HAL Facebook Ads for Oprah Alliance

To put things in a more neutral context, selling a Rush Limbaugh cruise and having his personal influence permeate into all cruise activities would be a good way of viewing how some view an Oprah permeated cruise.

Great for some, anathema for others. But why would be the same question to ask about both promotions.

My comment about people who hate Oprah was based on a variety of comments on other threads in recent months, not necessarily this one. I remember one thread that got pretty nasty.

Thank you for your explanatory response. I was referring, though, only to this thread and couldn't get those observations from this thread. Nor am I on Facebook so I have not, in response to a foregoing post, have had the pleasure of reading these "mean" comments about Miss Oprah. Nor am I interested in doing so. I find no excuse for being hateful or personally derogatory toward another.

My comment about people who hate Oprah was based on a variety of comments on other threads in recent months, not necessarily this one. I remember one thread that got pretty nasty.
I would hope that the moderators have excised such hateful comments. It's a shame that Facebook doesn't do so. It's up to the person who controls the page where the comments are posted.

To put things in a more neutral context, selling a Rush Limbaugh cruise and having his personal influence permeate into all cruise activities would be a good way of viewing how some view an Oprah permeated cruise.
It's not quite the same. Limbaugh is 99.9% political. I think you'd have a hard time writing a lifestyle-based business plan for a Limbaugh lifestyle enterprise. By contrast, Winfrey is maybe 30% political, at most, and at least 70% lifestyle. I don't expect Winfrey haters to agree with the breakdown precisely, but I have to believe that they're reasonable enough to grant that there's a big difference between the Limbaugh breakdown and the Winfrey breakdown.

It's not quite the same. Limbaugh is 99.9% political. I think you'd have a hard time writing a lifestyle-based business plan for a Limbaugh lifestyle enterprise. By contrast, Winfrey is maybe 30% political, at most, and at least 70% lifestyle. I don't expect Winfrey haters to agree with the breakdown precisely, but I have to believe that they're reasonable enough to grant that there's a big difference between the Limbaugh breakdown and the Winfrey breakdown.

The point was not their message, the point was using a personality with a large following who has books and products to sell.

See if you can come up with someone else to make your predominantly life-style point - A Richard Simmons cruise? It is not my thing to follow life-style gurus. Okay a Martha Stewart Cruise - probably get the same reactions - love it or hate it. A Suzanne Somme's cruise. An Oprah Cruise is no different.

Perhaps some are upset/jealous that they were not invited on the latest "Oprah" cruise - the one in French Polynesia with the Obamas, Springsteen, Hanks... ;)

I still don't know why people's panties are getting in a twist over this. HAL has decided to have some special cruises - no one is forcing someone to take those cruises. It's not like you are going to get brainwashed and come off the ship a flaming liberal who likes healthy eating and yoga. If you only have the week open for a cruise that has an O-flavor, do what some have been telling some of us already for not liking or wanting something - find another cruise line for that week...

Perhaps some are upset/jealous that they were not invited on the latest "Oprah" cruise - the one in French Polynesia with the Obamas, Springsteen, Hanks... ;)

Invited? I thought that these cruises were open to anyone who had the desire and the money.

I believe slidergirl was referring to a private cruise last month on Geffen's yacht.

Yep. I think some just saw "Oprah" and knee jerked and didn't see the rest. ;)

Now, if you're going on an Italy cruise on HAL, don't get out of sorts of you don't get invited to the Tuscany tour, either ;)

• 1 month later...

I booked this cruise with no knowledge of Oprah anything. My daughter died in February after a 17-year illness and all I wanted was a peaceful communication with the ocean to soothe my soul. I have no strong feelings about Oprah so I suppose my concerns revolve around potential disruptions caused by a large group. Not loud parties or smoking but congestion and compromised service. I would change it but because I am now disabled I have non-refundable airfare booked in Business class. on the only direct flight from Toronto to FLL. I can only ask that someone post about their experience. If it's bad you'll find me on my aft wraparound balcony, thoroughly content..

