Drastic price differences... Need your thoughts please

BermudaBound2014

I'm starting to put together our Norway trip. I found a Fabulous itinerary from the MSC brochure which gives the price in pounds. Same cruise in US dollars us 250% more :(

Base cost in pounds - 1,249

Base cost in US dollars - 3,199

Those of you who follow MSC, any ideas why this would be? What am I not understanding?

Here is the cruise I'm referring to

f00995aea7206dede742ed3a91f416e6.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Thank you. I Just looked up the sign; its pounds and I changed my post to reflect pounds (not euro). That still seems off.

I just did a conversion. 1,249 pounds equals $1,555 U.S. Dollars (not anywhere near $3,199 that is showing on US websites)

Does the US website price include airfare? I'm very intrigued in this itinerary. It's perfect for what my daughter has been wanting to do, and it fits her schooling schedule! But I'm not sure I want to pay $3199 pp for an inside. I'll check into this tomorrow (today, lol!)

MSC prices fluctuate from country to country. They seem to target different markets for different ships. I've seen huge price differences between UK and Ireland and the Irish have to phone and book through MSC's office in UK if not using a TA - we can't book online but we still can't avail of promotions being run in the UK.

Also, the special offers in the US for Divina are not available here, either.

MSC prices fluctuate from country to country. They seem to target different markets for different ships. I've seen huge price differences between UK and Ireland and the Irish have to phone and book through MSC's office in UK if not using a TA - we can't book online but we still can't avail of promotions being run in the UK.

Are you allowed to book the cruise using UK TA if you have Irish nationality ?

Have you done this before ? Will MSC make problems when you get on the ship ? Deny boarding ?

I have read about people getting denied because they have not booked the cruise in their own country (where they are residents) Not sure if this is true. Maybe it also depends on the cruiseline. I know Princess does not allow you to book in another country.

Are you allowed to book the cruise using UK TA if you have Irish nationality ?

Only if you live in UK

Have you done this before ?

No, I've only ever booked with a TA in Ireland or direct with MSC.

Will MSC make problems when you get on the ship ? Deny boarding ?

I don't know - maybe someone else can answer that.

I have read about people getting denied because they have not booked the cruise in their own country (where they are residents) Not sure if this is true. Maybe it also depends on the cruiseline. I know Princess does not allow you to book in another country.

I haven't heard of anyone being denied boarding and don't know of anyone making a booking in a country outside of their own so I can't say how MSC would deal with this.

I wonder why MSC doesn't like Irish passengers. I couldnt even get a price from the Irish website or any Irish TA,s for a cruise I want to go on this summer. They all say sold out. Then I booked it using USA TA very easily and even got kids free promo. I'm seeing the same thing with NCL, I used to get very reasonable prices using the generic .eu website for all Europe. Now that they have a dedicated Irish website, the prices have skyrocketed.

Maybe we are perceived as stingy once on board, maybe they want more people who might gamble, who knows?

Thanks for the replies so far. I do understand (and expect) different marketing and price points, but nearly 250% difference seems absurd.

For those of you who have booked through different nations, can you tell me if the price difference was this much? In other words, did you save 250% by booking through a foreign site?

Thanks again, interesting conversation so fAr :)

Taking into account similiar cruises I priced, I would say it was about half the price to book through the US site. However cruises seem to change prices so much and offers come and go. Finding the best price doesn't seem to be an exact science. And even once you book you need to keep on top of new offers to see if you can apply them. It's frustrating.I usually book cruises about 3 months out if I can find a good deal. That works if you're flexible. This time I have a big birthday to celebrate so I wanted to lock down my cruise so I could get excited about it. I'm booked on the Meraviglia too by the way, but a less exciting route, the cruise you are looking at looks very interesting.

Its funny though, I always find the US prices cheaper than the UK ones.

Thanks for the replies so far. I do understand (and expect) different marketing and price points, but nearly 250% difference seems absurd.

For those of you who have booked through different nations, can you tell me if the price difference was this much? In other words, did you save 250% by booking through a foreign site?

Thanks again, interesting conversation so fAr :)

Not only do you get variations in regions but on the same cruise boarding at different ports

I priced up a Western med circuit. the route being Genoa, St. Tropez, Palma, Mahon, Olbia, Salerno Genoa

To sail Salerno to Salerno on 27 Oct to 3 Nov was 1998pp in an balcony cabin

To do the same cruise Genoa to Genoa 28th Oct to 4th Nov ie just one day later was £449pp.

A whopping 450% difference for the same cruise, it defied logic

What I had to do was get on in Genoa and off at Salerno as the dates I could have as leave wasn't allowed to include 4th Nov.

I had to pay for the whole 7 nights, ( no discount was allowed) but it still saved me over £3000.

MSC pricing is a complete mystery

Pete

Thanks Pete! Now I know it's not just me :).

I do think that it's ridiculous to have such huge swings in pricing. Some differences, sure. But Pete and I have both found differences at nearly $1,500 pp depending on where you book. IMO that's really bad business on MSC part. Makes it seem like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Of course, those of us who have sailed MSC know that quite often the left and right hand aren't even on the came continent with MSC. Sure, all cruise lines have communication problems (NCL Star is having a massive issue right now); and there are cruise lines that have terrible web sites (RCL comes to mind); but MSC takes it to a whole new level.

In fairness to MSC, I think there are more language barriers between different departments. This makes communication much more challenging. As a result, MSC comes off as more incompetent than they really are.

MSC, if you are listening: Price swings of 450% are ridiculous. Oversights like this make customers apprehensive. Please fix your pricing structure.

Hi guys I am from Ireland. I check the price of the cruise & which ever one is cheaper determine if I book through my TA in the UK (a well known one who has their own channel on Sky) an Irish travel agent or direct with MSC (they have a number for Irish guests) as an EU citizen their is no issue with booking with any other EU country this is a consumer right in the EU and is against the law to do so, Euro Disney got in trouble a few years ago for exclusively giving French customers a discount but no other EU customers.

Now MSC can charge what they like for their product in each country, which is fine as long as they don't prohibit customers from buying it from a different country. It's OK to make it as difficult as they can but it is doable i.e. UK/Irish TA.

In regards to availability they designate blocks of cabins to different countries so your cabin allocation maybe used while another country's may still have availability.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Hello everyone! It's my first post on this great forum:), although I've been reading it almost everyday since we've booked our first cruise for the beginning of April on MSC Divina.

We've also noticed a huge price difference between Belgium and France. Initially we had an offer from a TA in France for a YC Deluxe Suite at almost 4000€ and then I entered MSC website Belgium and booked an YC Executive Family Suite ( more expensive than Deluxe) with 3500€. The offer for the exactly same suite in France was with 1800 € more expensive.....I was worried at the beginning as we had already paid the advanced amount. I think, as someone said here, it depends on the country and different markets. I don't know if I could have booked on the Italian MSC website (where it is even cheaper) as it is blocked for IT residents. I think it all depends where you have the residence.