$$ Issues with RCI.

918baker

Things like this is the EXACT reason we have a debit card on a bank account that is only used for vacations. For our upcoming cruise, when a payment was due or being made we pulled money out of our savings and deposited it in that account. It is impossible for any company to hit our card for an amount that is not due. Simply put, the money isn't there and the attempted charge will be denied.It is fortunate that the OP had the availability on their card. I know hindsight is 20/20 but they should have never allowed the first charge to remain. If I read correctly, it wasn't due and they just let RCI keep it anyway.

Since I would never be in this situation I guess that is why it is hard for me to be understanding. Both the TA and RCI acknowledge the charge was incorrect. I am of the opinion one of them needs to either "shirt or get off the pot" so to speak and give them their money back. They can fight it out among themselves after I am whole.

Oops, I meant to quote you in my last post :) anyway. Yes, they need to refund me. I know I canceled the card and have a new number, I have said multiple times on the recorded line and in email that I'm perfectly fine with them mailing a check directly to my house. Credit card refunds can be complicated. Just make it right.

I would like to know, eventually, who was in the wrong because I will pursue this as a legal matter as it's been so unprofessionally handled and is frankly ridiculous. If it was my TA it is a felony, if it was RCCL I'm not exactly sure how it works with giant corps but it's a big deal. I'm not going to just let it go. Someone is going to have to own up to what they did and what they continued to ignore. RCCL MUST have known that there was a double charge on the other reservation (they charged the guests on that reservation AND my card was charged on their reservation, which I found out from the TA parent company not RCCL)

Right now I'm sitting my sick butt on the couch writing packing lists of what will go in each suitcase. My mother in law arrives on Sunday, our little turns 5 a week from Friday and she wanted to be in town for his birthday. So that means she's going to pack our suitcases for meeee. Mom SOS, send in the back up because I will be having a meltdown next week if RCCL and TA parent company are still lobbing the blame back and forth.

Get RCCL to put in writing that no changes will be allowed on your reservation without written authorization from you.

And if (per your post last night) the Parent TA thinks this is a clerical error, then they should just get that little error reversed! You might ask the Parent TA if there is Errors & Omissions Insurance to cover this Clerical error?And Yes, both parties need to be giving a Goodwill Gesture (Dinner & a bottle of wine) for the stress this has caused.

Hope your son is ok and not sporting a cast!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thankfully no cast! Just a splint and then wrapped with his ring finger. Poor kid has bench mark testing today and tomorrow and can barely write his name. Thankfully he's tough as nails, he'll be okay!

Seriously. TA parent company was all sunshine and happiness and oh this is just a little mix up. Hahahaha. Go away and come back with something real. When I talk with them today, hopefully today, I will absolutely ask about Omissions and Errors insurance! Had no idea that was a thing :) I owned a very small business for a long time, corp/HR/etc is above my pay grade.

When our excursions go on sale I keep cancelling and rebooking, I need that $16 for frozen mojitos thank you very much. ;p

:( wine is your friend!

I have been so sick that I haven't even had a slice of my birthday cake! :( I told my personal trainer ALL last week that my food journal was going to be absolute crap the weekend of my birthday. I was going to eat all the things even though I have to wear bathing suits 15 days later. Instead, I've been eating soup or nothing. Sad sad sad. So unfair. I had one glass of wine at the lovely dinner party my friends had for me and now I'm too sick for wine. Who can possibly be too sick for wine? Life sucks.

Oh no!!!!!!!! I'm sure it's not possible to be tooooooo sick for wine ;)

Tell that Parent TA that if it's just a clerical error to make it right & fix it! And yes Travel Agents have insurance for errors.... sadly I have no idea if it covers fraud.

RCCL just called to tell me there was very little update...but they're calling or responding to my calls on a daily basis which is HUGE. Very happy about that. Exec CS said they expedited the charge through accounting, I assume accounting can look up what IP address the charge came from and so forth, but I am absolutely no computer whiz. Just hopeful! Once accounting does their thing we SHOULD have concrete proof of who's fault it is, TA or RCCL as they're both claiming innocence. Exec rep was horrified to hear that TA Parent company was all sunshine and rainbows on the phone with me yesterday. Ugh.

Accounting will not tell you anything. They will simply confirm whose account the funds were applied to, the cc # and if the card was handled by RCCL manually or initiated thru the TA auto system or on line. There will be no tracing IP addresses and they will not do anything but absolve themselves. I'm not sure you will get any real answers from RCCL. They do have it in their power to "reverse" the misapplied charge. I'm thinking that one of the real issues here is the other party has already sailed and are long gone. Don't be surprised if they start saying you know these people and intended to pay for their cruise :(

Very very fantastic suggestion. We have a vacations savings account but I have never thought of a vacations checking account and using it like that. My hubs loathes debit cards but he would definitely be okay with that arrangement since it's just the exact amount available. We don't take BIG vacations (where we need 4 plane tickets, hotels for longer than a few nights, etc) very often, but if we could find a checking account with low fees it may be worth it. Not sure if we can open and close checking/savings accounts every 3-4 years :'):')

Just link the debit card to the vacation savings account. Don't link it to your main account. Be sure and keep, maybe $100, in the vacation account.

Accounting will not tell you anything. They will simply confirm whose account the funds were applied to, the cc # and if the card was handled by RCCL manually or initiated thru the TA auto system or on line. There will be no tracing IP addresses and they will not do anything but absolve themselves. I'm not sure you will get any real answers from RCCL. They do have it in their power to "reverse" the misapplied charge. I'm thinking that one of the real issues here is the other party has already sailed and are long gone. Don't be surprised if they start saying you know these people and intended to pay for their cruise :(

Weelll %^&*. Is about all I have to say to that :( I just need something in writing to say that the charge was from my TA to do something on the legal side.

