Late night arrival at Heathrow.....transportation into London?

calliecat

Our flight is scheduled to arrive at 2245 and I figure we won't be able to head into London until 1230am or 1am provided everything goes smoothly. Should we go ahead and book private transportation or at that time in the early morning, is the tube running and if it is, is it safe? We are staying at the Hampton Waterloo.

Yes, the tube will be running and it will be safe. Take the Piccadilly Line to Green Park, and then the Jubilee to Waterloo. You could also do Piccadilly to Leicester Square, and the Northern Line to Waterloo.

The Heathrow Express will probably not be running by the time you get out of the airport. Last one is about 11.25.

Of course, private transportation will take you straight to the hotel, which would be a plus, but it's only 3 minutes from the station so not really a struggle to walk.

If the OP's remarkably pessimistic timing is right, the tube will have stopped running (last one out of Heathrow is around 2340), unless it's a Friday or Saturday night when the Night Tube runs all night from T5.

However, I don't think it will take the OP anything like the time they think to clear immigration and customs at that time of night. I arrived at T4 on a 2225 scheduled arrival on Friday and we sailed through an almost empty airport.

OP, which terminal, what day and flying from where?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

Don't mean to sound pessimistic, just realistic. We stood in line in customs in Miami and Chicago for considerable amounts of time so that is all I have to go on.

We fly in on a Thursday night in late August from USA. Unsure of gate. Nice to know customs and getting bags may not be so time consuming. Looking forward to this trip.

calliecat, thanks for posting this. We are also going to be getting into Heathrow at 2245, but on a Tuesday. It was very helpful to learn that we will not likely be held up long at the airport. We're flying into T3 at LHR. We are staying near the Waterloo station also.

Hope you don't mind me tacking on a question here. My concern is where we might be able to get a meal at that hour. After traveling all day I expect on the one hand that we will be very tired. But on the other hand midnight in London is our normal dinner time in the US. I don't want to have to think too much about it when we get there, so I need a plan. Any thoughts on our options to get a bite to eat?

The pubs and restaurants will be closed but all the fast food places will still be open. No doubt your hotel will be able to provide something; otherwise burgers, pizza Chinese, Indian or any other ethnicity you can think of.

If you are booking a car from LHR to your hotel, just ask the driver.