Places or things you could see/do pre/post Cruise in Seattle

shadowmeboy

Is there a port webcam to watch ships
You can see both cruise terminals from the Space Needle's cam. http://50yrcamera.spaceneedle.net/ Pier 66 (NCL, Oceania) is located three piers to the left of the large white-sided pier just north of downtown (easy to spot when a ship's there) and Pier 91 (everybody else) is located between the big grain terminal and the big yacht marina at the north (right side) end of the harbor.

Were staying a few days post cruise in September - at the Moore.

One of the things I'd like to do is to pay my respects to Bruce and Brandon Lee at Lake View Cemetery. Any idea how difficult it would be to get there from our hotel without a car?

Were staying a few days post cruise in September - at the Moore.

One of the things I'd like to do is to pay my respects to Bruce and Brandon Lee at Lake View Cemetery. Any idea how difficult it would be to get there from our hotel without a car?

Lakeview Cemetery is on Capitol Hill near Volunteer Park. You could take an Uber/lyft or metro transit. Metro bus 10 runs right by the cemetery and can be caught on pike st at 3rd Ave. you can also take light rail up to the Capitol Hill station and catch the 10 there. Bus/light rail will run you $2.75 to $3.50. Uber/Lyft $15 or so.

Lakeview Cemetery is on Capitol Hill near Volunteer Park. You could take an Uber/lyft or metro transit. Metro bus 10 runs right by the cemetery and can be caught on pike st at 3rd Ave. you can also take light rail up to the Capitol Hill station and catch the 10 there. Bus/light rail will run you $2.75 to $3.50. Uber/Lyft $15 or so.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can see both cruise terminals from the Space Needle's cam. http://50yrcamera.spaceneedle.net/ Pier 66 (NCL, Oceania) is located three piers to the left of the large white-sided pier just north of downtown (easy to spot when a ship's there) and Pier 91 (everybody else) is located between the big grain terminal and the big yacht marina at the north (right side) end of the harbor.

very nice; thank you for the link

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the great photos and suggestions!

We have all day in Seattle after finishing our cruise to sightsee - our flight back home leaves at 8pm.

Any suggestions for what we can do with our luggage while we tour around the city?

Thanks for all of the great photos and suggestions!

We have all day in Seattle after finishing our cruise to sightsee - our flight back home leaves at 8pm.

Any suggestions for what we can do with our luggage while we tour around the city?

You can store your bags at the pier until 330pm.

The Edgewater Hotel has luggage storage for non-guests. $5/bag. They are located near Pier 66. Downtown Seattle Waterfront.

Here's another option....there is a fabulous baggage service in the Sea-Tac airport near carousels 12 and 13 called Ken's. I've used it for years... the prices are reasonable and the hours are long. Store your bags, take the light rail downtown and sight see, eat, etc. as the train takes you the heart of shops, restaurants, movies and the like, then return to the airport at your leisure, perhaps after dinner, pay for your bag storage and grab and head to your flight home.

I was considering renting a car (using points) post cruise to store our luggage then drop at the airport for our 3:30 flight. (good idea? bad? thoughts??) We are 'nature people' so shopping doesn't draw our attention much but we wouldn't mind seeing a bit of the market. Is Snoqualmie Falls a reasonable option? or is there a bit of walkable waterfront area nearby the cruise terminal? With such limited time, I want to have a plan A in mind. Plan B (if it's bad weather) would be stay on the ship as long as possible then lunch and the market. We are TSA pre-check so we don't have to get to the airport crazy early. Thanks for your advise!

Here's another option....there is a fabulous baggage service in the Sea-Tac airport near carousels 12 and 13 called Ken's. I've used it for years... the prices are reasonable and the hours are long. Store your bags, take the light rail downtown and sight see, eat, etc. as the train takes you the heart of shops, restaurants, movies and the like, then return to the airport at your leisure, perhaps after dinner, pay for your bag storage and grab and head to your flight home.
For what it's worth, Ken's got bought by SmartCarte, the people who rent the luggage carts. Same location although I believe the rates have gone up.

I was considering renting a car (using points) post cruise to store our luggage then drop at the airport for our 3:30 flight. (good idea? bad? thoughts??) We are 'nature people' so shopping doesn't draw our attention much but we wouldn't mind seeing a bit of the market. Is Snoqualmie Falls a reasonable option? or is there a bit of walkable waterfront area nearby the cruise terminal? With such limited time, I want to have a plan A in mind. Plan B (if it's bad weather) would be stay on the ship as long as possible then lunch and the market. We are TSA pre-check so we don't have to get to the airport crazy early. Thanks for your advise!

Alamo/National/Enterprise (same company) have the concession for rental cars at both cruise terminals. They will shuttle you to their downtown location for actual delivery of the cars. The other major companies all have downtown offices; depending on which cruise terminal you're using a cab to most of them will probably cost between $10 and $20.

Snoqualmie Falls is a fine destination for a day trip - figure around 45 minutes from downtown Seattle, then something like 55 or 60 minutes from the falls to the airport.

Again, depending on your cruise line and terminal, you could also use the luggage storage service offered at the docks. They're open until 3 or 3:30 PM, so you could drop your bags, walk around the city etc., and come back for them before going to the airport. The Pier 66 terminal (Norwegian and Oceania) is very walkable from the Pike Place market, or if you wanted more of a fresh air break, it's maybe a 10 minute walk down the waterfront to the ferry terminal, from which you could take the ferry to Bainbridge Island (35 min.) or the West Seattle Water Taxi to West Seattle (20 min.) both of which will give you terrific views of the skyline, harbor and boats, maybe Mt. Rainier or the Olympic mountains depending on the weather, etc.

