HAL Facebook Ads for Oprah Alliance

Wow. It seems everyday a brand new ad for Oprah on Alaskan sailings is posted. The comments from our fellow passengers are resoundingly negative. It is apparent we don't want services eliminated and money wasted on controversial celebrities.

Yet they say that they still will cruise on Holland America and that it "won't affect how they feel" about Holland America... Seems like people complaining on Facebook aren't really sincere. Perhaps they're just posting what they're posting because they want attention, or they just want the visceral thrill of being mean toward someone famous on the internet.

If the Oprah-themed sailings attract passengers who are willing to pay a premium for the experience, how is that money wasted? What money are you referring to?

What services is Oprah taking away from you?

Roz

If the Oprah-themed sailings attract passengers who are willing to pay a premium for the experience, how is that money wasted? What money are you referring to?

Roz

It's like any other 'themed' cruise with a significant number of a special group aboard that monopolizes facilities that what would otherwise be available to the ship at large. While this may or may not happen, I would avoid such a cruise because it might happen.

Roz

Am almost positive Oprah is not sailing for free. If you look at the numerous FB posts, the overwhelming majority of cruisers are extremely upset mainly because of her political stance on many issues. Most feel she is too controversial and stated they would not support HAL as they have in the past. Just the messenger. [emoji849]

As far as cutbacks, fewer room stewards with increased rooms to clean. The drastic reduction in the library of books. The elimination of an Internet person and librarian, the reduction of clergy, elimination of dance hosts and elimination of Duplicate Lessons and a bridge director. On our last two lengthy cruises, volunteers ran the games. In both instances we had an average of 14 tables of participants.

As far as cutbacks, fewer room stewards with increased rooms to clean. The drastic reduction in the library of books. The elimination of an Internet person and librarian, the reduction of clergy, elimination of dance hosts and elimination of Duplicate Lessons and a bridge director. On our last two lengthy cruises, volunteers ran the games. In both instances we had an average of 14 tables of participants.

I agree there have been cutbacks, but how is this Oprah's fault? I've seen various posts about Oprah's political stance, but they're vague about what exactly people object to. I'm not trying to defend her one way or the other, just trying to understand the logic. HAL has nude charter cruises (the thought of which disgust me) but I continue to book with HAL.

Roz

I agree there have been cutbacks, but how is this Oprah's fault? I've seen various posts about Oprah's political stance, but they're vague about what exactly people object to. I'm not trying to defend her one way or the other, just trying to understand the logic. HAL has nude charter cruises (the thought of which disgust me) but I continue to book with HAL.

Roz

Come on, this is very simple. If HAL is paying Oprah, then that is money that could be, in the opinion of some, better spent on other things. Despite what some might think, not every one appreciates Oprah.

Wow. It seems everyday a brand new ad for Oprah on Alaskan sailings is posted. The comments from our fellow passengers are resoundingly negative. It is apparent we don't want services eliminated and money wasted on controversial celebrities.

Agree. No fan of Oprah - wonder what her value-added or any other "celebrity" value-added is for HAL cruise line choices. Plus with the decline of HAL ship libraries, Oprah's one selling point in her favor seems to be her book recommendations. Disconnect here.

So what line are y'all booking on that only has themed or celebrity cruises that you agree with politically and don't cost the cruise line any money to sponsor them?

Roz

I honestly don't understand the hostility towards HAL' s business partnership with Oprah. It's like the partnerships HAL has or has had with the Culinary Council, the New York Times (for the Explorations Cafe), Dale DeGroff (cocktails), BBC Earth, Lincoln Center stage, BB King Blues Club, America's Test Kitchen, Chateau Ste Michelle winery, Dancing With The Stars, etc etc. It's a commercial relationship, one that will last only as long as it generates revenue for HAL.

Come on, this is very simple. If HAL is paying Oprah, then that is money that could be, in the opinion of some, better spent on other things. Despite what some might think, not every one appreciates Oprah.

Who said Holland America is paying Oprah? Let's not get upset about things that have no basis in fact.

HAL may be paying Oprah and Opray maybe paying HAL. If you check my post, you'll see I said: "if HAL is paying Oprah".

I honestly don't understand the hostility towards HAL' s business partnership with Oprah. It's like the partnerships HAL has or has had with the Culinary Council, the New York Times (for the Explorations Cafe), Dale DeGroff (cocktails), BBC Earth, Lincoln Center stage, BB King Blues Club, America's Test Kitchen, Chateau Ste Michelle winery, Dancing With The Stars, etc etc. It's a commercial relationship, one that will last only as long as it generates revenue for HAL.

I'm not sure I would use the term "hostility". To me, this "hostility", to use your term, is more an expression of dislike. I can dislike something without being hostile to it.

I do not care for her show. I do not see anything attractive about her book lists. I can see where some might prefer taking the funds used to pay for Oprah's presence to reinstate the library for example. Now, if Oprah is paying HAL, then that is different.

My thoughts exactly. I don't understand the uproar either.

