Book directly with RCCL or go through a TA?

leela14

Hi everyone, haven't been on here in a few years because we haven't cruised since 2013. I'm looking to book something for May or June of this year. Just wondering if you guys think there is any value going through a TA (no I'm not looking for recommendations lol) or it it just as well to book directly with RCCL? It used to be that you could get better deals going through a TA, but I'm not seeing that this time. I'm also not seeing that they have access to rooms that RCCL doesn't have. I remember years ago the agencies would books blocks of rooms (like hotels) but I'm not seeing that anymore.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this, am I just wasting my time with agencies. Thanks.

It's a matter of personal preference, there's no universal "best" way to book.

Travel agents can give perks such as OBC, free specialty restaurants, etc. They can also handle all the communications with the cruise line, taking the burden off you.

However, once your booking is owned by the TA, you lose the ability to deal direct with the cruise line with regard to certain aspects of your booking. You cannot change staterooms, get a price drop, make payments, etc., without going through the travel agent.

Lots of chatter on this subject. You're probably giving up extra OBC or TA paid gratuities by not using one. If you're trying to book a specific cabin on Royal's website, it's a pain, or even impossible. You may have to book a specific category then call in to see if you can get the cabin you want. Most decent online TA's have a much easier system to see what cabins are available across multiple categories at once.

I'm a do it myself person but you will see many people here mention calling their TA's. A lot. I don't really understand the need for that but if you do fall into that category and need a lot of help a TA may be the better route.

I think TA's a great if you want to compare different cruises and/or cabins since they can get prices instantly, but if you know exactly what ship and dates then I don't see any advantage.

I believe it's a personal preference. I've been cruising since the late 80's and have only used a TA once (& that's because I was minor travelling with 1st timers). For the most part, when booking and dealing with the cruise line, I've received some of the best service.

I think TA's a great if you want to compare different cruises and/or cabins since they can get prices instantly, but if you know exactly what ship and dates then I don't see any advantage.

With our TA there is definitely an advantage. She always gives us OBC for using her and she is VERY responsive with questions/issues. Honors price drops without charging any fees or losing any benefits (or at least pointing out benefits being potentially lost to aid in our decision). Mainly the OBC in and of itself is reason enough to go w/ a TA.

I always find the exact sailing and cabin I want, and then go to the travel agent site where they compete for your cruise business. I then peruse the best deals (often quite substantial) that I'm offered by each TA and then book accordingly.

I do this knowing full well that other than setting up my dinner reservations and packages (drinks, specialty and MTD, etc) I will need to go through my TA to make any other changes. But we almost always book 'last minute' so I typically never even speak with the TA again before the cruise.

We have booked directly and held the booking, we've booked directly and handed the booking off to a TA, and we've had a TA do the booking from the outset. Nowadays, I generally do the research and ask the TA make the booking. I do keep an eye on prices thereafter.

As a Canadian who hasn't cruised since 2013, you might not realize that there is a TA now in Canada that offers perks comparable to those offered by US TAs. For a two-week March 2018 cruise, we are getting a $500 cash card, so it's certainly worth it to me to use the TA.

Usually, I look to see if the TA has any advantages (price, perks, etc) over booking direct with the cruise line.

If the TA has the advantage, I'll book through them.

If not, I'll book through the cruise line to maintain maximum control over room assignments, etc.

Make sure you ask your buddies for a good TA recommendation. A good TA can give you perks. In the past, I was lazy and booked a couple of cruises (not RCI) with a random TA and had an extremely negative experience. There was a massive price drop on my cruises and my horrible TA wouldn't help me obtain them. I missed out. It really sucked because all of the people on my roll call were bragging that they were able to get the price drops and pocketed huge bucks.

A lot of people in my roll call who booked directly with their cruise line received automatic refunds to their credit cards of the price difference, when there were price drops. They didn't even have to do anything! Does anybody know if booking directly with RCI also carries this benefit? If so, I believe this is a huge perk. I'm really busy and don't have time to deal with TA's and watching for price drops. This would be perfect for someone like me.