Theme Cruises

dogladyjw

First---don't worry about asking any question. Remember: the only stupid question is the one that's unasked.

Now, to attempt an answer---I've never heard of theme cruises, although sometimes there are theme evenings in the Crow's Nest. I've seen Western Night, a Sox Hop, Senior Prom (I think). Once there was a roaring 20's Night. Irish Night once when we were in Ireland.

The cruise staff will have costumes, but it's a rare passenger who will. I did see someone with twin sweaters, poodle skirt, and saddle shoes once---can't figure how she found room in her luggage.

There's also theme formal nights on longer cruises. I've been to many Black and White Balls. They used to have a Blue and Gold Ball.

Hi, granny! Haven't seen much posting from you lately. How you be?

Are Big Band Cruises theme cruises, you ask? I really can't say for certain one way or the other. They certainly aren't in the same meaning of "theme" that's used for the types I listed above.

And---there aren't many Big Band Cruises anymore, either. Used to be that every trans-Atlantic was a Big Band Cruise, but that hasn't been true for the last several years. (More's the pity.)

The last time my trans-At was a Big Band Cruise was '01. None of the last three were in either direction.

Does HAL have Theme cruises? How do I find out about them? Sorry to be so ignorant.

Not ignorant at all ... it's a good question.

Usually, the cruise line itself doesn't sponsor theme cruises. HAL has some cruises ... if you want to call them themes ... that focus on big band music or cooking. I think the big band cruises are usually repositioning ones, though ... where there are a lot of sea days.

On their website, they also have a schedule for special guest chefs they are bringing onboard for various sailings. These chefs will apparently give demonstrations and such in HAL's new Culinary Arts Center ... which is a new SOE enhancement onboard most of their ships.

But the best place to find theme cruises is on the internet. Do a search by ship's name and the word "theme" ... sometimes that works. There is also a theme cruises sub-board on this forum. You'll often find "fan" themes for various tv shows and actors/actresses, book club cruises, bible study and gospel music cruises, murder mystery cruises ... and a whole host of other stuff. It takes time, but you can find them. When the theme is sponsored by an outside organization, it generally takes place on a regular sailing, and only people who booked through the organization sponsoring the theme cruise can participate in the group's special activities built around that theme.

My very first cruise, by the way, was on the Rotterdam ... a writer's retreat at sea.

Blue skies and good luck ...

--rita

I wish they would have a Big Band cruise or a Jazz (and I'm talking traditional jazz, not smooth jazz) cruise on 7 or 10 day cruises. We seem to miss the trans-atlantic cruises as we are still working. Oh well, hopefully in another 6 years when we retire!

We just returned from VODM where we enjoyed a great Big Band cruise. We did not book that cruise specifically because it was a Big Band, but we enjoyed some wonderful music. They played most nights in Crows Nest (13 piece Harry James Orchestra). I think I heard something about another planned for the spring 2006 but I have no details.

Archived