HAL Facebook Ads for Oprah Alliance

Why do they need celebrity branding? Silly me, but then I keep thinking cruising is about travel and destinations. And lectures appropriate to the destinations and transit.

Used to be just immersing in the "negative ions" at sea was meditation enough. Now I need a billionaire celebrity to entice me to get artificially mindful? Not making a sale here obviously.

Thanks for saying it better than I ever could!

I had been looking forward to finally sailing on the 14-Day Great Alaskan Explorer itinerary next year and will now be cancelling.....:(

Am almost positive Oprah is not sailing for free. If you look at the numerous FB posts, the overwhelming majority of cruisers are extremely upset mainly because of her political stance on many issues. Most feel she is too controversial and stated they would not support HAL as they have in the past. Just the messenger. [emoji849]

The way I read it, it does not look like Oprah herself will be sailing -only being "available" for a session. I assumed she would fly into one port and maybe deliver a talk or something but not be hanging around the ship for the full cruise. You will get to meet two of her friends, but not sure she will be there except in a very limited way.

She has a large following but perhaps all the recent ads indicate they are not signing up the way it was expected using her association as a draw. Agree, she is too politically controversial but this looks more like she is selling Oprah lifestyle attributes - more New Age meditative stuff. Which may well fit the more low-key attributes of HAL ships which is the intended fit for her devoted followers. The lady is a smart business woman so let's assume she knew what she was getting in to.

The way I read it, it does not look like Oprah herself will be sailing -only being "available" for a session. I assumed she would fly into one port and maybe deliver a talk or something but not be hanging around the ship for the full cruise. You will get to meet two of her friends, but not sure she will be there except in a very limited way.

She has a large following but perhaps all the recent ads indicate they are not signing up the way it was expected using her association as a draw. Agree, she is too politically controversial but this looks more like she is selling Oprah lifestyle attributes - more New Age meditative stuff. Which may well fit the more low-key attributes of HAL ships which is the intended fit for her devoted followers. The lady is a smart business woman so let's assume she knew what she was getting in to.

My understanding was that she would be on board for "a few days" but not an entire cruise.

Thanks for saying it better than I ever could!

I had been looking forward to finally sailing on the 14-Day Great Alaskan Explorer itinerary next year and will now be cancelling.....:(

If you aren't going until next year, you have time to wait until you hear what's actually happening. I'm doing the 14-day in August, and I promise to report back on the extent of the Oprah effect. I'm betting it's minimal.

If you aren't going until next year, you have time to wait until you hear what's actually happening. I'm doing the 14-day in August, and I promise to report back on the extent of the Oprah effect. I'm betting it's minimal.

Thank you and I appreciate that.....but I don't like what HAL is promoting.

I agree with OlsSalt on this one....celebrities on board don't interest me - just lectures and events that are appropriate to the destination. :)

Don't book that cruise, that's all. HAL pays a whole lot of rotten acts ( IMO), but I don't trash the line just because of that. I think that we have a few elitist at there.

Instead of having Windows 10 classes, they're going to be rebranding them as Windows One-Oprah. Crow's Nest becomes O's Nest. The Ocean Bar stays the same except for a hyphen in O-cean. You'll be doing laps on the Prom-O-nade Deck.

The daily programs are going to be On O-cation. Specialty dining will be in the Pinn-O-cle Grill and Tam-O-rind. Classical music by the Adagi-O Strings.

And of course, the second Vista class ship will be renamed the Oprahdam.

Instead of having Windows 10 classes, they're going to be rebranding them as Windows One-Oprah. Crow's Nest becomes O's Nest. The Ocean Bar stays the same except for a hyphen in O-cean. You'll be doing laps on the Prom-O-nade Deck.

The daily programs are going to be On O-cation. Specialty dining will be in the Pinn-O-cle Grill and Tam-O-rind. Classical music by the Adagi-O Strings.

LOL. You would think they would save that name for one of their larger Pinnacle ships.

