Emerald Princess Crew Member Killed in Gas Explosion

LauraS

How very sad for Princess and for the family:(. I hate to sound insensitive but I am suppose to go on this ship at the end of June to Alaska, what will Princess do in this case? Thank you.

I understand there is no physical damage to the ship and that, although there is a delay in leaving port by the current tour meaning it will miss Fiordland and head straight to Sydney, other sailings will be unaffected.

Friends are on this cruise. Here is her text to me:

"The crew member was working on thehydralic launching system on one of the ship's tender vessels. People were boarding the ship prior to departure and witnessed the incident."

Horrific. Prayers to the family and friends of the crew member.

Sounds like it was one of those all important crew members that work behind the scenes making sure everything is functioning like it should. God bless.

Every crew member is important, and the quiet, unassuming maintenance crew go quietly about their business all over the ship, checking, testing, repairing, making sure it is all in perfect working order for the guests

We haven't sailed Emerald Princess as yet, but can guess from other cruises how much this will affect all on board, particularly the Captain and Crew

We are so used to safety at sea and feeling safe at sea aboard these mighty ships that we think little of it, but this is a difficult work place to maintain and the salt corrodes by stealth beneath all that paint.

Our condolences to all affected by this tragic accident

Kristine & Mike

Melbourne, Australia