Two questions re: black sand and monkeys!

cruizinisthebest

Hi all,

My family and I just booked an 8 day cruise next Summer that stops in St. Kitts. We have plenty of time to plan, but I wanted to find out some information right from the start.

This will be our first visit to St. Kitts. Is shipwreck, I think that's the name, the only beach that has black sand? And is the sand only black at certain times of the year? I know this may not be a big deal to some, but we've been to a ton of beaches. I think it would be neat to see something different. I hope we can make it happen.

Second question is regarding monkeys. Seems like every other pic I see has someone holding a monkey. I have zero interest in this. I mean zero. How avoidable is this? I don't want any pics with monkeys. None with my kids either. I saw in another post where someone said they basically don't even ask at the port area. That the guys with the monkeys just put them on you then offer to take pics. I don't want to be rude or confrontational, but there's going to be a problem if anyone puts a monkey on me or my kids. Also, do they roam free on the beaches?

Any advice on how to avoid them, so we can enjoy what otherwise looks like a beautiful port? Thanks.

Hi all,

My family and I just booked an 8 day cruise next Summer that stops in St. Kitts. We have plenty of time to plan, but I wanted to find out some information right from the start.

This will be our first visit to St. Kitts. Is shipwreck, I think that's the name, the only beach that has black sand? And is the sand only black at certain times of the year? I know this may not be a big deal to some, but we've been to a ton of beaches. I think it would be neat to see something different. I hope we can make it happen.

Second question is regarding monkeys. Seems like every other pic I see has someone holding a monkey. I have zero interest in this. I mean zero. How avoidable is this? I don't want any pics with monkeys. None with my kids either. I saw in another post where someone said they basically don't even ask at the port area. That the guys with the monkeys just put them on you then offer to take pics. I don't want to be rude or confrontational, but there's going to be a problem if anyone puts a monkey on me or my kids. Also, do they roam free on the beaches?

Any advice on how to avoid them, so we can enjoy what otherwise looks like a beautiful port? Thanks.

I can try to help. We were at Shipwreck Beach Bar & Grill (southern part of South Friar's Beach) in September 2015 and the beach had black sand during our visit. At Shipwreck, there is no charge to use the loungers/palapas but we did purchase beverages from the bar. I can't comment on the food/pricing because we didn't get anything to eat while we were there. As for the black sand, as mentioned, definitely there on our visit but it may come and go. I have seen other reviews/pictures where the sand was mixed in color with some streaks of black sand, so I think it may be hit or miss but don't know if has to do with the time of year or not.

As for Shipwreck itself, it's not the place for everyone. It tends to be quiet and laid back and pretty much "no frills". The restaurant/bar is spacious and open with great views overlooking the water. The restaurant/bar is located above the beach but they have stairs that you can access the beach from. The beach itself is rather narrow and I've heard that was due to several storms between 2013 and 2014. There is only room for one row of loungers/palapas when in 2013, the beach was wider and there were two rows. With the beach being as narrow as it is, the water comes pretty close to the loungers, so it may not be the best choice on a day with rougher water. There is also another section of loungers above the beach on the same level as the restaurant/bar and they have a few hammocks as well.

But...we LOVED it. First of all, it was so much different than any beach we've been to before, so that was a plus. As I mentioned, there are beautiful views (including Nevis, if it's not cloud covered) and there are sections for snorkeling and swimming. The swimming side is to the left if you're looking at the ocean and snorkeling to the right. There were others there but it never felt crowded or got loud. I did a review following our cruise and included a lot of pictures. I'm attaching the link to it, if you're interested in seeing the pictures. I'm hoping it will open to Page 27, where my section/pictures of Shipwreck Beach start. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275573&page=27

