Cabin temperature

camarowesley

On the Breeze in June on Deck 2, we found the temperature to be OK but the humidity higher than what we have in our house. We set the thermostat to the lowest setting. Normally we keep our AC in the house about 75 in the day and 72 at night. We were comfortable but glad we had a fan to move the air a little more (we have ceiling fans and like having the air move a bit). The only time we found it uncomfortably warm was on the way north when the sun was on the port side of the ship in the afternoon/evening.

On the Breeze in June on Deck 2, we found the temperature to be OK but the humidity higher than what we have in our house. We set the thermostat to the lowest setting. Normally we keep our AC in the house about 75 in the day and 72 at night. We were comfortable but glad we had a fan to move the air a little more (we have ceiling fans and like having the air move a bit). The only time we found it uncomfortably warm was on the way north when the sun was on the port side of the ship in the afternoon/evening.

Did you bring your own fan or ask the cabin steward for one?

Another cabin temp thread.

A poster on this thread should first state the summer temp of their house. If you keep your place at 68F, then the cabins will of course be warm.

Also state your geographic area. Those of us in the south deal with heat and humidity different that those in the north.

I keep my house at 74F in the summer. That and ceiling fans are fine. I am in Alabama where it is just a bit hot and humid.

I have never been to hot in my cruise room. One December cruise, the cabins were cold the first night out of Mobile.

On all our Carnival cruises its been too warm for us. I carry a room thermometer and the average daytime temperature on the coolest setting, with curtains drawn is 74 and at night if we are lucky and around 2-3am getting warmer....in the day time, I seen it at 76-77 at times. When we cruise Carnival we don't even sleep with a blanket just a sheet its way too warm for us.

On another site John Heald recently asked if your cabin temperature was acceptable. Most said it was too warm, even hot! I know room temperature is subjective, but for those of us who are tired of paying alot of money for a cabin that's to hot to sleep in, lets do something about it. This is an issue that has been ongoing for several years. Maybe if we all sent an email to adonald@carnival.com

someone would finally listen and do something about it.

Just got off the Breeze yesterday. Deck 10 Interior (these should be hot cabins if any exist as warm air rises and no balcony). But the temperature was just fine, as were the cabins on our five previous Carnival cruises. Sorry I cannot help your narrative!

• 3 months later...

We are in a balcony room on the 8th deck on the Miracle as I write this. The oddest thing happens. Every night around midnight / 1 am we wake up sweating. It doesn't even feel like the temperature has risen as much as the humidity. It is extremely uncomfortable even sleeping with no sheets. 

It's almost like they turn off the chillers and pump more outside air in. Or maybe we are at the very end of the water lines from the chillers and people are all Turning their Temps down after returning to their rooms for the night. I have the temp constantly set to its lowest setting on the "thermostat". 

It sure doesn't make for a good night's sleep. 

3 hours ago, OhhWell said:

We are in a balcony room on the 8th deck on the Miracle as I write this. The oddest thing happens. Every night around midnight / 1 am we wake up sweating. It doesn't even feel like the temperature has risen as much as the humidity. It is extremely uncomfortable even sleeping with no sheets. 

It's almost like they turn off the chillers and pump more outside air in. Or maybe we are at the very end of the water lines from the chillers and people are all Turning their Temps down after returning to their rooms for the night. I have the temp constantly set to its lowest setting on the "thermostat". 

Have you talked to anyone at Guest Services? Someone from ship's maintenance should, at the very least, be able to diagnose the problem and fix it, assuming they have the necessary replacement parts on board. Maybe it's as simple as replacing your cabin's thermostat. Or maybe a neighbor on either side of you is keeping their balcony door blocked open at night, which does affect the A/C in neighboring cabins.

3 hours ago, OhhWell said:

I suspect the "sleeping with the ocean noise" balcony crowd, who keep their balcony doors open all night long, are to blame for this.  Their opening of the balcony door robs your block of cabins of fresh air make-up, so more of your cabin air is merely recirculated, or comes from the passageway under the door, which is the exhaust air from other cabins, so the humidity will build up overnight.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

Have you talked to anyone at Guest Services? Someone from ship's maintenance should, at the very least, be able to diagnose the problem and fix it, assuming they have the necessary replacement parts on board. Maybe it's as simple as replacing your cabin's thermostat. Or maybe a neighbor on either side of you is keeping their balcony door blocked open at night, which does affect the A/C in neighboring cabins.

Yes, it is apparently functioning properly and I got a nice patronizing instruction on how to use a thermostat with a single dial... I talked to our neighbor and they had the same problem. I imagine it is likely someone (or a few people) propping their door open with a chair to get that "fresh air". 

I was on a boat once that had a sensor that would immediately shut the air handler off whenever you opened your balcony door. That should be more common in my opinion. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I suspect the "sleeping with the ocean noise" balcony crowd, who keep their balcony doors open all night long, are to blame for this.  Their opening of the balcony door robs your block of cabins of fresh air make-up, so more of your cabin air is merely recirculated, or comes from the passageway under the door, which is the exhaust air from other cabins, so the humidity will build up overnight.

It probably is something like that. I know there is no way our room is a closed system. I had a fart slip in the other day and I was the only one in the room. Sometimes we get a food smell too which is obviously preferable to the phantom fart. 

16 hours ago, OhhWell said:

It probably is something like that. I know there is no way our room is a closed system. I had a fart slip in the other day and I was the only one in the room. Sometimes we get a food smell too which is obviously preferable to the phantom fart. 

