3 in a room, 2 cancel...now what? Lots of questions.

jallison8378

My cruise is paid for in full. I am the third person in a room and did not purchase vacation protection. If my two travel companions (who DO have vacation protection) cancel, but I still want to go on the cruise, what happens next? Would I then owe the difference between the 3rd person rate and the double occupancy rate?

How does it work if they cancel, say, the day before the cruise? Will I be required to submit a payment at check-in before I'm able to board?

It's a rather expensive room. I might prefer to completely lose the money I've already paid and re-book myself in an inside room at a double occupancy rate. Is this something that can be done in the eleventh hour, assuming there are inside cabins available?

Obviously, next time I'm a third wheel I will be purchasing insurance to protect me from ill or simply flighty roommates. ;) But that doesn't help me now. So I'm hoping someone has had experience with this sort of situation and can provide me with some insight. Thanks!

Oh! That makes sense. Thank you for that, I am unfamiliar with how the vacation protection insurance works.

So it is possible I could be completely unaffected by their cancellations and am just way overthinking this?? If that's not right, somebody correct me before I get too excited! :D

My cruise is paid for in full. I am the third person in a room and did not purchase vacation protection. If my two travel companions (who DO have vacation protection) cancel, but I still want to go on the cruise, what happens next? Would I then owe the difference between the 3rd person rate and the double occupancy rate?

How does it work if they cancel, say, the day before the cruise? Will I be required to submit a payment at check-in before I'm able to board?

It's a rather expensive room. I might prefer to completely lose the money I've already paid and re-book myself in an inside room at a double occupancy rate. Is this something that can be done in the eleventh hour, assuming there are inside cabins available?

Obviously, next time I'm a third wheel I will be purchasing insurance to protect me from ill or simply flighty roommates. ;) But that doesn't help me now. So I'm hoping someone has had experience with this sort of situation and can provide me with some insight. Thanks!

So now your are solo how wonderful.

If it occurs the day before the cruise when they decide not to go, then they should just not show up at the pier and you go and they will be a no show. If they ask you when you check in say we are traveling separate. Then they will have to work with their cruise insurance protection. This way cruise line still has their money and you will be the only one in the room. Go have a great time. The same thing happened to me the morning of the cruise. Of course my friend did have a good excuse as her mother was admitted to the hospital the night before.

If it occurs the day before the cruise when they decide not to go, then they should just not show up at the pier and you go and they will be a no show. If they ask you when you check in say we are traveling separate. Then they will have to work with their cruise insurance protection. This way cruise line still has their money and you will be the only one in the room. Go have a great time. The same thing happened to me the morning of the cruise. Of course my friend did have a good excuse as her mother was admitted to the hospital the night before.

wouldn't the no shows have a problem with the insurance since they never canceled their cruise?

Bill

Good guidance on the "no show" situation, as that is a possibility. Thank you!

What if they call up and legitimately cancel a few weeks or days before the cruise (for medical or "any other reason"?) Can I really expect to just have our room to myself and that's that? Cruise pup--if you're still around--how far before sailing did you cancel?

When I cancelled, my friend still got the cabin to himself and my insurance paid me. The cruise line still had my money.

When one cancels, doesn't that erase you off the booking? Why would the remaining cruiser not have to pay the second fare? Sounds like a scam to give a solo cruiser a cabin without paying a solo supplement and you got your money back. Wondering if there was a built in clause in your insurance to cover this.

What if they call up and legitimately cancel a few weeks or days before the cruise (for medical or "any other reason"?)

The "no show" option is horrible guidance and totally inaccurate.

If they have travel insurance, then they have to actually cancel for a covered reason in order for them to collect any cash reimbursement from their respective travel insurance company.

If they cancel for "any other reason" they will receive a Future Cruise Credit.

Travel Insurance does not pay out for a "no show."

This leaves you on the hook for any solo supplement fees and since you have no travel insurance covering any of the above scenarios, you have no financial protection for this mess.

What if they call up and legitimately cancel a few weeks or days before the cruise (for medical or "any other reason"?) Can I really expect to just have our room to myself and that's that? Cruise pup--if you're still around--how far before sailing did you cancel?

This actually happened to me. My parents and myself were in a balcony room. My dad had a heart attack and him and my mom had to cancel. (This was a couple of months before the cruise but his Dr did not want him going) I was left in the room by myself. In order to get their money back they had to cancel. Carnival then wanted me to pay for the remainder of the room. Luckily I had insurance as well so I had to pay upfront the money and I was reimbursed from insurance after I sailed.

I am not for sure what the insurance policy states in regards to canceling a cruise or being a no show and then trying to file. If they are a no show it will not effect your cruise and you will not have to pay more but I am not sure they would still get all their money back.

