Are some Fantasy-class portholes better than others?

iheartmarshall

Thinking of booking a cruise on the Ecstasy and would like to try a porthole cabin. I know there's obvious issues with PTs (more motion, sounds, etc. -- I'm aware of all of this) but I'm wondering if some PT cabin locations are better than others? For example, I want to think that R28/R31 would be more "calm" of a room since it's the lowest and furthest back of the PTs, versus E2/E1 being all the way forward and near the anchor. So any thoughts/comments? Or are they all basically the same? Thanks for input!

All of the porthole rooms are subject to wave an anchor noise. On some cruises, we have heard nothing. However, if you look at the deck plans of Fantasy class ships you see that as the hallway angles toward the center of the ship some porthole cabins appear larger than others. In reality, they are.

We have had M22/M24/M30 (last 3 cabins on port side on main deck) before. M22 had the largest "box" or "ledge" of the 3 cabins... big enough that our 10 year old child wanted to sleep in it. M24 had almost no box or ledge at all. M30's box or ledge was about half the size of M22.

I think all of the PT/5A cabins on fantasy class ships are the same size... they are all mass produced modular units, and the different spacing that creates the "box" or "ledge" has to do with the length of distance from the common hallway where the specific cabin starts to the actual side of the ship.

You are not going to be able to discern if a cabin is "calmer" than the one two or three doors down.

True, but I am just curious if there really is a difference before we book. So far we've stayed in a bottom midship OV and an aft balcony and did notice a difference. I know what to expect with a forward cabin; I just didn't know if it really made a difference if you're the lowest/furthest back PT versus the highest/most forward one.

We had the very first porthole cabin on the Empress deck on the Fascination. I am 5'2" and was able to comfortably sit in the box. It was vert quiet there - not even any noise from the main theater. Now, the motion was awful, but you weren't asking about that....

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

We have had M22/M24/M30 (last 3 cabins on port side on main deck) before. M22 had the largest "box" or "ledge" of the 3 cabins... big enough that our 10 year old child wanted to sleep in it. M24 had almost no box or ledge at all. M30's box or ledge was about half the size of M22.

I think all of the PT/5A cabins on fantasy class ships are the same size... they are all mass produced modular units, and the different spacing that creates the "box" or "ledge" has to do with the length of distance from the common hallway where the specific cabin starts to the actual side of the ship.

They are definitely not all the same size, see my previous post! I have compared them on many of my 88 Carnival cruisers

We are just off the Ecstasy, stayed in M29 and have no complaints. Could hear the anchor, but it wasn't too loud. Some motion, but no more than I felt anywhere else on the ship (one night was particularly rough.) Cabin felt the same size as any other OV we have stayed in on this class of ship. Windowsill was large enough to sit on and look out, and made a nice storage space for our towel animals. My husband and I both slept like a log on the mattress, not too hard and not too soft. Great steward who pouted at first when I asked for both morning and night service but provided both and got an extra tip :)

We saved a total of $300 by booking this cabin instead of an OV. I would book it again in a heartbeat if the price difference justified it.

I have only been on 4 cruises. 2 midship, 1 aft and 1 forward. I got motion sick only on the forward one. It might have been something else, but I will not chance booking a forward cabin again. We have another aft booked in November. I think we are hooked on extended aft balconies and aft wraps now.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

• 1 year later...
On 2/24/2017 at 9:58 PM, NavarreCruiser said:

They are definitely not all the same size, see my previous post! I have compared them on many of my 88 Carnival cruisers

Any thoughts in size between M11 and M29 on Paradise (or Fantasy class). I have 11 and debating about switching to 29 since its more center (maybe less noise?).

We stayed in E8 on the Fascination and really enjoyed it. I wanted to be up as high as we could be for a porthole, to eliminate any possible disturbance from the anchors. And honestly, I don’t recall them ever being an issue. Also, if you look at the deck maps, this room appears to be slightly bigger than the others due to the position of the room. I would definitely book this room again.