Advice needed for multiple consecutive sailings

I'm considering traveling for 4 months and would like to take different itineraries. I'm ok with switching ships and cruise lines. I would start after May 2018 and would like to factor in a TA as well as the Caribbean.

If you've something similar..

1. Did you set a budget per cruise?

2. How did you go about getting a good price on the cruise considering last minute deals are not possible?

3. Did you start in the U.S. or Europe?

Thank you

If you're planning a TA, then your choices of times are limited. Only Cunard has regularly scheduled trans-atlantics. Those only sail between NYC and Southhampton. Most of the other cruise lines move in unison. They will move their ships from the Caribbean to the Med/Europe in April. They will move them back in October.

IOW, unless you want to sail Cunard, and you want to sail after May, then you'll have to schedule Med/Europe sailings in late summer and pick up a Trans-Atlantic in October.

You should also note that most of the lines, exceptions are RCI and CCL, do not do Caribbean sailings between April and October.

Search for and read a review by a poster named Raina - she did something similar.

1. An overall budget probably makes more sense.

2. You have to do a lot of searching.

3. You won't have much choice if you start then (May) - all of the Eastbouind TAs will be gone and only a Westbouind TA will be available in the fall - so you'll have to start in Europe.

Be advised - budget wise, that will be the most expensive time of the year to do something like that. For lower costs, you could start in September and end in Dec - lots of Caribbean ones are good deals then.

If in Europe, you also have the option of a land tour (or two) and doing a river cruise.

I followed a blog of someone who did the TA over, mixed up her options, including a land tour of Italy, onto a river cruise, then the Baltics, to another land tour of England, Ireland and Scotland, and did a TA back.

If single, you will have single supplement costs to consider.

Pack lightly (more or less 7 days worth) and plan to do laundry. Most bus tours restrict you to one bag.

Most we did at one time, was our March 2014 trip to Sydney, Australia, which included a 2 day pre stay in Sydney, 13 day NZ followed by 9 days post cruise in Sydney, two all day trips, then continuing on with the 18 day Transpacific to Honolulu and 12 day Hawaii to Seattle, a total of 54 days.

Most we did at one time, was our March 2014 trip to Sydney, Australia, which included a 2 day pre stay in Sydney, 13 day NZ followed by 9 days post cruise in Sydney, two all day trips, then continuing on with the 18 day Transpacific to Honolulu and 12 day Hawaii to Seattle, a total of 54 days.

May I email you?

We did an 83 day trip to Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific once. Flew to Sydney and did the 33 day Australia Circumnavigation on Radiance. This was 2 cruises b2b. Then we did about 3.5 weeks on land exploring Eastern Australia. Flights within Australia are relatively inexpensive so we flew from Sydney - Tasmania - Melbourne - Cairns - Brisbane - Sydney. Then we boarded Celebrity Solstice for a 29 day transpacific back to North America. This was also 2 cruises b2b. The entire trip including cruises, air and ground transportation, tours, lodging, food, etc. cost us about $25K for 2 people. This was in 2014 so a few years ago. We were frugal but splurged when we felt like it.

It was a great trip. We did get a little homesick towards the end. We have decided that in the future 2 months should be our maximum.

We booked the cruises early and the prices only climbed from there. We find the best prices for desirable itineraries are right after the cruises are released.

Here is a little blog about our adventure if you are interested:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9k52rpgkczh3pgh/Australia%20Mega%20Trip%202014.pdf?dl=0

Thanks everyone

Yes I'll be traveling solo. I enjoy the cooler temperatures so starting in September may work best.

Have you considered doing an around the world cruise on one ship? I priced the MSC Magnifica, 118 nights. (Can be booked in segments.) It has a wonderful itinerary. Base rate for single inside is $26514. Sure would be easier to plan, if you're only booking one ship. Cunard, Princess and other lines also have extended cruises.