Thank you,

Sheila

I am baffled by some of the comments. Oprah Winfrey recently said she would not run for public office. I have never heard her say or do anything that would intentionally harm anyone. Have any of you seen the number of religious celebrities that are hosting immense groups on Alaska cruises with Holland America this season? Are these charters upsetting? I think it is time that we stopped allowing trivial matters to divide us into a tribal mentality. I am a great believer in Love Wins. I wish we could all start looking for the best in people. Certainly, I would speak up if I thought anyone was causing harm to others; otherwise, I need to learn how to be a peacemaker and not just a peace lover. I admit, this is not an easy task.

Large charters can and do upset normal expectations of other cruisers, as we have had well reported here in the past. Best thing is all passengers are given sufficient notice up front to decide if they want to share the ship with a large charter that will impact normal cruise expectations (dining, room or facilities use, overall ship's vibe, etc).

Nothing to do with peace and/or love; just giving potential customers fair notice.

we were on one cruise with a celebrity and their entourage and we among several other tables lost our dining arrangements for early dining that had been made a year ahead. We found this out because some of them had told several others on board and even the humorist and cruise director acknowledged it and thanked everyone for their "cooperation" . There was also a fair amount of noise and clamor with them attending shows at night. So it can make a difference and be disappointing for those who do not get to go on big vacations often and who wanted just a normal cruise away from the world. So maybe it will still turn out well for most everyone

Large charters can and do upset normal expectations of other cruisers, as we have had well reported here in the past. Best thing is all passengers are given sufficient notice up front to decide if they want to share the ship with a large charter that will impact normal cruise expectations (dining, room or facilities use, overall ship's vibe, etc).

Nothing to do with peace and/or love; just giving potential customers fair notice.

I happen to think that words matter. We use words and words use us. When we describe people negatively without giving reasons, we are not exhibiting fairness. I agree that customers deserve notice of any changes to their cruise. That, too, is fair.

I happen to think that words matter. We use words and words use us. When we describe people negatively without giving reasons, we are not exhibiting fairness. I agree that customers deserve notice of any changes to their cruise. That, too, is fair.

Thank you for trying to enlighten us.

My TA said HAL is "trying to rebrand".....with all us seniors approaching the retirement /nursing home stage, they want to open their collective arms to a new market. Involving Oprah will likely introduce a wider audience than just us old folks who like libraries and afternoon tea..

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I booked this cruise with no knowledge of Oprah anything. My daughter died in February after a 17-year illness and all I wanted was a peaceful communication with the ocean to soothe my soul. I have no strong feelings about Oprah so I suppose my concerns revolve around potential disruptions caused by a large group. Not loud parties or smoking but congestion and compromised service. I would change it but because I am now disabled I have non-refundable airfare booked in Business class. on the only direct flight from Toronto to FLL. I can only ask that someone post about their experience. If it's bad you'll find me on my aft wraparound balcony, thoroughly content..

Thank you,

Sheila

Are you going on the cruise that Oprah is on, or one of the "Oprah-themed" cruises. If the latter, there shouldn't be much disruption. In any case, I think having that aft wrap will protect you from any disruption. If dining time isn't what you want, remember that you can enjoy room service with meals from that night's dinner on your balcony.

I can't think of a better way to commune with the sea than a cabin with a view of the wake. I hope it brings you comfort.

My TA said HAL is "trying to rebrand".....with all us seniors approaching the retirement /nursing home stage, they want to open their collective arms to a new market. Involving Oprah will likely introduce a wider audience than just us old folks who like libraries and afternoon tea..

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The target demographic is, and will increasingly be, the younger end of the Baby Boomers and Gen X'ers - more so the latter. Many Gen X'ers are in their mid-late 40's early 50's and starting to become empty nesters with more vacation time and disposable income. There are also many at the lower age group of the Baby Boom generation who are looking for more active, immersive vacation experiences. Both groups are more tech savvy, connected and active on holiday than are the Older Boomers and Greatest Generation who have been HAL's bread and butter for the last 25+ years.. These younger market demographics are what is driving changes to travel/hospitality marketing and product focus. Holland America realizes this and are trying to appeal to a broader demographic to stay relevant in the travel marketplace.

