windbreaker and rain jackets?

hlsess

waterproof, of course. If there's a downpour in the middle of your excursion you don't want to spend the next 3 hrs soaking wet and cold .

But lightweight, not a bulky winter coat. You don't have to invest in an expensive name brand .... Dri Ducks or similar are under $30. Google amazon for waterproof jackets,

Summer weather along the coast can be 75 and sunny, or 45 with heavy rain and wind.The layer under your jacket is for warmth .... a fleece, hoody, sweatshirt, pullover, or something similar.

Take a small daypack to carry layers .... if the day warms up you have somewhere to store your jacket, or if it turns ugly you'll have a jacket to wear..

Do a search on the words 'clothes' or ' packing' and you'll find numerous threads on what to wear. Also, look at past trip reports and to see what people are wearing.

p.s. if you're doing something like fishing or hiking you might want to get rainpants.

We use a fleece vest under our rain jacket. We also take rain pants. We don't hike or fish but they came in handy on a whale watch on a small boat, just general walking on excursions, and the day at Hubbard Glacier when it was raining and/or sleeting. Gloves and a fleece headband also came in handy and our jackets have hoods on them.

I wore a fleece-lined waterproof jacket; but I'm always cold so the fleece lining was never too much for me. My son, who is more warm-blooded, wore a light LLBean rain jacket over a t-shirt. When cold, he added a hoodie sweatshirt under the rain jacket. When it got darn cold, he added scarf, hat, and gloves. My best advice is to waterproof your shoes (we used spray scotchguard) and invest in good quality hiking socks. When your feet stay dry and warm, everything seems better. :)

I will for sure have my Frogg Toggs rain suit with. It was very reasonably priced and kept me dry in a day of pouring rain fishing on Lake of the Woods. Generally rain in Alaska will be on the light side (drippy or heavy mist) so I take what I wear where I live - Columbia Sportswear 3-way nylon water resistant jacket with fleece liner. Wind resistance out on ship deck when underway is good to have too.

I'm from Arizona. We don't generally own rain jackets. Nor do I really know how to shop for them. So I took one of those plastic rain ponchos. Totally tacky-looking and un-Alaskan. But it kept my torso and daypack dry on some VERY wet hikes. I used a thicker, higher-quality plastic poncho, not a tiny emergency one, but I've done other rainy hikes in the cheap emergency variety, and they really help. Beauty is as beauty does.

My problem with "resistant" is that it isn't clear to what degree of wetness it is resistant to...

Nor do you know to what degree you will experience wetness - misting or downpour.

And resistant usually means things like the zipper is exposed.

I think it is wise to invest in a waterproof jacket.

Keith

Last year our third Alaska cruise we were more prepared then previously. Waterproof jacket that was lite weight and for other days a packaway compressed jacket that has a wee pocket bag to fit into. I have never needed water proof trousers but Craghoppper lined trousers that are for me a must to keep me cozy.

I think as others will agree layers are the key here. You can add to and take off where required and a wee lite weight back pack for storage. Oh a hat scarf and gloves are essentials well for me a necessity. Have a great cruise. Jean.

Last year our third Alaska cruise we were more prepared then previously. Waterproof jacket that was lite weight and for other days a packaway compressed jacket that has a wee pocket bag to fit into. I have never needed water proof trousers but Craghoppper lined trousers that are for me a must to keep me cozy.

I think as others will agree layers are the key here. You can add to and take off where required and a wee lite weight back pack for storage. Oh a hat scarf and gloves are essentials well for me a necessity. Have a great cruise. Jean.

What type of waterproof jacket did you have and where do you find craghopper trousers? thanks

What type of waterproof jacket did you have and where do you find craghopper trousers? thanks

Hi just check the Craghoppers web site. You have just missed their sale. Both jackets and the trousers are from them. Where we live in north east Scotland we get daily use of clothing like this in winter months. They also do excellent lite weight trousers and mosquitoes repellent clothing too. I have a lot of their jackets for every day use. But I know lots of companies do similar clothes, but that's what we have worn for years. You can get all four season in one day in Alaska just like here in Scotland so being prepared is key, Jean.

I'm from Arizona. We don't generally own rain jackets. Nor do I really know how to shop for them. So I took one of those plastic rain ponchos. Totally tacky-looking and un-Alaskan. But it kept my torso and daypack dry on some VERY wet hikes. I used a thicker, higher-quality plastic poncho, not a tiny emergency one, but I've done other rainy hikes in the cheap emergency variety, and they really help. Beauty is as beauty does.

I'm with you. I see no reason to buy an expensive waterproof jacket that I don't need in my normal life just because I may get rained on in Alaska. I plan on taking my normal water resistant jacket that I wear here in Ohio, and have a plastic rain poncho in my day bag in case I get caught in an Alaskan downpour.