First time to Alaska - considering NCL

monu58

Hello all,

We are considering a semi last minute cruise to Alaska; This will a first time for all travellers to Alaska and we had a few questions.

1) We are considering either the Norwegian Jewel or Pearl leaving in late July. Is there a preference to either ship? Is there a better travel path for either ship? It seems that the ports are the same, however based on travel maps, it seems that the Jewel goes out into the ocean more.

2) We are approx 9 ppl between ages 2 - 65; Are there things to do for ppl of all ages. Will we have a hard time with the toddler; Can we do any excursions with the baby?

3) Looking at the ports, it seems the Pearl also goes to Glacier Bay and the Jewel doesn't - Should I simply rule out the Jewel since it doesn't do this attraction?

Any other input would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance

If and when I do another Alaska Cruise I will be taking Holland America. I prefer for there to be pools I can swim in and on NCL to Alaska they are all closed because they are outdoors. On Holland they can be covered so that you can still enjoy the pool deck and use lounge chairs without being cold.

That is just my personal opinion though. I do also encourage a balcony room as well, didn't want to feel crowded with everyone on the lido watching the iceburgs as you cruise into the glacier, it was nice to crack open a bottle of wine and celebrate it from my own balcony for pictures and not having others bumping into me

If and when I do another Alaska Cruise I will be taking Holland America. I prefer for there to be pools I can swim in and on NCL to Alaska they are all closed because they are outdoors. On Holland they can be covered so that you can still enjoy the pool deck and use lounge chairs without being cold.

That is just my personal opinion though. I do also encourage a balcony room as well, didn't want to feel crowded with everyone on the lido watching the iceburgs as you cruise into the glacier, it was nice to crack open a bottle of wine and celebrate it from my own balcony for pictures and not having others bumping into me

Thanks for the tips. I didn't think of the pools being closed. I will have to research HCL cruises as well.

Balcony rooms are likely out of the question due to costs. We will either do inside or port window depending on prices.

When we took the Jewel to Alaska in May 2015 the pool was open (they had it heated). I wasn't brave enough to try it, though!

Cruising Glacier Bay was one of the most moving experiences of my life. I have never been anywhere so beautiful and peaceful. So to me Glacier Bay is an absolute must! It's a quiet, meditative day at sea...plus there's mulled wine and special pastries ;)

Edited to add: I forgot to mention they open up the very bow of the ship on Glacier Bay Day so you can go out early and get a front row "seat." If you don't want to stay out there and only want a photo op they partition off a little section so you can go and get unobstructed pictures quick.

With Tracy Arm, it's of significant benefit to purchase the add on ship tour. Grossly superior compared to the cruise ship sailing. If on the cruise ship, you must be accepting of no or very distant glacier viewing.

I suggest you find out more about the details of touring Alaska, before you jump into a booking. Frankly, tours are 50% of the trip. Make sure what you are going to Alaska for is available.

Not sure, with your "last minute" mention but in July this is a pretty popular sailing with some weeks selling out and prices going up and up. :) Occasionally - last minute, meaning days/a few weeks ahead can offer price dumps. But unknown when.

I suggest you find out more about the details of touring Alaska, before you jump into a booking...

I have to second this.

The differences between the two ships -- Jewel and Pearl -- are insignificant. The two itineraries selections though, Glacier Bay versus Tracy Arm can make all the difference.

You need to research these a bit more before you book. Tracy Arm is like sailing into a fjord with glacier viewing toward the end. Glacier Bay is sailing into a vast bay with many opportunities for glacier viewing, including the magnificent Margerie Glacier.

The rest of the ports, however, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Victoria are included in both itineraries with the differences being time of day in port (for the most part). Most of the tours/excursions offered in each port would be available from both ships, with some exceptions of course.

Select a cruise to Alaska based on its itinerary. Don't give too much thought to the ship. Each will offer similar enough amenities. Book for itinerary, followed by price.

Been to AK three times now all on NCL - never seen the pools closed - they may be cold but they were open - so were all of the hot tubs.