If the Oprah-themed sailings attract passengers who are willing to pay a premium for the experience, how is that money wasted? What money are you referring to?

What services is Oprah taking away from you?

Roz

Doesn't that remain to be seen?

Yet they say that they still will cruise on Holland America and that it "won't affect how they feel" about Holland America... Seems like people complaining on Facebook aren't really sincere. Perhaps they're just posting what they're posting because they want attention, or they just want the visceral thrill of being mean toward someone famous on the internet.

Since when is expressing one's distaste for someone/something being "mean." Didn't we leave those terms in grammar school?

Doesn't that remain to be seen?

Yes, we will have to wait until August to see how much the O-activities will "cost" in terms of space and staff time. Will already existing HAL staffers do the Oprah stuff, or will HAL staff be reduced to make space for the O-staff? I'm thinking it won't be a big impact--I'm talking about the regular cruises, not the one Oprah will be on or the ones that her minions will be on.

Yes, we will have to wait until August to see how much the O-activities will "cost" in terms of space and staff time. Will already existing HAL staffers do the Oprah stuff, or will HAL staff be reduced to make space for the O-staff? I'm thinking it won't be a big impact--I'm talking about the regular cruises, not the one Oprah will be on or the ones that her minions will be on.

Do all passengers know up front they are on this special theme cruise, or will it come as a surprise like this last large group cruise that caused so much upset for the regular passengers on the Nieuw Amsterdam? How will travel agents explain this to customers who might not know how things might be different on this particular segment.

We know they have not disclosed the large group bookings to regular passengers, but since this one is hyped do we just assume "everyone" will know?

Do all passengers know up front they are on this special theme cruise, or will it come as a surprise like this last large group cruise that caused so much upset for the regular passengers on the Nieuw Amsterdam? How will travel agents explain this to customers who might not know how things might be different on this particular segment.

We know they have not disclosed the large group bookings to regular passengers, but since this one is hyped do we just assume "everyone" will know?

In addition to the Oprah "inaugural" cruise on July 15, 2017, there will be four additional itineraries. The info regarding the special "O" cruises is on HAL's website:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=ShareTheAdventure_TileLP&showHeader=true&showFooter=true&ICID=PROM_SharetheAdventureLP

From August 2017 through December 2018, there will be "Oprah themed" activities and menu items on cruises to Alaska, Bermuda, Canada & New England, the Caribbean, Hawaii, Mexico, and the Panama Canal:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=SharetheAdventure_OnboardPrograms&showHeader=true&showFooter=true&legacy=true&ICID=PROM_PartnershipLP

I don't see that this will have the kind of impact a large group booking will have. As far as I can tell, there's no special booking process, nothing exclusive going on. You just book the cruise on HAL's site or with a TA as usual. If you use HAL's site, there is an O Magazine logo by the itinerary map, and you might see the banner photo if you watch everything scroll by (she's now number 4 in the scroll queue). If you use a TA, I guess it depends on whether the TA is aware. I have no idea how much promotional activity has been done for TAs. I got all the way through a dummy booking up to entering names and the map with the O Magazine logo was on the page every time, but no additional info. I couldn't find a roll call for this cruise, so I can't find out how much people knew about the O visit when they booked.

There won't be a large group taking over the dining room. Oprah is doing a special appearance in the showroom on one afternoon. Two times, and they're asking people to reserve their time in advance (no charge, just make a reservation). So nobody's dining time will be affected. Advance reservations means other than people trying to get there early to grab a good seat, her appearance shouldn't cause a crowding problem.

Here's the blurb about her appearance from the website:

Holland America Line is looking forward to welcoming you onboard the ms Eurodam to Alaska on July 15, 2017. Guests wishing to attend one of the special appearances by Oprah Winfrey in the Mainstage are required to reserve their seat(s) in advance.

The two appearances will take place on Tuesday, July 18, 2017, at 1:00 PM and 4:00 PM. Your tickets will be distributed to your stateroom onboard the ship. We encourage you to bring a printed copy of your confirmation with you.