I have said so many times on the recorded line and in emails that there's no way that I own or are affiliated with the reservation. Ughhh. Please don't make me burn the world down :(

Just link the debit card to the vacation savings account. Don't link it to your main account. Be sure and keep, maybe $100, in the vacation account.

That's our problem, we pay our vacations savings account like a bill. It gets a small amount each pay check then eventually we get a vacation :D we would need to open a new account to use it for controlled purchases like that :)

I am devastated that when I started reading this thread an hour ago that I just knew by the time I reached the end I would get to your post about this being resolved satisfactorily. This is not okay by any means.

I pray for this situation to come to a excellent ending for you very quickly. You have more patience than I think I would have shown. Best of luck to you. I'm waiting with baited breathe on the outcome. Enjoy your cruise.

That's our problem, we pay our vacations savings account like a bill. It gets a small amount each pay check then eventually we get a vacation :D we would need to open a new account to use it for controlled purchases like that :)

I don't think so. You usually can get a debit card linked to either a savings account or a checking account. You already have the savings account so just get a debit card that is ONLY linked to that account. You can then deposit funds in the savings account as you have always done. What you do not want to do is to set up the accounts where there is overdraft protection between the savings account and your main checking account. You do not want a bill to bounce from the savings account to your main account.

Your crook of a TA will eventually claim this was nothing more than a "bookkeeping " error..... you have to wonder how many other clients she has screwed. You likely are not the first.

Like everyone here I feel certain your funds will be returned... one way or the other!

I don't think so. You usually can get a debit card linked to either a savings account or a checking account. You already have the savings account so just get a debit card that is ONLY linked to that account. You can then deposit funds in the savings account as you have always done. What you do not want to do is to set up the accounts where there is overdraft protection between the savings account and your main checking account. You do not want a bill to bounce from the savings account to your main account.

What I mean is we're constantly putting money into the account. and some vacations we use 10% of it, some vacations we use 90% of it. but there's always more money in the account than the vacation costs. There's never just say the deposit for the cruise and then there's $100 in there until the final payment is due and we add more money. :) The only way I'll get my cheap hubby to let me spend this type of money is for him to see it clearly separated from the rest of our finances. Whatever works for me to escape the desert every once in awhile! :)

What I mean is we're constantly putting money into the account. and some vacations we use 10% of it, some vacations we use 90% of it. but there's always more money in the account than the vacation costs. There's never just say the deposit for the cruise and then there's $100 in there until the final payment is due and we add more money. :) The only way I'll get my cheap hubby to let me spend this type of money is for him to see it clearly separated from the rest of our finances. Whatever works for me to escape the desert every once in awhile! :)

Understand. Just be glad you have a "cheap husband". Trust me, based upon experience, you're better off with a "cheap husband" than one who spends every nickle you have. (Like my ex-wife.)

Understand. Just be glad you have a "cheap husband". Trust me, based upon experience, you're better off with a "cheap husband" than one who spends every nickle you have. (Like my ex-wife.)

Oh yes, we're mostly on the same page with spending habits. He just grew up going on vacations like camping and fishing 45 minutes from home. I grew up going to Disney World :D;p I'm fine traveling infrequently, but we ARE going to be traveling :D thankfully he LOVES the vacations when we're on them. He will always have sticker shock though.

Oh yes, we're mostly on the same page with spending habits. He just grew up going on vacations like camping and fishing 45 minutes from home. I grew up going to Disney World :D;p I'm fine traveling infrequently, but we ARE going to be traveling :D thankfully he LOVES the vacations when we're on them. He will always have sticker shock though.

I always love hearing that others suffer the same plight as me when it comes to vacations...I grew up on the 2x a year vacation to someplace nice...he staycationed...

It's been 15 years of marriage but he is mostly come around to the realization that we will be going! Happy Wife Happy Life! [emoji7]

I'm not sure if all Banks allow you to make up a one time purchase card but my bank does. It's a great feature if buying something online. I just sign in to Online Banking and choose Use ShopSafe from my credit card Account Activity screen. Enter my spending limits and the ShopSafe service will automatically generate a temporary 16-digit account number, with expiration date and security code, that allows me to complete my purchase while protecting my privacy and accounts.

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

Edited by Psycho and Barb

I always love hearing that others suffer the same plight as me when it comes to vacations...I grew up on the 2x a year vacation to someplace nice...he staycationed...It's been 15 years of marriage but he is mostly come around to the realization that we will be going! Happy Wife Happy Life! [emoji7]

Yes! 8 years of marriage here, he's accepted that we're traveling. He'll never accept the cost... but knows we'll be paying it anyway :D he'll just grumble. and now that I've "lost" $1,400 into a black hole... hahaha he's ready to kill me. We WILL get the money back. It'll just take awhile... and possibly court... but it will happen!

I am devastated that when I started reading this thread an hour ago that I just knew by the time I reached the end I would get to your post about this being resolved satisfactorily. This is not okay by any means.I pray for this situation to come to a excellent ending for you very quickly. You have more patience than I think I would have shown. Best of luck to you. I'm waiting with baited breathe on the outcome. Enjoy your cruise.

You'd think there would be resolution by now..... but as always, I'm very hopeful for resolution this week. I have the optimism and patience of a saint, I have been incredibly nice but firm in my communications. They won't bring me down. but I will harass them until I'm buried in the ground for my money back. Hubs swears they're going to drag this out until after we sail and then someone is going to throw me overboard just to get rid of my persistent personality :'):')