Things to do after boarding the ship.

Megangrahl

So my husband and I are leaving from Galveston this Sunday on a carnival cruise. !!! My best friend lives in Texas and is giving us transportation from the airport on Sunday but has to leave as early as possible on Sunday. So we picked the 10am boarding time and the ship doesn't leave until 4! Normally we like to stay on the boat after boarding and just eat and sit outside. But I'm thinking that's a lot of time and it seems like there's things to do by the dock. How easy is it to get off and on the ship after boarding? We don't want to waste an hour in line or anything. But I've never gotten on a ship so early, are things even going to be open on the ship at 11? I'm guessing our room may not even be ready.

I think it would be a pain to board and then get back on even if they let you. Plus you would have to carry your carryon with you if the rooms aren't ready. I would find myself a nice place to people watch and grab a fruity drink and explore the ship!!

So we picked the 10am boarding time and the ship doesn't leave until 4! Normally we like to stay on the boat after boarding and just eat and sit outside. But I'm thinking that's a lot of time and it seems like there's things to do by the dock. How easy is it to get off and on the ship after boarding? We don't want to waste an hour in line or anything. But I've never gotten on a ship so early, are things even going to be open on the ship at 11? I'm guessing our room may not even be ready.

10am is the check in time, not necessarily the boarding time so I doubt you'd get on the ship right at 10am. I don't think they'd let you off the ship after you board due to customs issues unless it was an emergency, plus it would delay things for other folks. The 10am is just the earliest you can check in but you don't have to be that early. If there's things in port you want to do, then do that first and then board the ship. Also there are always things open on the ship but sometimes it's just some limited food options.

10am is the check in time, not necessarily the boarding time so I doubt you'd get on the ship right at 10am. I don't think they'd let you off the ship after you board due to customs issues unless it was an emergency, plus it would delay things for other folks. The 10am is just the earliest you can check in but you don't have to be that early. If there's things in port you want to do, then do that first and then board the ship. Also there are always things open on the ship but sometimes it's just some limited food options.

Good Point, 10am is check in, it will probably be 10:45ish if you get there right on time, that you actually are on the ship.

4pm is sailing time. Most likely "all aboard" time is closer to 3pm so that there is time for everyone to participate in the muster drill. Allowing a little time for finding that means perhaps needing to be ready by 2:30 pm. On the other end figure to board at 10:30 at earliest and often cabins are not ready (depending on line) for dropping carry-ons in room so you end up carrying them around for awhile. Buffet and dining room may be open at 11 or 12 but typically will be really busy and slow. Best case you might get an hour or so in there to explore the ship and get familiar with where things are - including table location in MDR if on a fixed schedule. We always board pretty early (when they take on the wheelchairs) and have never had an excess of time before the muster drill.