The Sad Demise of The NCL Upgrade/Upsell Fairy as he bids farewell

cruiseguys2009

The unintended consequence is we either don't book a trip at all on NCL or we have booked YC on MSC and will be sailing them for the first time this August. What I've seen so far is very impressive of the YC except room size.

I agree most Divina YC cabins seemed a bit small. I was too late to get a YC on the Seaside TA in December so was placed on an informal wait list. If that doesn't work I'll try it early next year.

So, I've seen some posts where people say you're bidding against yourself if you keep upping your bid until sailing. At first I didn't understand that, but, the more I think about this, I think they are right. On our upcoming sailing for instance, one day there were 8 Haven rooms in one category available and the next day, one. And its been that way since. But the room numbers on that one room available change sometimes when I check on it. So, I'm thinking, perhaps NCL pulls those rooms when they figure they have enough fair bids to assign to bidders closer to sailing, but leaves one out there all the time so those who would book full price see inventory and can book. And then they add another room as necessary when one is bought.

Maybe that's off base or maybe on such a popular sailing, seven people paid full price for that room class overnight. For four people, that would be close to $10,000. I guess that's possible but seems like a lot in one night. Anyway, just find it interesting. Because if they were pulled to be assigned later, that bidding theory is right. People keep outbidding themselves when they might already have the room. Who knows. but its fun to speculate.

How NCL decides to offer their cabins is their business. If you choose to participate in whatever program they offer is your decision. Bitching and complaining about it is just still. Book the cabin you want initially.

Lots of travel companies do this, it's hardly something revolutionary or negative to customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never received a call from any cruise line. So, I would like to know how this new system works. Does the cruise line contact the customer, and inquire if they would like to place a bid for a better room?

Thanks!

So, I've seen some posts where people say you're bidding against yourself if you keep upping your bid until sailing. At first I didn't understand that, but, the more I think about this, I think they are right. On our upcoming sailing for instance, one day there were 8 Haven rooms in one category available and the next day, one. And its been that way since. But the room numbers on that one room available change sometimes when I check on it. So, I'm thinking, perhaps NCL pulls those rooms when they figure they have enough fair bids to assign to bidders closer to sailing, but leaves one out there all the time so those who would book full price see inventory and can book. And then they add another room as necessary when one is bought.

Maybe that's off base or maybe on such a popular sailing, seven people paid full price for that room class overnight. For four people, that would be close to $10,000. I guess that's possible but seems like a lot in one night. Anyway, just find it interesting. Because if they were pulled to be assigned later, that bidding theory is right. People keep outbidding themselves when they might already have the room. Who knows. but its fun to speculate.

Someone is finally understanding revenue yield and inventory control. :)

Ha! Yes. Just struck me that I know what it meant know. And your comment is very amusing Derbie. I have the room that I want and am far from complaining. The Gaven would be a bonus. Simply looking for validation of how the process works from those far wiser and more experienced with it than me. Have a great day!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums