Places or things you could see/do pre/post Cruise in Seattle

shadowmeboy

BL%20SL%205.jpg

SL%20BL%206.jpg

I hope these pictures give you some ideas of what can be done right in the heart of Seattle. There are tons of things to see and do outside the city as well.

Snoqualmie Falls, Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens are a few other ideas.

Please comment or ask questions if you have any!

Thanks for the detailed posts! How difficult is it ,would you say to go sea-tac-light rail- then monorail towards space needle? Our hotel is up by space needle area,and I would like to avoid renting a car for our day In Seattle pre cruise......

Thanks for the detailed posts! How difficult is it ,would you say to go sea-tac-light rail- then monorail towards space needle? Our hotel is up by space needle area,and I would like to avoid renting a car for our day In Seattle pre cruise......

To be honest, it's a pain. The light rail isn't very friendly to people with cruise luggage, and it's a schlep from the terminal to the station at the airport. Once you get downtown on the train, you need to go up to the monorail station in Westlake Center (connected to, but not adjacent to the light rail station) then ride the monorail to Seattle Center, then down the ramps and walk to your hotel. Depending on which hotel in particular, that walk can be as little as ten minutes or as much as half an hour.

Door to door you're looking at something like 90 minutes from plane to hotel (could be a little less, could be a lot more.) A taxi or towncar from the airport straight to the hotel will cost around $50 and take half an hour; Uber probably $10 less or so. What's your time worth?

If you are doing it without bags not bad, but as the other poster said, if you have bags I would consider using a shuttle service, east side flat rate for hire, or uber/lyft.

shadowmeboy - great post and the rest of us locals would probably agree you've represented the city well. Glad you were able to include the locks - a favorite place for us on nice weekend days (go early) to watch the boats. A must do when we have out of town visitors. Ditto with the ferry ride though we generally go to Bremerton because if it is really clear you can see Mt. Rainier better on that route and we like to tour the Navy Destroyer, USS Turner Joy, by the ferry dock - very much (but newer) like the one my Dad served on (in Bremerton) in WW II.

shadowmeboy - great post and the rest of us locals would probably agree you've represented the city well. Glad you were able to include the locks - a favorite place for us on nice weekend days (go early) to watch the boats. A must do when we have out of town visitors. Ditto with the ferry ride though we generally go to Bremerton because if it is really clear you can see Mt. Rainier better on that route and we like to tour the Navy Destroyer, USS Turner Joy, by the ferry dock - very much (but newer) like the one my Dad served on (in Bremerton) in WW II.

thank you for your kind words. I have always loved the trip out to Bremerton, and find it to be beautiful as well. I find the Bainbridge route to be easier for those who want to experience Washington's Ferry system but not invest almost 1/2 a day, due to almost hour long runs between docks. I also love the small shops in Winslow. Either trip is a fabulous option.

Love the review and it is adding to my excitement for our trip this summer. Was the line at the Market Starbucks ridiculously long or typical cafe log.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The line is longer than a typical Starbucks, even in Seattle, due to the fact it's the original. People want to say they went to the original!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The line is longer than a typical Starbucks, even in Seattle, due to the fact it's the original. People want to say they went to the original!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm a local and I only found out a few years ago, that the Pike Place location isn't really the original. But since the first location is no longer there, I guess Pike Place gets original title by default...LOL

http://en.ilovecoffee.jp/posts/view/11

I'm a local and I only found out a few years ago, that the Pike Place location isn't really the original. But since the first location is no longer there, I guess Pike Place gets original title by default...LOL

http://en.ilovecoffee.jp/posts/view/11

That is a fair assessment, and I use the term original loosely, of course. It's just another thing to see along the Market.

When they moved it, they actually moved it (meaning the original was gone after that).

Well.... if they moved the "stuff" inside then some of the original is there, even if it isn't the original "walls".

The history part got me curious so I looked at the Wikipedia article and it has a lot more details - especially where the name came from and the only tangentially connected Moby Dick part. The article references the Starbo mine near Mt. Rainier on maps as the first inspiration for the name since they were looking for a word that started with "ST" and Starbo triggered recollection the name of the character from the book. BUT... the real mine name was the Storbo mine for Peter Storbo the owner - it was misspelled on the maps. If it had been spelled right and not caught the eye of Gordon Bowker we could all be making coffee pilgrimages to Steelhead coffee or Stadium coffee., or....St????

Well.... if they moved the "stuff" inside then some of the original is there, even if it isn't the original "walls".

The history part got me curious so I looked at the Wikipedia article and it has a lot more details - especially where the name came from and the only tangentially connected Moby Dick part. The article references the Starbo mine near Mt. Rainier on maps as the first inspiration for the name since they were looking for a word that started with "ST" and Starbo triggered recollection the name of the character from the book. BUT... the real mine name was the Storbo mine for Peter Storbo the owner - it was misspelled on the maps. If it had been spelled right and not caught the eye of Gordon Bowker we could all be making coffee pilgrimages to Steelhead coffee or Stadium coffee., or....St????

Thanks for sharing this tidbit Sequim88.