Western Caribbean jewelry stores

luv2camp04

So I know that some of the best jewelry shopping in the Caribbean is in places like St Thomas, etc... We will be in the Western Caribbean n a few weeks and just wondering if anyone has suggestions regarding jewelry stores, specifically diamonds. Looking for recommendations with both price and quality. We will be stopping at Key West, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios Jamaica. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think the general consensus here s that you have to be very careful buying jewelry, especially gems at port stops. Do not expect to get a great deal...if you stick to the larger stores, you will probably get an ok deal...but one you could have gotten at home.

Don't rely on the port shopping guaranties or recommendations you get on the ship from the folks who are paid by the stores for what you buy....and celebrity will quickly claim that they have no part of the recommendations or guarantees.

So I know that some of the best jewelry shopping in the Caribbean is in places like St Thomas, etc... We will be in the Western Caribbean n a few weeks and just wondering if anyone has suggestions regarding jewelry stores, specifically diamonds. Looking for recommendations with both price and quality. We will be stopping at Key West, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios Jamaica. Thanks!!

unless you are a diamond expert, chances are you will not find a bargain, especially if you ask to see graded stones only(such as GIA rated). Educate yourself first. this site may help you decide.

http://4cs.gia.edu/en-us/diamond-grading-report/

Good hunting

On board you will be told that Diamonds International are doing you a favour by selling you stones.

However despite the cute marketing they really don't offer genuine value if you are looking for quality stones certified by a worthwhile company such as GIA.

If you're looking for quality diamonds take a look at Blue Nile or even James Allen online. I had a Diamonds International store manager admit that he could not beat BN on price.

All that said, if you like a particular piece and are not bothered that it's probably not a bargain, buy it.

Be especially cautious about the tanzanite they sell also. Much of it is very poor quality being palmed off as something it is not! The certification they supply simply 'certifies' that the piece was produced by the manufacturer such as Safi Kalima etc.

Be very careful!!!

P.S Little Switzerland isn't bad for Omega and Breitling watches though. :)

Remember, anything you buy is duty and tax free. It is NOT, however, profit free! In fact, the reason the cruise line offers 'recommended' stores is because they get PAID by them and not because they offer a particular bargain!

Just about ALL islands have to import everything they sell and I know one (can't remember which one), imposed a 27% import duty one everthing. Guess who pays for that? Huh?

I had some luck winning a poker tournament on one ship, so with the $1800 I won, I bought the DW and myself Citizen watches. I checked the price online when we got back and whilst I didn't overpay, I could easily match and even slightly beat the 'bargain price' I got them for!

I quit smoking about 20 months ago, but before I did, I would always buy my allowance on the ship or in port. However, the last couple of trips, they were actually MORE expensive that I could buy them in a local store. They were much cheaper than the crazy prices charged in New York or LA, but not even close to the prices here in the south. I know they're crazy cheap compared to the UK too!

This is just my opinion but I think there are very few real bargains to be found anymore. You're better off shopping at home. I had a couple pieces I bought in the Caribbean appraised when I got home and they appraise for less than I paid so that was it for me.

Thanks everyone. That's pretty much what I thought. My reason for asking was that I lost the diamond out of my wedding ring the other day. Fortunately, it was found!! Won't be buying any diamonds now. That's a good thing since we have one daughter graduating from college this year and the other getting married in a year.