We've come across those "phantom farts" on the elevator, but thankfully not from the hallway outside of our cabin. :classic_ohmy:

21 hours ago, OhhWell said:

Yes, it is apparently functioning properly and I got a nice patronizing instruction on how to use a thermostat with a single dial... I talked to our neighbor and they had the same problem. I imagine it is likely someone (or a few people) propping their door open with a chair to get that "fresh air". 

I was on a boat once that had a sensor that would immediately shut the air handler off whenever you opened your balcony door. That should be more common in my opinion. 

The sensor that shuts off AC when the balcony door is open only shuts off the recirculation AC.  The fresh air supply, which is a common system for a whole block of cabins, is not affected by these sensors/switches, and this is the system that has a problem with balcony doors open.  This fresh air supply is supplied at a higher pressure, and when the exhaust from the cabin is changed from the small bathroom vent and the gap under the door, to the huge opening of the balcony door, this drops the pressure in that cabin, so the fresh air supply sends more air to that cabin with the door open to try to re-establish the required pressure, and therefore all the other cabins on the block get less air.  So, it really doesn't matter whether the ship has a switch on the balcony door or not.

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The sensor that shuts off AC when the balcony door is open only shuts off the recirculation AC.  The fresh air supply, which is a common system for a whole block of cabins, is not affected by these sensors/switches, and this is the system that has a problem with balcony doors open.  This fresh air supply is supplied at a higher pressure, and when the exhaust from the cabin is changed from the small bathroom vent and the gap under the door, to the huge opening of the balcony door, this drops the pressure in that cabin, so the fresh air supply sends more air to that cabin with the door open to try to re-establish the required pressure, and therefore all the other cabins on the block get less air.  So, it really doesn't matter whether the ship has a switch on the balcony door or not.

Chengkp75,

Would there also be inside cabins affected by the balcony doors being open?

I've been on a CCL cruise before in an inside cabin where we woke up covered in sweat so just curious.

Had the CCL guys come twice and stick a thermometer in the duct in the ceiling and proclaim it was within their limits so nothing they could do.

Bill

4 hours ago, S.S.Oceanlover said:

Chengkp75,

Would there also be inside cabins affected by the balcony doors being open?

I've been on a CCL cruise before in an inside cabin where we woke up covered in sweat so just curious.

Had the CCL guys come twice and stick a thermometer in the duct in the ceiling and proclaim it was within their limits so nothing they could do.

Bill

Yes, the air handler that provides outside fresh air will supply a block of cabins, typically all the cabins on one deck (sometimes two decks), in one fire zone (the area between the doors in the passageway).  AC ducting is not allowed to cross fire zone boundaries, so each zone has its own supply AC.  Some ships further break it down between the sides of the ship, one system doing port side, one starboard side.  So, a balcony door open will affect all cabins around it, whether balcony, oceanview, or inside.

As for putting a thermometer into the duct, unless they have a standard for supply air temperature (which should be around 55-60) and a standard for air flow, those measurements are pretty meaningless.  Most hotels and cruise lines follow industry standards and say that if the cabin temp is within 72-74, then there is no compensation or rectification justified.

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, the air handler that provides outside fresh air will supply a block of cabins, typically all the cabins on one deck (sometimes two decks), in one fire zone (the area between the doors in the passageway).  AC ducting is not allowed to cross fire zone boundaries, so each zone has its own supply AC.  Some ships further break it down between the sides of the ship, one system doing port side, one starboard side.  So, a balcony door open will affect all cabins around it, whether balcony, oceanview, or inside.

As for putting a thermometer into the duct, unless they have a standard for supply air temperature (which should be around 55-60) and a standard for air flow, those measurements are pretty meaningless.  Most hotels and cruise lines follow industry standards and say that if the cabin temp is within 72-74, then there is no compensation or rectification justified.

Thanks again for a thorough and understandable explanation.

It is very much appreciated.

After 2 nights waking up soaked they finally gave us a fan.

Bill

My room temperature story: 

While unpacking on my last Dream cruise, we mentioned how warm the room was. The room steward agreed and called his supervisor. My wife, the room steward and I were pretty uncomfortable when the boss arrived, she proceeded to explain the room temperature policy. She took about 20 minutes to go through the policy all the while holding a digital thermometer in her hand. She finally took a temperature and realized how hot the room was. Took three days to fix. 

BTW, I mentioned this on the complaint form and never received an acknowledgement from Carnival. Not surprised. 

28 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I cringe at the thought of writing to the CEO to complain about cabin temperature.  Who comes up with these ideas?

I've never had a cabin that was too hot.  Of course, we typically cruise in Oct/Nov and Jan/Feb, so those are cool-weather cruises.

I hope you never have to try to sleep in a cabin that is too hot.

Those people who have are the ones that come up with this stuff. I must say that it is only on CCL that I have encountered this and thankfully only once.

No I am not writing to the CEO though.

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

• 3 years later...
On 2/15/2017 at 2:49 PM, pusywillow said:

Lots of Florida residents are saying temp is fine. Your bodies are used to hotter weather, my northern body is not.

I have heard the Vista has a better cooling system that is in each room. When I sail her next month, I'll find out. I think Carnival has listened.

The newer ships Breeze and newer have individual mini air handlers. That's what those locked skinny doors are between cabins. Doors right hand side of pic usually have the mini cabin air handlers. To make a long story short  on my first Horison cruise 2018 our cabin was stuffy and my friend smelled sewage. Finally, engineer came went into litule clodet and bled 2 valvea. Voila no more poo smell and cabin got colder!20210926_162956.thumb.jpg.c8f9f3560eddbeb4e0417a852027b754.jpg

Edited by zippyjet
correct spelling font size