Now for the monkeys. Yes, there definitely are vendors who carry them around and charge for pictures in the cruise center area. We've been to St. Kitts twice now but were never approached. We don't have kids though, so they may seek out people with kids and approach them but I'm not sure. If you happen to make a stop at the Timothy Hill overlook (the famous view of the narrow part of St. Kitts where you can see both Caribbean and Atlantic), there is a vendor there with a monkey and a donkey who charges for pictures. We stopped there twice and saw him, but were never approached. It seemed that those wanting the photo ops went to him. We went to Cockleshell Beach on our first visit to St. Kitts and there was a guy with monkey walking the beach and approaching people. We just told him "no thank you" and he just moved on. So I think a simple "no thank you" should work. If not, I'd just walk away. Hope this information helps. Apparently there are "wild monkeys" at shipwreck near the parking lot and have seen it mentioned in reviews. We never saw any monkeys while we were there, even when we were out there waiting for our cab driver. I don't think they go down to the beach.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Thank you so so much for all of the information. I will definitely take a look at your review tonight. I think I may have seen a few pics you posted in mitsugirly's thread. That's how I know the name shipwreck. So helpful! Thank you.

Yes, that was me who posted some pictures to Mitsugirly's thread...great memory! :) They ended up going to Carambola (another option), at the opposite end of South Friar's Bay and about a 10 - 15 minute walk to/from Shipwreck. Glad it was helpful to you.

Hubby and I went to Shipwreck beach in March, 2015. Personally, I was horrified but tried to make the best of it. We had to share a chair to put our bag and towels on which was fine because we love to spend time in the ocean. The ocean was a disaster, full of rocks, large and small and when we moved away from the rocks we saw rusted metal stuff (cans, etc). We were told that we might see monkeys in the hills at the beach but thankfully we didn't see any.

We went to this beach because people we met in the Concierge lounge were going and we love the beach. We went to a beach before but it was almost an hour away so we were happy to hear of one so close.

We have grown-up kids and I would not recommend this beach to them or anyone ever.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My family of five (kids ranging in age from 8-12) was in St. Kitts last summer and went to Shipwreck Beach. We didn't have a lot of time as we were on a tour where we did other things. It is true that the beach is very narrow. We ate lunch and were told we could use the chairs for free. We essentially used them as a place to put out things so they didn't get wet. The sand was black and brown and different from what we had seen elsewhere.

As far as the monkeys, no one bothered us at the port. No one bothered us at Timothy Hill. I had also read about the folks who would just walk up to you and put the monkeys on you, but we were happy that didn't happen to us. Only one of my three kids really would have enjoyed it anyway.

I have a trip report in my signature, with a few photos from Shipwreck, if you want to look. :) Those photos are on page 11.

Hubby and I went to Shipwreck beach in March, 2015. Personally, I was horrified but tried to make the best of it. We had to share a chair to put our bag and towels on which was fine because we love to spend time in the ocean. The ocean was a disaster, full of rocks, large and small and when we moved away from the rocks we saw rusted metal stuff (cans, etc). We were told that we might see monkeys in the hills at the beach but thankfully we didn't see any.

We went to this beach because people we met in the Concierge lounge were going and we love the beach. We went to a beach before but it was almost an hour away so we were happy to hear of one so close.

We have grown-up kids and I would not recommend this beach to them or anyone ever.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks. I doubt we will stay there the entire time. Just long enough to see the black sand and have a drink.

My family of five (kids ranging in age from 8-12) was in St. Kitts last summer and went to Shipwreck Beach. We didn't have a lot of time as we were on a tour where we did other things. It is true that the beach is very narrow. We ate lunch and were told we could use the chairs for free. We essentially used them as a place to put out things so they didn't get wet. The sand was black and brown and different from what we had seen elsewhere.

As far as the monkeys, no one bothered us at the port. No one bothered us at Timothy Hill. I had also read about the folks who would just walk up to you and put the monkeys on you, but we were happy that didn't happen to us. Only one of my three kids really would have enjoyed it anyway.

I have a trip report in my signature, with a few photos from Shipwreck, if you want to look. :) Those photos are on page 11.

I will definitely check out your review!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Although we went to Carambola for the day, we did walk down (past Discovery, which looked really nice and quiet and did have black sand) all the way to Shipwreck. The black sand is so pretty and so unique. I do, however, think it just might depend on the time of year, the weather, the day, the ..... I don't know. But, the day we were there it was AMAZING! There was a lot of it too. However, we were in St Kitts a few prior to that time and some friends went to the same place (Ship Wreck) and there wasn't any black sand (they showed us the picture). So, something must definitely determine whether it's there or not...I just don't know what.

