What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

I use google all the time, but not sure how it applies here.

If NCL bidding is "exactly like" Ebay, how can it also be "unlike"?

Again - LOL!

No need for personal attacks. If you don't like my opinion that's fine but that is my opinion of the process.

Have a nice day and we're done here

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are sailing on the Epic Oct 1, 2017. We booked our inside room (fwd, deck 13) about 7 weeks before the sailing and decided to bid on an upgrade to a balcony room. The minimum bid was $95 CAD per person so we bid slightly above at $110 CAD per person. We were granted the upgrade within a week of bidding and now have a midship balcony room on deck 12. Can't wait for our cruise (first time cruiser)!!

No need for personal attacks. If you don't like my opinion that's fine but that is my opinion of the process.

Have a nice day and we're done here

Not a personal attack at all. Really. And not a question of opinion, just the facts.

Just pointing out that NCL is not "exactly like" Ebay.

On Ebay you know what others are bidding and can bid higher. On NCL, you have no idea if anyone else is bidding, or what their bids are, high or low. Not an opinion at all. Just the way it is.

Again, not a personal attack. Sorry if I offended. I wish I could delete this whole silly thing.

How high to bid? One dollar more than somebody else. And of course, nobody knows who is bidding on each cruise. I am sure some people get a steal, and others pay much higher. Nobody knows.

Yep, I get that. I wasn't asking here what I should bid, I'm gathering info to assess my own decision.

Different Minimums? With such piecemeal information, there is no way to tell. For example, our option to upgrade to the haven had a minimum of $200 when we first logged in. Now the minimum is at $1,000. I really doubt it matters at all where you are coming from. It is all based on how much MORE money NCL can get for each cabin.

Agree its who they get the most money from. Comments a few pages back suggested the minimum may be based on current cabin. So if my minimum (in a suite) is $1500 but someone else in a balcony has a minimum of $500 the suite has an advantage even when bidding the minimum. I don't think that makes a ton of sense to NCL though. I realize no one knows the answer, just looking for pieces of the puzzle.

Cabins Available, but Sold Out - The do this because someone could cancel, or move up themselves. That way they have a willing buyer on standby.

Makes sense, but I've seen comments on this in both directions and people counting available rooms.

Today is 48 hrs before our cruise and still no word. I imagine we'll find out at the last possible minute (4pm today) we bid on minisuite, 2bdrm, penthouse and haven 2 bdrm. Low bids except the minisuite bid. Our friends bid on a balcony from an OV. I don't have high hopes at this point.

I bit the bullet and bid on upgrades (6 bids I placed) I am originally in a mini suite (4 ladies) wanted extra room so bid on haven 2 bedroom, family suites, penthouse, etc. done I bid min. Some I did fair. This was a comped CAS cruise so original cost was not that expensive since we received 2 come free. So hoping we get it if not I will still make the best of it leaving 10-27 dawn to Bermuda. I received the email but left it sitting there for a few weeks and just went ahead today and said go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bit the bullet and bid on upgrades (6 bids I placed) I am originally in a mini suite (4 ladies) wanted extra room so bid on haven 2 bedroom, family suites, penthouse, etc. done I bid min. Some I did fair. This was a comped CAS cruise so original cost was not that expensive since we received 2 come free. So hoping we get it if not I will still make the best of it leaving 10-27 dawn to Bermuda. I received the email but left it sitting there for a few weeks and just went ahead today and said go for it

Be careful about some of those suites. Some only have a king bed and maybe a small pullout. I assume all 4 of you are staying in one cabin.

Be careful about some of those suites. Some only have a king bed and maybe a small pullout. I assume all 4 of you are staying in one cabin.

Yes we are, as I was doing my research I bid on only the ones I think would work best for us.

My cruise is for the end of November on the Getaway. I currently have a mid ship balcony on level 9y. I was offered:

Mini Suite - starting at 25pp, Haven Spa with Balcony - 400pp, Haven Fwd. Penthouse 400pp.

The other haven rooms appear to have a starting range of 750-1500pp.

I am torn with trying to place an upgrade bid on a mini suite. I cant determine what type of mini suite I would get. I am told my current floor and room location are good and that I do not have an obstructed view. I would have to imagine the mini suites would not have an obstructed view. There are only 2 of us in the cabin, but I thought the upgraded bathroom size would be nice.

I am torn with trying to place an upgrade bid on a mini suite. I cant determine what type of mini suite I would get. I am told my current floor and room location are good and that I do not have an obstructed view. I would have to imagine the mini suites would not have an obstructed view. There are only 2 of us in the cabin, but I thought the upgraded bathroom size would be nice.

