Purchasing newspapers from O while cruising

golfguyhhi

I know both the Exec and Concierge lounges on Riviera and Marina offer gratis copies of select newspapers, but does anyone know if it is possible to arrange to purchase a copy of a newspaper if you are not in a suite that includes access to these lounges?

Regent does so for $6 a day. Seems O might do the same but I find no mention of them doing so..

My recollection is that they do offer several papers for purchase. The NY Times, Wall St. Journal, and I forget what else. Suite passengers can select two of the papers free of charge which are delivered to the suite. I forget the price for non-suite occupants, however.

I seem to recall getting a notice in cabin boarding day

I think the price was $6-7

sorry MURA maybe not abridged in news portion

I do not bother with the news on vacation

a quick look at the TV news is enough for me

Edited by LHT28

The paper suite passengers receive is not abridged ... if it is, not much is left out! They are numerous pages long. I would assume people who are paying the fee are getting the same paper.

It depends on how much you want to spend. It's certainly much more comprehensive than the abbreviated four pager that everyone receives.

Mura

I have the WSJ and NYT apps on my phone and laptop as well as the local paper (Tacoma News Tribune). Those apps are all quite well designed and easy to browse the headlines and to access the full article. The NYT and WSJ seem to have everything that is in the print copy and often something more. My local paper app is a little light but I can keep up with local politics and sports.

My routine on cruises is to clear out of the cabin while my wife gets ready and go to Barristas or Horizons and get a cup of coffee and browse the news. This is not a lot different than what I do at home :).

Internet connections are usually quite good in the early morning hours and I have rarely had any trouble connecting to the internet with these apps. Note that the WSJ and NYT apps are fairly expensive (TNT is free) but we travel a lot and that spreads the cost over the year. Also note that the copies that Oceania produces are facsimiles printed on large sheets of paper and, per my recollection, not the full edition of the paper.

Anyway, I recommend consideration of the phone apps for any news junkie. Easy to use even for an old guy like me and accessible pretty much anywhere.

Robbie

Thanks All!!!

I have digital subscriptions to both NYT and WSJ. Forgot that I could use them while cruising. I just like the print version and didn't see any reason to pay the difference between a B! and A4 just to get in the Concierge lounge if I didn't need to.

Seems like I have no reason to do that now.

Just off the Sirena 21 days L.A to Papeete.

Purchased the /NYT full edition 6 days a week.Never had a problem been purchasing papers on O for last 5 cruises'.It's a full edition including adds If you prefer paper over digital it's the best.Was always delivered before 8 am

I seem to recall getting a notice in cabin boarding day

I think the price was $6-7

sorry MURA maybe not abridged in news portion

I do not bother with the news on vacation

a quick look at the TV news is enough for me

No need to apologize, Lyn! In looking at further answers below yours ...

One comment was that the paper was printed on 8x11 stock. Ours sure wasn't! It was more like 8x17 but very small print. I really needed my glasses to read ... but I could. With effort.

For all the pages we had in each paper (NYT and WSJ) I was sure it was the complete edition ... which the NYT digital version no longer seems to be! The former digital version was ...but the current one is very much abbreviated. I don't bother with it even when at home. It's a pdf version of highlights but no more than that. Perhaps I should add that as a subscriber to the print version I get digital access ... perhaps digital only subscribers get more than we print subscribers see.

Also, perhaps the digital version referred to is different from mine ... I don't use apps to my phone, digital to my computer at home.

Kindle also has subscriptions available which I really have not tried so I'm not sure how complete they are -- or how easy they are to read!

Mura

My recollection is that they do offer several papers for purchase. The NY Times, Wall St. Journal, and I forget what else. Suite passengers can select two of the papers free of charge which are delivered to the suite. I forget the price for non-suite occupants, however.

The list of papers available is in the hundreds. Just let your butler know what you are after. (We were pleasantly surprised to find that we had a choice of newspapers from our home in New Zealand).

You are entitled to 2 newspapers if you are in the Oceania Suite (or above). We typically obtain our local paper together with a paper from the region that we are visiting. This enables us to get interesting insights into the current affairs of the places that we are visiting - which is useful for initiating discussions with the locals.

If you have breakfast in your suite, the butler will deliver the papers at the same time as breakfast is served.

One comment was that the paper was printed on 8x11 stock. Ours sure wasn't! It was more like 8x17 but very small print. I really needed my glasses to read ... but I could. With effort.

Mura

Our papers were approx. A3 size (which is about 11.5" x 17") laser printed printed on photocopy paper. We had no issues with smudging, though the compressed format made it difficult to complete the cryptic crossword!

The papers are a full copy of the newspaper - adverts and all. However inserts were not included.

Despite the printed papers, we still check the news on our iPad to keep on top of breaking news as (depending on timezone) the paper delivered may be yesterdays news.

The only (first world) "problem" we had was that the weekend edition of our local paper was not delivered - which is understandable since as it is marketed under a different name. ("NZ Herald" vs "Weekend Herald")