Except for one cruise where Oprah will be onboard (for only part of the sailing) all the other "O" themed cruises are really only offering branded activities (open to ALL guests) that relate to the "O" magazine - lifestyle, health, wellness, etc. This is a marketing/branding initiative, much like Americas Test Kitchen, Billboard Onboard, Lincoln Center Stage, BB Kings etc. Some activities will be complimentary, some will have a small surcharge, just like activities do today. There is nothing to indicate that entire venues, dining areas, etc will be closed to the general passenger roster. This is NOT a private group/charter that deteriorates the experience for anyone not booked into the special group/charter. For the average guest the "O" branded cruises will have little to no effect on their day to day experience.

The target demographic is, and will increasingly be, the younger end of the Baby Boomers and Gen X'ers - more so the latter. Many Gen X'ers are in their mid-late 40's early 50's and starting to become empty nesters with more vacation time and disposable income. There are also many at the lower age group of the Baby Boom generation who are looking for more active, immersive vacation experiences. Both groups are more tech savvy, connected and active on holiday than are the Older Boomers and Greatest Generation who have been HAL's bread and butter for the last 25+ years.. These younger market demographics are what is driving changes to travel/hospitality marketing and product focus. Holland America realizes this and are trying to appeal to a broader demographic to stay relevant in the travel marketplace.

Except for one cruise where Oprah will be onboard (for only part of the sailing) all the other "O" themed cruises are really only offering branded activities (open to ALL guests) that relate to the "O" magazine - lifestyle, health, wellness, etc. This is a marketing/branding initiative, much like Americas Test Kitchen, Billboard Onboard, Lincoln Center Stage, BB Kings etc. Some activities will be complimentary, some will have a small surcharge, just like activities do today. There is nothing to indicate that entire venues, dining areas, etc will be closed to the general passenger roster. This is NOT a private group/charter that deteriorates the experience for anyone not booked into the special group/charter. For the average guest the "O" branded cruises will have little to no effect on their day to day experience.

Bingo! The Oprah alliance is a business proposition pure and simple. Thank you for clearly stating what it's really all about.

I do not like themed cruises period. That being said, OPRAH's politics are a big turn off !

You are entitled to your opinion, just as anyone who would say: "I do not like celebrity-owned hotels, period. That being said, TRUMP's politics are a big turn off!"

We need to stop treating HAL as our own personal domain and hate everything that is changing about it. Corporate is trying to capture new cruisers and revenue to keep the line going after all the curmudgeons who yearn for the "old days" are gone...

Since we are discussing the fact that "words matter", let's look at the word "curmudgeon" which ironically is a word of Dutch origin. From WIKI:

Etymology

Numerous folk etymologies exist for this word. An alternative spelling attested in 1600 is cornmudgin, in Holland's translation of Livy, rendering frumentarius "corn-merchant". This has been suggested as the original form of the word, but OED notes that curmudgeon is attested some years before this, concluding that cornmudgin was merely a nonce-word by Holland.

The word is attested from the late 1500s in the forms curmudgeon and curmudgen, and during the 17th century in numerous spelling variants, including cormogeon, cormogion, cormoggian, cormudgeon, curmudgion, curmuggion, curmudgin, curr-mudgin, curre-megient.

Noun curmudgeon (pluralcurmudgeons)

• (archaic) A miser.
  • An ill-tempered (and frequently old) person full of stubborn ideas or opinions.  [quotations ▼]There's a cranky curmudgeon working at the hospital who gives all the patients and other doctors flak.John Doe's old age and stubborn aversion to new ideas make him a curmudgeon of a candidate.

Translations - an ill-tempered stubborn person