Euros

gjcocruiser

Hi Mark. I guess what I should have asked is whether "tap & pay" is more available in Europe. When I search online, I see that it is, but it seems to reference the UK. If you can use tap & pay, you can use Apple/Android pay. What I am mostly trying to find out, is rather than both of us bringing our credit cards (mine are the back up), if I could use mine for Apple pay in tap & pay terminals, and use my husband's as a backup.

Daisi, I just realized something. I am not able to use my Canadian card for tap even in the US. I have shopped at Macy's for small purchases well within the tap limit, and tried tapping my card and it doesn't work. If that is because it is a foreign card, that might be an issue even if they have tap machines in Europe. In addition of course, I assume that there is a limit on the size of the purchases on apple/android pay.

Hi Mark. I guess what I should have asked is whether "tap & pay" is more available in Europe. When I search online, I see that it is, but it seems to reference the UK. If you can use tap & pay, you can use Apple/Android pay. What I am mostly trying to find out, is rather than both of us bringing our credit cards (mine are the back up), if I could use mine for Apple pay in tap & pay terminals, and use my husband's as a backup.

The problem for you is that most EU countries do not yet have ApplePay available, they do use contactless but that won't help you if Apple have not yet rolled out support to that country.

I suspect you'll be using your husbands cards as the primary payment method and occasionally you may be able to use ApplePay, but just check the list of supported countries against your itinerary for an idea of just how often it may even be possible...

Daisi, I just realized something. I am not able to use my Canadian card for tap even in the US. I have shopped at Macy's for small purchases well within the tap limit, and tried tapping my card and it doesn't work. If that is because it is a foreign card, that might be an issue even if they have tap machines in Europe. In addition of course, I assume that there is a limit on the size of the purchases on apple/android pay.

Thanks gnome12, that's something I didn't think about. We will be in the States in June, I'll have to see if we can use it. I know that the US is still rolling out the chip & pin, but never thought about if the machines are good. I thought we had used tap & pay down there, but maybe just the insert chip. Also, if you are interested in getting the Amazon card, it is available for "pay"...:)

Mark, I'm not sure how European banking works, but here, now all major banks are on "pay", you can use it anywhere a tap & pay system is. The "pay" is by your bank, so it should work if the tap & pay is available. It's frustrating, as most of the sites i find that say "pay" is widely used in Europe, then refer to the UK. Another annoying thing is, most of the pages you pull up are almost a year old!

I know we Canadians have true chip & pin, but even with that it is not always possible to use your card in a European machine (e.g. to buy train tickets automatically). I have occasionally had trouble using my card at one of those, so sometimes you have to actually line up for a person which I hate. With that, I would think that you would need the physical card, but maybe I'm wrong. You are certainly safer having the card.

By the way, what countries are you going to?

Oh, we will have our card, just I don't carry a purse (have a nice handy case that holds a card & some $$), so I am trying to leave the "spare" at home. I can bring them with, just hoping not to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums