CD Steve Knisley - any reviews?

Honolulu Blue

It looks like I will have the pleasure of having this gentleman as my cruise director on my upcoming cruise. Has anyone sailed with him? What did he do that you liked? What didn't you like about him? Did you remember him at all? :(

All comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

We had him for 14 days last year on the Pride. He was very nice, and when we were in Grand Turk he and a bunch of the Playlist cast sat with us at Jack's Shack. They were all very friendly and we had a great day. Of the CDs I have had on cruises, he is one of the few I remember (along with Emma, Matt, and Wee Jimmy)! He was out and about on the ship, and I do not remember him making a lot of annoying announcements.

Had Steve last year 23-30 October on Pride. I thought he did a good job. I saw him out and about on the deckplates all the time. And he seemed to have a singular talent for quickly changing clothes in order to be sartorially appropriate for whatever activity he was leading (ex. he was in a tux on Elegant Night overseeing the Captain's Reception, and then a bit later that night he was in shorts and flip flops leading the 80's Dance Party on the Lido!). He did a good job hosting events, not getting too corny or punny, but still being funny. The only thing I can fault him for is that he didn't do a very good job of training and overseeing his assistants. They were invariably bad, whether trying (and failing) to call Bingo or administering trivia contests. Overall, you can do worse than having Steve as your CD.

The only thing I can fault him for is that he didn't do a very good job of training and overseeing his assistants. They were invariably bad, whether trying (and failing) to call Bingo or administering trivia contests.

We were also on the Pride from Oct. 23-30 with Steve as our CD.

I totally agree with Swodog about the quality of his assistants. They were simply abysmal! And that falls squarely on Steve's shoulders. While he wasn't terrible, I will say that he was probably the least effective CD I've had on over a dozen cruises on 5 different cruise lines.

We were also on the Pride from Oct. 23-30 with Steve as our CD.

I totally agree with Swodog about the quality of his assistants. They were simply abysmal! And that falls squarely on Steve's shoulders. While he wasn't terrible, I will say that he was probably the least effective CD I've had on over a dozen cruises on 5 different cruise lines.

If the ship has an entertainment director, the ED is responsible for those duties.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Had Steve last year 23-30 October on Pride. I thought he did a good job. I saw him out and about on the deckplates all the time. And he seemed to have a singular talent for quickly changing clothes in order to be sartorially appropriate for whatever activity he was leading (ex. he was in a tux on Elegant Night overseeing the Captain's Reception, and then a bit later that night he was in shorts and flip flops leading the 80's Dance Party on the Lido!). He did a good job hosting events, not getting too corny or punny, but still being funny. The only thing I can fault him for is that he didn't do a very good job of training and overseeing his assistants. They were invariably bad, whether trying (and failing) to call Bingo or administering trivia contests. Overall, you can do worse than having Steve as your CD.

That's funny that you mention that, because when we were on the Dream (while Steve was the Cruise Director, and this was before Entertainment Directors) we went to a Trivia contest and the host was doing it completely wrong. It was a true/false kind of thing and he had all the answers backwards. He almost had a temper tantrum when people were telling him he had the answers backwards. :') It was pretty weird.

• 3 weeks later...

I've finished my cruise with Steve, and I wanted to add an addendum to this. He seemed very comfortable as a cruise director in its various roles. He (mostly) didn't make many announcements. None of the entertainment staff that I encountered were notably incompetent - not that I had many interactions with them. I liked him; I'm surprised he doesn't have a bigger fan club here.

I thought he was mature and unobtrusive, unlike some CDs. No weird hairstyle or clothes. Not many overhead announcements. First one was usually 10am. If you want a CD who is a 'personality' and entertainer in his own right, Steve is not your guy. EM

Steve was the CD on our Journey's cruise Jan. 2nd.

He was friendly enough, was nearly always on the go and seemed to be involved.

We followed him and the Fun Crew around on a bar crawl the first night of the cruise, and we had great time with him. :D

It's not an easy job, and I think he did fine.

I've finished my cruise with Steve, and I wanted to add an addendum to this. He seemed very comfortable as a cruise director in its various roles. He (mostly) didn't make many announcements. None of the entertainment staff that I encountered were notably incompetent - not that I had many interactions with them. I liked him; I'm surprised he doesn't have a bigger fan club here.

I thought he was mature and unobtrusive, unlike some CDs. No weird hairstyle or clothes. Not many overhead announcements. First one was usually 10am. If you want a CD who is a 'personality' and entertainer in his own right, Steve is not your guy. EM

I agree completely with the above assessments. Just wanted to add that he is very approachable, and always willing to talk and take photos with you.