If you want to see pictures, check out the Carambola link in my signature line. Then, scroll until you get to the part we go exploring down the beach and you'll see pictures of the black sand and Shipwreck. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak for shipwreck, as we went to Cockleshell at the end of Jan. But the monkey pictures were non-stop. The guys in port were nice about it, but the ones at Cockelshell were rude. One guy who called my husband a cheap (insert word that shouldn't have been said in front of our toddler) because he politely refused the picture. The same guy then tossed the monkey on a girl near us who was sunbathing with her eyes shut. That guy (along with a handful of others) worked that area of the beach the entire time we were there, continuing to ask us to hold the monkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can't speak for shipwreck, as we went to Cockleshell at the end of Jan. But the monkey pictures were non-stop. The guys in port were nice about it, but the ones at Cockelshell were rude. One guy who called my husband a cheap (insert word that shouldn't have been said in front of our toddler) because he politely refused the picture. The same guy then tossed the monkey on a girl near us who was sunbathing with her eyes shut. That guy (along with a handful of others) worked that area of the beach the entire time we were there, continuing to ask us to hold the monkey.

Oh my gosh, that is terrible! I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Hubby and I have no plans to get off the ship in St. Kitts on our vacation because we have always had bad experiences there.

Oh my gosh, that is terrible! I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Hubby and I have no plans to get off the ship in St. Kitts on our vacation because we have always had bad experiences there.

If we find ourselves with St. Kitts on the itinerary again, we'll get off the ship again but may choose another beach, especially since there are so many to pick from.

All the other ports had vendors selling stuff, but all others were fine if you said no thank you. Maybe this was just one rogue vendor.

That's terrible. I hope this was an isolated jerk. Sometimes the vendors do get snippy. I remember one made a snide comment to me in the Bahamas when we decided to pass on their overpriced chairs and umbrellas. I was nice about it. He still made a smart remark then walked off. Whatever.

I just hope we don't have any issues. I feel like I'm going to have to say no thank you regarding these monkeys the entire time. I think they should be left alone anyway. Not captured for profit wearing ridiculous baby diapers!

We went to South Friar beach and my wife was insistent on no monkeys.

Once we got there a vendor came up with a little one am my wife fell in love with it - got a picture of one on her head and another with him on my hands and paid the guy $5 to take the pictures. My point? You may change your mind when you get there.

There are supposed to be monkeys roaming the hillside behind Black Friar but we never saw any......

We were bombarded with monkeys when we got off the ship. One guy went up to my son and put aloe all over his face so the monkey would jump on him and try to eat/lick it off. It was awful!! Beware of these guys and tell them before they get near you to stay back!! Actually, the monkeys have overrun the island according to our tour guide. They are a real nuisance.

We went to South Friar beach and my wife was insistent on no monkeys.

Once we got there a vendor came up with a little one am my wife fell in love with it - got a picture of one on her head and another with him on my hands and paid the guy $5 to take the pictures. My point? You may change your mind when you get there.

There are supposed to be monkeys roaming the hillside behind Black Friar but we never saw any......

I can guarantee you I won't be changing my mind. But thanks for the story. Glad your wife got her pics!

We were bombarded with monkeys when we got off the ship. One guy went up to my son and put aloe all over his face so the monkey would jump on him and try to eat/lick it off. It was awful!! Beware of these guys and tell them before they get near you to stay back!! Actually, the monkeys have overrun the island according to our tour guide. They are a real nuisance.

Ugh! I mean that is so rude. These monkey handlers need to understand that not everyone is fond of them or want to touch them. Leave people alone unless they approach you!

Ugh! I mean that is so rude. These monkey handlers need to understand that not everyone is fond of them or want to touch them. Leave people alone unless they approach you!

To them, it's all about the $$$$$$$$. I question how they even get these monkeys and how they treat them.

I think that it involves the death of the mother. Occasionally you may see a dead monkey on the road (roadkill) and someone may rescue the orphaned baby, but I believe that most of the small monkeys are removed from the mothers, eye teeth pulled out and then turned into a tourist attraction. I wonder what happens when they get too large to handle and are not cute anymore??? The monkeys are an invasive species to the islands and if you are a farmer or even a homeowner with fruit trees you will come to dislike the monkeys because they will ruin your crops and eat your fruit.

