day after cruising with HA and before the land tour of Denali. Our cruise tours Glacier Bay and offers an excursion from Juneau to Tracy Arm Fjord. What should we do in Seward? I was thinking of taking the Kenai Fjord Boat tour, but will this just be "more of the same" after what we see on the cruise? This will probably be our one and only tour of Alaska, so we want to make the most of our day. We are active 65 year olds. Would you recommend Kenai, or are there other things we would not want to miss in Seward? Thanks for the help!

Definitely Kenai Fjord Boat. This is one boat trip I could repeat several times - it is that great. And every boat trip I have been on has been different, even when I repeat a boat trip. I would definitely do this.

Exit glacier is worth going to and so is SeaLife Center.

If you are into dog mushing - here: http://www.ididaride.com

Seward is one of those cities one could spend multiple days -it is that cool!

Edited by Coral

it's "more of the same" in the sense that you're viewing rocky forested coastline, but instead of a view from 12 stories up and a mile away, it's all up close and personal. As you leave Resurrection Bay you might see mountain goats on the hills, bald eagles nests, and otters, and as you travel further sealions, probably whales, puffins and many other birds and sealife. For me the highlight is sitting quietly in front of the glacier and listening to it creak and crack and finally calve.

Be prepared for possible seasickness as your boat enters the Gulf of Alaska (even on the best weather day).

OTOH, if you want to do something different, go fishing, hike at Exit Glacier, go flightseeing, try heli dogsledding or dog carting, or just spend the day wandering around the harbor enjoying the activities. Or rent a car drive around for the day.

Visit the town web site for ideas and vendors ....download the town Visitor Gude.

Seward is loaded with opportunities. You need to ask yourself- why you are considering Kenai Fjords? Did you look into details of the trip and have interest? OR you are asking because it's frequently recommended? A Kenai Fjords boat tour, needs an interest in wildlife and scenery and the ability to tolerate the long boat rides. This is NOT a tour for "everyone", and considered costly by some. This is a tour, I do multiple times, every time I'm there- what I like to do. (having also done- for comparison a lot of the above lists)

You state a Tracy Arm tour is "offered"? Are you also considering that AND have the interest? I see, little sameness with either of these tours, with Glacier Bay totally different as well.

IF your cruise is one of those who only has Tracy Arm as a service stop- then I sure would be taking the tour. :)

Take some closer looks at what YOU are interested in and what YOU want out of your trip. Doesn't matter if the "only" trip there. I'd suggest the same thinking- taking advantage of being there - now.

Thanks to all for advice. I am new to cruise critic and appreciate the tips. Yes, we are interested in scenery and wildlife and we like boat rides, so the option looks appealing. I was just worried that Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm and Kenai would be too similar. Can I ask an additional question? Between Mendenhall (cheaper option) and Tracy Arm (more dramatic scenery?) is there a big difference? I am willing to pay more to see more, but I don't want to ignore what's under my nose in Juneau (Mendenhall) if it is just as beautiful as Tracy Arm.

Thanks to all for advice. I am new to cruise critic and appreciate the tips. Yes, we are interested in scenery and wildlife and we like boat rides, so the option looks appealing. I was just worried that Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm and Kenai would be too similar. Can I ask an additional question? Between Mendenhall (cheaper option) and Tracy Arm (more dramatic scenery?) is there a big difference? I am willing to pay more to see more, but I don't want to ignore what's under my nose in Juneau (Mendenhall) if it is just as beautiful as Tracy Arm.

If you are going to take the bus and visit Mendenhall in Juneau (vs plane ride or landing on the glacier), yes, there is a huge difference between Tracy Arm in a small boat and visiting Mendenhall. Go with Tracy Arm small boat.

Edited by Coral

I would encourage you to look thru trip reports (posted in STICKYS near the top of the page). Many of them are detailed photo journals. The first line usually provides the ship, itinerary, date of travel, and excursions.

This report has photos of the Tracy Arm on pg 1 and 2

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2225981

This one has photos of the trail to Mendenhall:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2243510&page=4

Seward is one of our favorite small towns. Go to Exit Glacier ( while it is still around). Take a sled run. If you are there during July 4, be sure to witness the crazy that is the Mountain Marathon. We saw the salmon run there also, just off the road. We ran into some problem getting taxis so we had to call local tour places and hire them.

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend Exit Glacier. And if you're active enough, the Harding Ice Field Trail there is absolutely amazing. It gets you high above the glacier, to where you can see the massive ice fields stretching away from you. The views all other directions are great too. Be aware that it's very steep. But so worth it.

And yes, Tracy Arm and Mendenhall are completely different experiences.