Roz

I'm not sure I would use the term "hostility". To me, this "hostility", to use your term, is more an expression of dislike. I can dislike something without being hostile to it.

I do not care for her show. I do not see anything attractive about her book lists. I can see where some might prefer taking the funds used to pay for Oprah's presence to reinstate the library for example. Now, if Oprah is paying HAL, then that is different.

Please re-read my post. I mentioned "hostility" towards the business partnership with Oprah. I did not inject anything personal about Oprah herself. The Oprah/HAL thing is a business arrangement, and I'm sure mutually beneficial to both parties. Just like all the other partnerships in evidence on the HAL ships.

So what line are y'all booking on that only has themed or celebrity cruises that you agree with politically and don't cost the cruise line any money to sponsor them?

Roz

That really isn't a good analogy. This 'partnership' will have some rather significant impacts. You can avoid a themed or celebrity cruise because those are usually 'one-off". But this:

"The partnership will include programming for 300 Holland America cruises developed in collaboration with O magazine. Onboard activities designed to "bring the magazine to life" will include meditation, tai chi, healthy cooking demonstrations, a book club and more."

It will also affect entertainment: "Four trips will feature appearances by members of the "SuperSoul 100," a group of entrepreneurs, authors, artists and others deemed inspirational by Winfrey."

Now Oprah is only to be personally aboard one cruise which can easily be avoided. BTW, an inside on that seven day Alaska voyage will begin at $1999 PP.

I don't have an issue with Oprah's personal, almost a charter, cruise, but I think many of us would want to avoid an immersion in Oprah's magazine on other cruises.

Imagine the reaction if HAL announced a similar partnership with those of a different persuasion.

Please re-read my post. I mentioned "hostility" towards the business partnership with Oprah. I did not inject anything personal about Oprah herself. The Oprah/HAL thing is a business arrangement, and I'm sure mutually beneficial to both parties. Just like all the other partnerships in evidence on the HAL ships.

Valid point. However, it is equally valid for those who would prefer a different business arrangement to make their voices heard. No one would object should Oprah want to do a charter. Some might find an immersion in her magazine to be less than pleasant. It's going to be on 300 cruises you know.

Edited by RocketMan275

Who said Holland America is paying Oprah? Let's not get upset about things that have no basis in fact.

Trying to think why Oprah would give away these frankly commercial "branding" services to HAL for free. Help me out.

One thing in which Oprah excels is self-promotion and her own brand development. Made her a very wealthy woman, but her charitable projects are fewer, far between, with far more focus than just tossing her name around for free to sell seats on a cruise ship line.

PBS: The Oprah Effect - By the Numbers - how wide does her marketing brand reach:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/the-oprah-phenomenon-by-the-numbers/

More info about the Oprah HAL franchise - enhanced enrichment and learning programs, much like the ATK franchise partnership, or the former DWTS franchise. BBC offers enrichment programs for other ships which are quite good. Not sure Oprah "enrichment" would be draw for me, but she does have mass market appeal.

http://cruisefever.net/0209-holland-america-forms-exclusive-partnership-oprah/

If you check my post, you'll see I said: "if HAL is paying Oprah".
I know you said "if" but just look what kind of firestorm can be brewed by random "if's". It warrants repeating that it is a baseless guess, each time someone gets upset about the prospect, every time someone posts that the cruise line "shouldn't be spending" its money that way, etc. (since there is no good reason to think that they are spending money that way that would have been spent some other way).

... Onboard activities designed to "bring the magazine to life" will include meditation, tai chi, healthy cooking demonstrations, a book club and more." ... I don't have an issue with Oprah's personal, almost a charter, cruise, but I think many of us would want to avoid an immersion in Oprah's magazine on other cruises.
And I think many would want the opportunity to be immersed in things such as meditation, tai chi, healthy cooking, book club activities and such.

Trying to think why Oprah would give away these frankly commercial "branding" services to HAL for free. Help me out.
Co-marketing. Same with ATK, I suspect. Edited by bUU

And I think many would want the opportunity to be immersed in things such as meditation, tai chi, healthy cooking, book club activities and such.

These are already pretty standard on HAL and other ships. Why do they need celebrity branding? Silly me, but then I keep thinking cruising is about travel and destinations. And lectures appropriate to the destinations and transit.

Used to be just immersing in the "negative ions" at sea was meditation enough. Now I need a billionaire celebrity to entice me to get artificially mindful? Not making a sale here obviously.

Agree. No fan of Oprah - wonder what her value-added or any other "celebrity" value-added is for HAL cruise line choices. Plus with the decline of HAL ship libraries, Oprah's one selling point in her favor seems to be her book recommendations. Disconnect here.

And quite frankly, her book choices are all very depressing.

These are already pretty standard on HAL and other ships. Why do they need celebrity branding?
Given that without a celebrity the cruise line was shuttering libraries, and with a celebrity they're holding book club discussions, I would expect many of those who complain about the former to be expressing substantial gratitude to Oprah for her influence on this matter.

That's if they really were concerned about books and reading rather than just sacred cows. :)