On Bainbridge you can walk from the ferry (5 min.) into the main town of Winslow and maybe have lunch at one of the view pubs/restaurants overlooking Eagle Harbor, then back to the ferry, back to the cruise terminal and off to the airport. With the water taxi, you can have a meal and/or a Bloody Mary at the very fun and funky Marination Ma Kai Hawaiian/Korean fusion cafe right on the ferry dock, maybe walk along the waterfront foot/bike path out to Alki Beach... lots of activities possible.

If your ship docks at Pier 91 (all the others) then you'd probably want to take a cab to Pier 66 and drop your bags there before doing your walkabout. Pier 91 is a couple of miles north of the central waterfront, the opposite direction from the airport, so staging your bags at Pier 66 would save time and money when you head off to the airport.

A word about precheck at SEA - LOTS of people have it and you can still run into long lines during cruise season. Just a word to the wise.

With a 330 flight, I would be hesitant to rent a car and go to Snoqualmie falls even. I would stick closer to Downtown Seattle. You would have to figure that you will need to be at the airport no later than 130pm. That means you are leaving downtown by 1245 or 1 to get to the airport.

Shoot- I had a reply in the works to Gardyloo but got distracted and it was gone when I came back! shadowmeboy answers the question I was going to ask about the Falls so I'll take them off the list of possibilities. Our rental car is free (rewards expiring just after the trip) BUT if a free rental car is just going to cost us anxiety I'll let it go. What are the down sides to the car? I'm ok with parking it to house our luggage then using it to get to the airport.

We are coming into Pier 91 and are the only ship (Legend May 8). I'm thinking that we'll take the National shuttle to their downtown location to get the car. We can drive to the waterfront (parking $3-4 hr?) then piddle around the waterfront or do the ferry/water taxi, eat lunch then head for the airport.

Thoughts? or should I ditch the car idea? Thanks!

Shoot- I had a reply in the works to Gardyloo but got distracted and it was gone when I came back! shadowmeboy answers the question I was going to ask about the Falls so I'll take them off the list of possibilities. Our rental car is free (rewards expiring just after the trip) BUT if a free rental car is just going to cost us anxiety I'll let it go. What are the down sides to the car? I'm ok with parking it to house our luggage then using it to get to the airport.

We are coming into Pier 91 and are the only ship (Legend May 8). I'm thinking that we'll take the National shuttle to their downtown location to get the car. We can drive to the waterfront (parking $3-4 hr?) then piddle around the waterfront or do the ferry/water taxi, eat lunch then head for the airport.

If it's free, the car isn't a bad idea. Saves you money you would be spending to get to the airport via a shuttle or uber. You could even with the car, go to the Ballard locks. They have great botanical gardens adjacent to the locks. Parking can be a bear in Seattle, but you have a place for your bags to go.

Since you're the only ship and it's a Monday in early May (dates matter) I'd give strong consideration to Snoqualmie Falls. Traffic won't be an issue, and it's early enough in the season, and a non-peak travel day, that the lineups at the airport shouldn't be much of a factor.

Snoqualmie Falls is terrific in the spring, and given the amount of snow and rain we've had this winter, they ought to be downright spectacular in early May - near peak conditions.

From National's office in downtown Seattle (in the garage connected by a skybridge to Macy's) you can be on I-90 in five minutes, and at the falls 35 to 40 minutes after that. Spend an hour max at the falls (visit both the high and river-level viewing areas) then head back toward the airport. If you're off the boat by 8:00 you should be at the rental car office by 9, the falls by 10, and back to the airport by noon, leaving time for lunch someplace, maybe the funky XXX drive-in in Issaquah - http://triplexrootbeer.com/ Map - https://goo.gl/maps/iBgPm6k6zGq

Alternatively, if you wanted to spend the day around town, you could pick up the car, park it or leave your bags in it while you walk to the Pike Place market, then drive out to West Seattle for a look at the skyline and beach, maybe a stop at Marination Ma Kai, then head to the Museum of Flight for an hour or two. This is a world-class museum, IMO second only to the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum in the US. The little cafe in the MoF is also quite good, with a view of Boeing Field and the comings-and-goings of private planes and the occasional 787 coming back from a test flight. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/YNyhBsQaAvP2

Ok here's a question. My flight leaves at 10:30pm. Can I use the ships luggage valet for Delta and won't see my bags until I return home? That way I can spend the day sightseeing without dragging bags. Possible; Yes or No?

Not really much help here, but... When we used Royal Caribbean luggage valet last year it was awesome. When you set your bags out the night before you don't see them again until your home airport carousel. They also have your boarding passes printed out and left in your room the night before. I think it was $25 per bag, but we stayed in a suite and it was included. Awesome service. However.... There are certain restrictions. It was only available at certain ports. Your flight had a "window". i.e. not before say 11:30 AND I believe not too late. Maybe 6-7 p.m. Didn't know Princess offered this. We were on the Caribbean Princess in August of 2014 and don't remember it being offered. Good luck. Regards, Gerry.

Ok here's a question. My flight leaves at 10:30pm. Can I use the ships luggage valet for Delta and won't see my bags until I return home? That way I can spend the day sightseeing without dragging bags. Possible; Yes or No?

I would ask this on the board for the cruise line you are sailing. Someone may have a better idea on the terms for your specific line.

thanks, I will check when we board this summer. Have a great day

I was referring to the board for your cruise line here on cruise critic. Often line specific questions are best dealt with there.

Which cruise line are you sailing?

I see several Mendenhall Glacier excursions in several ports that vary in price by $20 or so. Is there a better port to do the excursion in? I am trying not to break the bank on excursions on this trip since it is our third cruise this year.