I think that it involves the death of the mother. Occasionally you may see a dead monkey on the road (roadkill) and someone may rescue the orphaned baby, but I believe that most of the small monkeys are removed from the mothers, eye teeth pulled out and then turned into a tourist attraction. I wonder what happens when they get too large to handle and are not cute anymore??? The monkeys are an invasive species to the islands and if you are a farmer or even a homeowner with fruit trees you will come to dislike the monkeys because they will ruin your crops and eat your fruit.

Omg! I wondered where is the mother too - when I see pics of people holding these small ones. I'll have to do some research - just for my own curiosity. Sounds pretty horrible.

There were people with monkeys at the cruise dock offering to let you hold them as well as at other stops on our tour. I was one of the people who wanted to get a picture with a monkey, but I saw many people politely saying "no" and they moved on. We did see a few wild ones on the island as well.

The best place to experience black sand beaches is South Friars Beach, the black sand is closer to Shipwreck than to Carmabola. The monkey's only come out of the hill side in the late afternoon and come down to get food which the restaurant puts out for them. The beach has improved greatly since last year, seems the erosion has stopped based on the pictures I've seen.

The monkeys in port are all vet checked and have their teeth removed. No idea what happens to their mothers. Most times the monkey vendors will ask before placing the monkeys on you. They wear the green shirts that say PET ME (or something like that).

They are some rogue monkey vendors that are working illegally and they are the ones that will harass you. If the vendors are not wearing ID around their neck then you know they are not authorized to approach you.

With a population of 40,000 people (approx) and over 70,000 monkeys those 'cute little monkeys' are nothing but pests to the locals. They will steal the fruit from the trees and eat your vegetables. They are one of the main reasons why farming is not bountiful on the island, even with the fertile soil.

The best place to experience black sand beaches is South Friars Beach, the black sand is closer to Shipwreck than to Carmabola. The monkey's only come out of the hill side in the late afternoon and come down to get food which the restaurant puts out for them. The beach has improved greatly since last year, seems the erosion has stopped based on the pictures I've seen.

The monkeys in port are all vet checked and have their teeth removed. No idea what happens to their mothers. Most times the monkey vendors will ask before placing the monkeys on you. They wear the green shirts that say PET ME (or something like that).

They are some rogue monkey vendors that are working illegally and they are the ones that will harass you. If the vendors are not wearing ID around their neck then you know they are not authorized to approach you.

With a population of 40,000 people (approx) and over 70,000 monkeys those 'cute little monkeys' are nothing but pests to the locals. They will steal the fruit from the trees and eat your vegetables. They are one of the main reasons why farming is not bountiful on the island, even with the fertile soil.

This sounds silly but does the black sand leave your feet and clothes "dirty" looking? I read somewhere that someone was complaining about that.

Does anyone recall how much the vendors ask for a photo with the monkeys? My daughter would LOVE this! Also, do they have their own camera, or are you supposed to just hand them your camera/phone and hope they don't run off with it? My luck, I'd lose my phone with all our vacation pics and end up with a baby monkey in return.

This sounds silly but does the black sand leave your feet and clothes "dirty" looking? I read somewhere that someone was complaining about that.

Not silly at all. We didn't have that problem when we spent several hours at Shipwreck (at South Friar's) in September 2015. Although it's black in color, it's regular sand and washes off just like any other sand. It didn't have mud mixed in with it. But technically, if it's on your feet or clothes, it will look dirty because of the color, but it will wash right off. From what I'm hearing though, the black sand comes and goes. When we were there in September 2015, there was black sand, so we lucked out, but I have seen other comments/reviews mentioning it wasn't there. But if you want to see black sand, as toes_in_sand mentioned, the best chance to see it would be down on the Shipwreck Beach/Discovery Bar are of South Friar's (southern end).

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Does anyone recall how much the vendors ask for a photo with the monkeys? My daughter would LOVE this! Also, do they have their own camera, or are you supposed to just hand them your camera/phone and hope they don't run off with it? My luck, I'd lose my phone with all our vacation pics and end up with a baby monkey in return.

When we were there most of them asked for $10. This is subject to negotiation though. I took the picture with my phone and DID NOT give it to them to take. They do not have their own cameras. At least the ones we dealt with didn't.