Getting off in port

ClaudiaB

Taking our first Viking Oceans this fall to the Caribbean, where we've traveled many times before on Celebrity.

We will likely not be taking any Viking excursions - preferring to do our own thing independently. My question is, can we get off the ship as soon as it's cleared or is there a preference given to those who have purchased excursions from them?

Taking our first Viking Oceans this fall to the Caribbean, where we've traveled many times before on Celebrity.

We will likely not be taking any Viking excursions - preferring to do our own thing independently. My question is, can we get off the ship as soon as it's cleared or is there a preference given to those who have purchased excursions from them?

Since you mentioned "purchased excursions", you do realize that Viking offer a free excursion in almost all ports?

Yes I know they do and we'll look at them, but honestly I could almost give the tours in those Caribbean towns myself! Ha! And my suspicion is they are city tours and things on larger buses, or at least groups larger than we are interested in - but we won't know until close to time. I'm amazed they don't put out their excursions a year or two ahead when the itineraries are put out. I'll be happily surprised if their free excursions are unique small groups, and I will indeed look and see.

So do most people tend to take the tours that Viking has - both paid and unpaid excursions - rather than do-it-yourself/independent?

We did all the included tours on our Empires of Sea cruise in December. Primarily walking tours of the historic old towns--which was what we were interested in.

BUT--you are right--the bus tours have about 40 people on them and the walking only tours perhaps a little less. With the audiovox headset it is easy to listen but wander a bit away from the group.

I am not sure if anything in the Caribbean has an excursion you might be interested in--I know we have been on enough of them that other than doing a small group snorkel excursion, we are usually just DIY.

So do most people tend to take the tours that Viking has - both paid and unpaid excursions - rather than do-it-yourself/independent?

I can't speak for the Caribbean cruises but on the two we have done in Europe, a lot of people signed up for the tours offered by Viking, both the included and the optional. The included tours are popular because they are already included in the cruise fare. I think a lot depends on the port, where you dock in the town and what you want to accomplish while you are there.

I can't speak for the Caribbean cruises but on the two we have done in Europe, a lot of people signed up for the tours offered by Viking, both the included and the optional. The included tours are popular because they are already included in the cruise fare. I think a lot depends on the port, where you dock in the town and what you want to accomplish while you are there.

Yeah, in the Caribbean my husband often brings his clubs and plays on the good courses there (Sandy Lane in Barbados being his favorite) or we take a kayaking trip or one of the great independent snorkel trips such as Woodwind in Bonaire. There is a great company who does food tours of the islands, with perhaps only 6 participants, and those are great. We've done the city/island tours so no need for any of that. I have a feeling we're not going to be interested in a big group tour, and I know we've paid for it already, but honestly we just booked this trip to try out Viking Oceans, on a cruise that was relatively short and easy. We've loved our Celebrity cruises in Europe and the TAs have been a lot of fun, just ready for something new besides them and Azamara.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

We were on the Viking "Star" in January and did a mixture of ship's tours (both free and paid) and independent tours. I've reviewed all our tours here on this thread, under "Ports", and duplicated some under the "Excursion Review" section of CruiseCritic.

I have been on ships before where those of us on private tours had to wait for the ship's tours to disembark. Definitely did not have priority for the tenders. We learned to just get in line among the tour groups at the tender door.Usually not a problem for those times we were docked.

We did have an unusual experience this time as the "Star" was 30 minutes late coming into Tortola. She was supposed to arrive at 7:30 but didn't dock until 8 a.m. and the customs officials didn't board until 8 a.m. to clear us! When we booked a catamaran/snorkel for the day, we knew it would be tight as the cat was sailing at 8 a.m. but thought we'd have enough time since they were docked in a marina close by. We were standing in the hallway just inside security getting ready to run to meet the Aristocat. Texted the cat captain and he said they could wait until 8:15 a.m. but had passengers from another ship and couldn't delay too long.

The Cruise Director noticed us and asked if there was a problem. When we explained, he said "just a minute" and disappeared around the corner to security. He was back quickly and said we had just cleared and we could go. We were first off the ship and running/walking made it just fine. Kudos to the Cruise Director for the extra help!

The "Star" was docked and ready for us to leave the ship at the stated time the whole rest of the cruise.

30 minutes between the dock time and any tour should be fine unless the distance to the private tour is further than usual. Probably good to discuss with your tour company. I've also found even when we are docked at an unusual location they find us.

Included bus tours tours in the Caribbean have been 20-22 passengers with longish rides with photo op stops.

No problem getting off anywhere. There's been a lot of emphasis on not getting off before your tour time mostly to ensure no crowding in the ship's tour pickup area. Buses are phased arrivals based on meeting times. In all cases, from our cabin, it has been about a seven minute walk, from our aft facing cabin, to the meeting area. Perhaps a minute or two longer to the taxi area.

Cruzzzinma, to clarify, are most of the included tours in the Caribbean bus rides? Or are you saying that the included tours that are on busses long rides, but that there are other non- bus included tours in the Caribbean? Are there shuttles available through Viking to specific locations for those who want to go to a beach or into town, or is it just best to grab a taxi when the walk is too far?

We have already set up private excursions in two ports, but curious as to how that worked for a couple others we will be visiting. Thank you.

Cruzzzinma, to clarify, are most of the included tours in the Caribbean bus rides? Or are you saying that the included tours that are on busses long rides, but that there are other non- bus included tours in the Caribbean? Are there shuttles available through Viking to specific locations for those who want to go to a beach or into town, or is it just best to grab a taxi when the walk is too far?

We have already set up private excursions in two ports, but curious as to how that worked for a couple others we will be visiting. Thank you.

All the included tours in the Caribbean, except San Juan, are bus rides with photo ops - rides were probably 30-45 minutes. There were no shuttles as far as I know but taxis were available.

I think you have to treat the included excursions like any other amenity - some you use and some you don't. I didn't hear any complaints about the optional paid excursions.