As for the Jewel vs Pearl the ships are similar and both are good. One thing about AK is that the cruise is all about the scenery and ports and less about the ship itself - ie don't worry about the pools - that is why we tend to call them see days.

Travel routes - both ships (and all ships that leave from Seattle) travel on the outside of Vancouver Island both leaving and returning. They enter the protected waters of the inside passage, where there is land on both sides of the ship, somewhere north of Port Rupert BC where they head to either Juneau or Ketchikan.

Ports - The most popular are Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan (Sitka, Icy Point Strait and Haines are secondary ports). Between the Pearl and the Jewel they visit the popular ones and spend different but mostly equal times in each. In Juneau the Jewel is there in the AM, the Pearl in the PM, Skagway - the Jewel leaves a few hours earlier than the Pearl. Ketchikan is the Jewel's first stop and the Pearl's last - both spent similar times here.

Scenic Glacier Cruising - There are two main areas for viewing glaciers from the ship - Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier and Glacier Bay. Glacier Bay is a national park and access is limited using a permit system - Princess, HAL, and NCL have permits - also only two ships per day are allowed. In GB you will see as many as 5 glaciers as you spend an entire day in this awesome place. Tracy Arm is equal but different - it is a twisty narrow fjord with steep walls on each side - at the end sits Sawyer Glacier. There is an optional small boat tour of the fjord that is well worth the price. The small boat leaves Juneau ahead of the Jewel and traverses the fjord well ahead of the Jewel - when the Jewel reaches the glacier you transfer back to the ship for the transit out.

Enjoy your cruise and enjoy the beauty of Alaska

We were on the Jewel to Alaska in July 2015 and August 2016. The pools were always open on both cruises.

While our next Alaska cruise will be on Bliss (taking over the Jewel's itinerary), we would recommend a northbound from Vancouver to Seward on the Sun. As you observed, the Jewel spent too much time in open ocean. The cruises from Vancouver have more sea life (more whales and dolphin). Our prior Alaska cruise was on Princess from Vancouver to Whittier (which we prefer over the Jewel itinerary).

Both ships sail to the west of Vancouver Island (most all itineraries regardless of line take this route most of the time), regardless of what the maps portray. But this will be at night, so you won't be missing much.

I thought the Alaska cruise was perfect with small children. When you leave the ship, you won't have to pack extra clothes etc like you do for a beach day. Just dress in layers. Whale watching in Juneau is very exciting for kids...they will likely get lots of attention from the boat crew...mine even got to throw fish up in the air for bald eagles to swoop down and grab. And searching for whales is like the ultimate Where's Waldo! In Skagway, I suggest you rent a car since you have such a large group. Take the highway to the Yukon and stop along the way at vistas or climb on rocks and explore! There's also an attraction where you can pet the sled dogs which was super popular with my family! We even saw a bear along the road. This is a nice alternative to the train (cheaper and you can stop when the kids need to).

I agree with the others who say the ship doesn't matter. They are basically the same...the kids WILL swim regardless of the temp as the pools are heated. And you might get lucky and get 80 degree weather like we did...in Ketchikan! The kids clubs are amazing in Alaska...they will get a special program from a Park Ranger on Glacier Bay day. BTW, do Glacier Bay...especially if you think this is a one time thing. The scenery and experience of approaching the glacier is spectacular.

We'll be on the Pearl this July and one thing to note, your 2 year old will not be eligible for any kids clubs and this ship doesn't have in room or pay per hour nursery care. We'll even with our almost 2 year old and I'm okay with that, but other cruise lines will offer paid services for under 3.

We sailed to a Alaska on the Pearl and absolutely loved every second. I agree with Budget Queen that you should do research not only about the ship but what you hope to see and do on a cruise. For the wide age group there will different ideas on what they may want on a take-away after the cruise. We wanted great land tours and the Glacier as out top two choices. The pool was open but we used the spa the entire trip. We have never traveled with our grandchildren on a cruise but perhaps Disney might be a ship to look at for Alaska. Good luck with your choice.