You won't have to worry about the view as there are no obstructed view minisuites. But you will have to worry about where the cabin is located. If you get placed in a minisuite on deck 14, for instance, you might be below the pool deck and get to hear the sounds of lounge chairs being moved across your ceiling at 6 a.m.

So it is a minor gamble: Are you willing to give up your known location for a bathtub and a longer couch?

Yes, many folks either do not like the bidding process, or are very happy with the cabin they have. That's cool.

On a side not, the bidding is NOT like Ebay. On Ebay you at least can see what is being bid, and you know exactly what you getting. With NCL's program, you know the category, but not the location. And most important, you do not know how many others have placed a bid, or how much.

I think the NCL program is a good one and much better than the random upsell program from the past.

I too think it is a great program. If there are extra cabins or they want to free up cabins, why not do it the way they do? I think it is smart and fun.To be honest, we did bid on our sailing in November, but doubt we will win. If not, at least we tried and it certainly isn't begging for anything. ;p

Interesting and helpful. I'm reading backwards though the 60+ posts trying to figure out how this works for suites. We're on POA Thanksgiving week in a 2bdr Family Suite and got our upgrade notice yesterday (only on the NCL site, no email). On and off there's been a 2 BDR Deluxe Family Suite and an Owners Suite available on the NCL site, although not the best choices in location. My upgrade options included both of these plus a Deluxe Owners Suite and Penthouse Suite (we don't want the latter). I'm trying to anticipate likelihood of getting any of these and how high I'd really need to bid. Minimum is $1000-$1500 (for 2 p) for most of these, POA is expensive.

So sounds like my minimum is higher than someone coming from a balcony to bid on a suite?

I still haven't clarified, why would a Deluxe Owners Suite and Penthouse Suite be available when they've all been booked for months? Do they put it out there in hopes someone will move up into a Deluxe Family Suite which sells for a slightly higher price?

I'm hoping there's enough shuffling that a different location opens up, or the Deluxe Owners which would be amazing. I realize that's a really long shot, and this is not a cheap upgrade. We'll be fine with what we reserved, but the other options are twice the size so even with less desirable baloncies I'd still love the upgrade.

Are they telling you the location or room numbers? I didn't think they were doing that?

I know the OS are on at least 4 different floors and as far as OS for NCL POA has the most varying configurations. There is only one DOS on POA so chances would be slim for that. There are reports of NCL offering bids for room categories already sold out.

Are they telling you the location or room numbers? I didn't think they were doing that?

No, you do not know until after you have "won", been assigned and charged.

Some folks can figure out the location before they bid based on the room type. Some rooms ONLY exist in certain locations - suites like OS, DOS, etc.

I know the OS are on at least 4 different floors and as far as OS for NCL POA has the most varying configurations. There is only one DOS on POA so chances would be slim for that. There are reports of NCL offering bids for room categories already sold out.

They are not telling the location on the upgrade page. But like I said over the last many weeks when I look at what's available on the NCL site (as if buying a cruise) there is one OS (8000) and one Deluxe Family Suite (9000) consistently going on and off availability. Those to me are the less desirable locations for those particular layouts (OS on 8 has a sheltered balcony, DFS on 9 has a smaller balcony than what we have on the aft now and is on the starboard side).

Seems like a long shot to sell a high price point suite within 80 days of sailing, so unless there's a lot of shuffling they are likely the ones I'd get upgraded into.

All speculation based on research and monitoring availability.

Has anyone not gotten their bid accepted and just never heard either way? It's super close to 48hrs til our sailing and they all still say "pending"

I got my declination a little while ago for my Sunday cruise. It was in my SPAM folder [emoji35]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My cruise is for the end of November on the Getaway. I currently have a mid ship balcony on level 9y. I was offered:

Mini Suite - starting at 25pp, Haven Spa with Balcony - 400pp, Haven Fwd. Penthouse 400pp.

The other haven rooms appear to have a starting range of 750-1500pp.

This is my concern as well. I'm in an Aft balcony now, one that I chose after researching here and on YouTube. I had originally wanted an Aft Mini Suite but they were all sold out.. the upgrade email only shows "mini suite" as an option, not aft.

I don't know if the $750 min per person is worth the Haven Aft for a 4 port cruise on the Getaway. It's tempting, but I'm thinking I'd have to bet $2k, will probably pass.

They're showing sold out on the NCL site anyway.

I am 80 days out and just received an email today. Reviewing my options.

Please report back if you do the bids what category you go from and to, and the offer. Also, did you book direct with the cruise line or with a TA and do you know if that makes a difference? Thanks

Bid $900 ($1800 total) for a few different Haven suites and no upgrade or denial email for the escape on 9/2... bid showed expired as of yesterday so we knew it was a no go but an email either way would have been nice!