philadelphia to new york

bermudagal56

Cruising on the Gem out of manhattan. we are coming from the Philadelphia area. Can anyone recommend a reasonable place to park our car on the jersey side on the way up and then a ride service to the pier?

OR

a reasonable hotel suggestion for the night before along our route on the jersey turnpike (don't want to go out of our way too much off the turnpike) that would offer parking there while on the cruise and ride service to the pier?

When are you sailing on the GEM? # of people & beds needed - it's a relatively short drive from Phila to NYC so an overnight isn't necessary unless ...

Parking & round-trip transfer from nearby NJ hotels to port will likely be as much as, if not more, than parking directly on top of the pier (rooftop parking) - especially with a 25% discount.

You can park at the NY Waterway's Port Imperial ferry terminal in Weehawken and then take the short ferry ride across the Hudson River to the W39th St. ferry terminal. From there it's about a half mile walk to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, or just a short taxi ride if you can't or don't want to do the walk.

Ferry fare is $9 per adult in each direction. Parking at Port Imperial is $16 per day.

http://www.nywaterway.com/PortImperialWeehawkenRoute.aspx

http://www.nywaterway.com/IndoorParkingGarage.aspx

We drive into NY from Central NJ and just park at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. We find the convenience of parking at the cruise pier to be worth the extra expense.

It doesn't make sense to stay at a hotel in NJ when you live as close to the cruise terminal as you do.

The OP is on a 7 day Gem cruise Sat-Sat. Discounted pier parking would be $210 plus $15 tunnel toll. Port Imperial parking would be $112 plus $36 in ferry fares. Either strategy would be more economical than a plan involving a pre cruise hotel.

And you could just take a train from Philly to NYC and leave the automobile at home.

If there are more than 2 of them, the train will cost more. I just spent $135 on dd20's round trip to Boston, only because I don't want her making the 8 hour round trip in her 14 year old vehicle by herself, but it's such an easy drive from Philadelphia to NYC (or NJ).

If there are more than 2 of them, the train will cost more. I just spent $135 on dd20's round trip to Boston, only because I don't want her making the 8 hour round trip in her 14 year old vehicle by herself, but it's such an easy drive from Philadelphia to NYC (or NJ).

The OP is asking about NYC not Boston. So the price to travel to Boston is not relevant.

Just did a quick price check on Amtrak and it looks like about $40 from Philly to NYC each way. (random date used). So assuming they are starting in Philly about $80 RT per person could be cheaper than gas, tolls and parking driving up to the city.

How do you get a discounted rate for the pier parking??

Thanks

Janet:cool:

The OP is on a 7 day Gem cruise Sat-Sat. Discounted pier parking would be $210 plus $15 tunnel toll. Port Imperial parking would be $112 plus $36 in ferry fares. Either strategy would be more economical than a plan involving a pre cruise hotel.

Although the coupon doesn't have an expiration date printed on it, I wonder if they'll continue to honor something that says "Summer Sale", in large type. The cruise terminal's parking information page no longer has a discount coupon, so they could argue that this coupon is invalid.

The OP is asking about NYC not Boston. So the price to travel to Boston is not relevant.

Just did a quick price check on Amtrak and it looks like about $40 from Philly to NYC each way. (random date used). So assuming they are starting in Philly about $80 RT per person could be cheaper than gas, tolls and parking driving up to the city.

My Boston reference was that the fare was worth it because the drive to Boston is usually more than twice that of driving to NYC from Philadelphia. Like I said, if they have more than two in their party, driving is cheaper (realizing a cheap ticket is $39 each way).

Cruising on the Gem out of manhattan. we are coming from the Philadelphia area. Can anyone recommend a reasonable place to park our car on the jersey side on the way up and then a ride service to the pier?

OR

a reasonable hotel suggestion for the night before along our route on the jersey turnpike (don't want to go out of our way too much off the turnpike) that would offer parking there while on the cruise and ride service to the pier?

Bermudagal,

Check out Hilton Garden Inn at Ridgefield Park NJ. Hotel stay, transportation to and from in private car service, indoor pool, hot breakfast and parking for the week. Some people like the convenience of some one else to drive in NYC for them (I am one of them). And on the other hand there will be some that dont think that it is worth the money. But when we did it for the October 2016 cruise we paid $220 for the park and cruise package and to me, it was so worth it. We came up early and relaxed and didnt worry if there was a shut down or prob on the highway on the way up. We come from Delaware and have been to this hotel 2 times and have it booked for a 3rd time Sept 2017. Clean and convenient.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I bud in with a question for Ricanicole? I am also from Philly and was wondering the best way to get into NYC for a cruise. A little scary to take Amtrak the morning of, because I have (more than once) experiened delays. So your idea with the Park and Ride at the Hilton Garden is a good one. My question is this: how do you usually get back to the hotel after the cruise?

I learned of Dave's Limo service from these boards. They pick you up in a van at your home in Philly and return you for about 140 roundtrip. I had to be ready early because they pick up others who are on your cruise. I liked that i didn't have to get off Amtrak then take a cab. It was cheaper and easier.I used them twice and was pleased with the service.

Edited by BATTay
To add pertinent information

Ricanicole-- I also like the convenience of being dropped off! I decided to book the park and cruise with Hilton garden for $219. I think its worth it. They also pick you up after the cruise. I don't want to drive into ny and I don't want to take any chances of train delays or any traffic jams.

Can I bud in with a question for Ricanicole? I am also from Philly and was wondering the best way to get into NYC for a cruise. A little scary to take Amtrak the morning of, because I have (more than once) experiened delays. So your idea with the Park and Ride at the Hilton Garden is a good one. My question is this: how do you usually get back to the hotel after the cruise?

The car company picks you up at the terminal. They will give you a number to call when you come through customs and a car will pick you up abd bring you right back to the front door of the hotel.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Ricanicole-- I also like the convenience of being dropped off! I decided to book the park and cruise with Hilton garden for $219. I think its worth it. They also pick you up after the cruise. I don't want to drive into ny and I don't want to take any chances of train delays or any traffic jams.

Thats awesome! So glad to hear you booked it. And the price is the best! Less then the pier for the week and YOU dont have the headache of driving into the city! Hope you enjoy it as much as we have.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app