In the situation that i described she was a no show at the port. Her mother wasn't admitted to the hospital till the night before the cruise. It was too late to cancel her cruise. I also stated that she had insurance. When i boarded the ship i didn't say anything. She was considered a no show when the cruise left the port. She had to work through her insurance to get reimbursed for the cruise. The cruise line had their money and insurance covered her expenses. She had to prove her case through the insurance company of why she couldn't go on the cruise. Why they don't want to go is not stated in the original post. If it's covered by insurance - some insurance is for any reasons and some have restrictions. But i was not charged a single supplement and it was up to my travel companion to work with the insurance company.

Basically, if your roommates have insurance, they will have to cancel in order to make a claim on their insurance. Once they cancel, Carnival will charge you the single supplement which is equal to 100% of your cruise fare (basically, you pay for both sides of a double room, but only 1 port fees and 1 gratuity).

Unless you can find someone to cruise with you, this is really your only option.

As far as whether you can change to an inside room, that depends on the fare that you booked. If you booked ES, you cannot downgrade your room. You would have to cancel and rebook, which may end up costing you more money in the end.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Also as regards your third person fare, do you know if you actually paid the third person fare for your cabin or was the price of the cabin evenly split?

A third person fare is usually lower than the the first two passengers fare. If you evenly split the cabin in cost, you have subsidized your friends' fares. When they cancel, they will get back the actual cost of their fares while you may find out that you, at least in the cruise line's books, paid less for your cruise that you may think.

I am not saying this is the case, but if it is, you may want to recoup your share of their insurance payment to offset your expenses.

The cruise is a month away. We booked at an Early Saver rate over a year ago. My friends generously offered to let me pay the 3rd person rate to cruise with them, so I am not subsidizing their fares. I opted not to pay extra for insurance at the time because, well, I've never bought it before and never needed it before (and I've cruised well over a dozen times).

One of my friends has developed a medical condition since booking the cruise that has landed him in the hospital twice over the last several months. I SHOULD have added the insurance once all this started happening, but honestly, I just never thought of it. Oops.

I believe the vacation protection will give them something like %75 of their fares back if they cancel "for any reason", and there are reasons completely unrelated to health why they might decide just not to go at the last minute. I do understand that if they "no show" they won't be getting anything back in that case (though it sounds like it would work out great for me--lol).

If they cancel...I'm prepared to completely lose my money or just end up paying A LOT more for the cruise if I decide to go. I was just wondering what to expect in terms of process. Thank you, everyone, for the input!

None of this makes any sense to me.

If the cruise is fully paid for,

and two folks don't show up,

AND they have "any reason" insurance

why would the third occupant be on the hook for more money?

Carnival already received all the money for the cruise.

The money was paid, yes, but it's lost as a penalty for cancelling. That means the OP must fork out a fare for the 2nd bed. Rates are based on double occupancy. The original fare doesn't automatically shift to cover the 2nd bed.

None of this makes any sense to me.

If the cruise is fully paid for,

and two folks don't show up,

AND they have "any reason" insurance

why would the third occupant be on the hook for more money?

Carnival already received all the money for the cruise.

In order to use cancel for any reason insurance wouldn't't you actually have to cancel and not just be a no show?

Do we know for a fact that the OP's friends actually have cancel for any reason insurance?

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

The money was paid, yes, but it's lost as a penalty for cancelling. That means the OP must fork out a fare for the 2nd bed. Rates are based on double occupancy. The original fare doesn't automatically shift to cover the 2nd bed.

I would fight them on this because it's not like they canceled and Carnival had to turn around and give the money back to them or the insurance company - The money carnival got regardless if they charged it as a penalty for canceling still remains in there pocket - there is a good possibility they could just go on the cruise and use the room as single since they still have their money

I would fight them on this because it's not like they canceled and Carnival had to turn around and give the money back to them or the insurance company - The money carnival got regardless if they charged it as a penalty for canceling still remains in there pocket - there is a good possibility they could just go on the cruise and use the room as single since they still have their money

Sounds logical, but that's not how it works.

Oh, so not only does Carnival collect all (or 75%) of the cruise fare - they also get a chance to turn around a resell the cabin? Great.

So even if they cancel the day of the cruise - and Crnival gets to keep 100% - the poor OP is stuck, because Carnival wants the opportunity to resell the cabin to collect even more.

Sounds fair :rolleyes:

And you would lose .. as this is a battle fought and waged many times in the past with the victor being the cruise line. Not just Carnival. All of the cruise lines do this.

In this case, what is actually happening on paper is Carnival is totally refunding the 1st and 2nd passengers 100% of their money.

They are then assessing those 2 passengers a 100% cancellation penalty per the cruise contract ... leaving the cruise only partially paid with the OP's 3rd passenger reduced discounted fare and taxes. The OP needs to make up the deficit to the value of a cabin equal to a Double Occupancy cabin at the current prevailing rates.

Its not too late to get your own travel insurance though. Get it now and then you are covered (if I am thinking this through correctly). You can go through insure my trip and its pretty cheap. I believe you can get insurance up until 2 days before sailing.