Please note the following: Booked guests can only reserve the number of seats associated with their booking and if traveling with friends and wishing to sit together, they will need to coordinate before reserving their seats. Your Booking Number serves as your Promotional Code.

Oprah Winfrey and talent are scheduled to appear. All appearance dates and times subject to change. Holland America Line is not responsible for any changes or non-appearance.

Thanks for the promotional blurb: Well this pretty much covers all bases: pays your money and takes your chances

Oprah Winfrey and talent are scheduled to appear. All appearance dates and times subject to change. Holland America Line is not responsible for any changes or non-appearance.

Since when is expressing one's distaste for someone/something being "mean."
There is a difference between expressing distaste for an offering and expressing meanness toward a person. (The distinction, incidentally, is the very same distinction between disagreeing with a perspective that a poster posted and attacking the poster.)

veryseasonedtraveler and I were talking about comments that explicitly were, "resoundingly" negative, and I was specifically referring to comments on Facebook that were explicitly meanness expressed toward a person.

Thanks for the promotional blurb: Well this pretty much covers all bases: pays your money and takes your chances

To HAL's credit, this was in the same size type as the rest of the blurb, not the typical "small print." But when I read it I thought, this could all turn out to be a tempest in a teapot.

I'm not a fan of Oprah. I don't like celebrities who think they can tell me how to live my life. But I don't watch her show or buy her magazine, so she isn't on my radar. I may or may not check out some of the O-inspired stuff on my August cruise. Not the gym stuff :eek: but maybe the healthy eating will turn out to be something interesting at ATK, which could be good.

I was surprised at the anger I've seen in posts. I didn't know so many people hate her.

There is a difference between expressing distaste for an offering and expressing meanness toward a person. (The distinction, incidentally, is the very same distinction between disagreeing with a perspective that a poster posted and attacking the poster.) veryseasonedtraveler and I were talking about comments that explicitly were, "resoundingly" negative, and I was specifically referring to comments on Facebook that were explicitly meanness expressed toward a person.
I was surprised at the anger I've seen in posts. I didn't know so many people hate her.
These are the comments I was referring to - those that express anger and hate.

My nominee for CC/HAL forum post of the day.

Thanks for the belly laugh.

Careful, they may make Oprah the godmother. Another HAL celebrity christening, like the Olsen Twins and the Zaandam (now did THAT come about??????)

These are the comments I was referring to - those that express anger and hate.

Please point me to those posts which say that the poster is "angry" or "hates" Oprah. I have gone back over all of them and all I can see is either the poster's dislike (not "hate") of the woman or a dislike of the theme of the Oprah cruises. The poster you quoted was, herself, characterizing her opinions of other posters,

Please point me to those posts which say that the poster is "angry" or "hates" Oprah.
Why are you asking me? If you are implying that 3rdGenCunarder is not telling the truth, why not ask 3rdGenCunarder? Though, that would be pretty rude, and a good reason for 3rdGenCunarder to decide not to engage with you on the matter.

Again, I was specifically referring to comments on Facebook that were explicitly meanness expressed toward a person, and if you are implying that I'm not telling the truth about what I'm reading on my Facebook feed, then I'm not inclined to engage with you on the matter either.

The reason people are upset is because of the plot uncovered by Mr. Bundy nearly 30 years ago. The relevant portions of the documentary are below.

lkCUMJAf0us

_ix68lOkgDk

Why are you asking me? If you are implying that 3rdGenCunarder is not telling the truth, why not ask 3rdGenCunarder? Though, that would be pretty rude, and a good reason for 3rdGenCunarder to decide not to engage with you on the matter.

Again, I was specifically referring to comments on Facebook that were explicitly meanness expressed toward a person, and if you are implying that I'm not telling the truth about what I'm reading on my Facebook feed, then I'm not inclined to engage with you on the matter either.

My comment about people who hate Oprah was based on a variety of comments on other threads in recent months, not necessarily this one. I remember one thread that got pretty nasty.