Dining package disaster

SunnyKitty

Do you know if the singles and solos who meet in the studio area with the staff member, are they ever booked as a group for specialty dining and the social director makes a group reservation?

Or if the ship doesn't have studios, the singles and solos have a meetup at 6 at a bar, does someone take them as a group to the regular dining room?

Thanks

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 6.0 HD using Tapatalk

In the specialty restaurants= there would have to be a "group" who commits to dining, then the reservations would be made.

In regular restaurants I've had fixed dining time set up for the solos But again, depends on that particular participation, of that sailing.

> So does one have to have the IConcierge app to book restaurants or shows in advance at home

The app does not really do anything until you are on the ship. I booked a couple of restaurant reservations through MyNCL online at 90 days before sailing. (All the app does for me now is a countdown until we cruise, and that isn't even based on my actual reservation, just the cruise date I typed in.)

Do you know if the singles and solos who meet in the studio area with the staff member, are they ever booked as a group for specialty dining and the social director makes a group reservation?

Or if the ship doesn't have studios, the singles and solos have a meetup at 6 at a bar, does someone take them as a group to the regular dining room?

Thanks

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 6.0 HD using Tapatalk

When my cousin sailed with us on the getaway they had solo get togethers and would plan group reservations at restaurants and the theater. It was open for all solos on the ship.

That's a bummer, especially as my next cruise is on Jewel and I'm paying the 100% single supplement. Since I'm paying for two people in my cabin, you'd think they would give me two dinners.
I get what you're saying, but I believe you are getting exactly the same vouchers as a cabin with two (or more) Platinum guests in it. Each one is good for two dinners, you just can't eat them both yourself on different nights. (I wonder if they will let you use a voucher to order an extra entr?e for yourself.)

I fully understand that it's harder for solo travelers to take full advantage of certain benefits, but in this case, the new program is better for solo passengers. Not everyone was allowed to split the one voucher in the past, so they ended up getting only one dinner for themselves (possibly with a guest). Now each solo passenger receives two vouchers, so they get at least two dinners for themselves, and the chance to invite one other person each time.

The people who really lose out are the ones with three or more Platinums in the cabin, but then again, they're paying less than 100% cruise fare on average per person.

In the specialty restaurants= there would have to be a "group" who commits to dining, then the reservations would be made.

In regular restaurants I've had fixed dining time set up for the solos But again, depends on that particular participation, of that sailing.

Yes, this is my experience.

The solo coordinator will arrange a few meals in the MDR's, but will only do so in the speciality restaurants if it is particularly requested and there is interest from a group of people.

That doesn't stop someone from organising to share platinum meals with other solos at the get together, but they will likely end up making the reservations themselves. I would only get the solo coordinator involved if there was trouble getting in anywhere, as they may possibly be able to pull some strings.

60% of the tables are held for onboard booking. You didn't.

by lunch time on Day 3 they were all booked.

And again - it worked for us 4 cruises before, on smaller ships though, we were booking same day , knowing plans - how long we gonna stay in port, if we want to see some show etc..

also...just a thought - if they sell so many SDP dinners they should be prepared for people to use them.

also...just a thought - if they sell so many SDP dinners they should be prepared for people to use them.

This is the thing though. They are prepared for people to use them. There are sufficient spaces in the speciality restaurants for everyone who has the SDP to use them. If there wasn't then these boards would be full of people complaining about not being able to use their dining credits.

What there is a problem with is people waiting until the day, or later in the cruise, in order to book their reservations.

People say that this isn't very "freestyle". I haven't seen anything from NCL to say that this is what they mean by freestyle even though it is what some people take freestyle to mean. Reservations have always been a part of freestyle (they were when we took our first NCL cruise on the Dream back in 2003). They didn't used to be as important, but were always suggested if you wanted to be guaranteed a place.

With the SDP being offered nowadays they are more of a necessity, but they have always been advised.

On our last cruise our Concierge said that she had several people that would make reservations for more than one specialty on the same night because they weren't sure where they wanted to eat that night. Then they'd cancel the one they didn't want that evening.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Really [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

They shouldn't allow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is the thing though. They are prepared for people to use them. There are sufficient spaces in the speciality restaurants for everyone who has the SDP to use them. If there wasn't then these boards would be full of people complaining about not being able to use their dining credits.

What there is a problem with is people waiting until the day, or later in the cruise, in order to book their reservations.

I think we are going in circles here :)

we were able to use our credits, but we had to stand and wait for at least half an hour in front of empty restaurants. And we were not only ones.. If we reserved earlier - it would have just shifted issue on someone else , not solve it.

as about "full boards" - there are tons of people who cruise and never been or posted on any boards. Out of group of people I cruised with it was only me who reads boards about cruising and even I hesitated should I post it here or not.

as about reservations .. I took 4 cruises with NCL before and never had issues with reserving LeBistro for same or next day. But yes, it was before SDP.

( I am also not a big fan of switching to ala carte pricing from cover charge, but this is full other topic to open :) )

Really [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]

They shouldn't allow it.

This is one thing that does need changing. People shouldn't be able to make multiple reservations (although how you stop different people in the SME room from making reservations I'm not sure).

A penalty for no shows would help, but would then create another load of grumbling (which I would have no sympathy with).

I think we are going in circles here :)

we were able to use our credits, but we had to stand and wait for at least half an hour in front of empty restaurants. And we were not only ones.. If we reserved earlier - it would have just shifted issue on someone else , not solve it.

This is where I do disagree with you.

I don't believe that you making your reservations earlier would have pushed the problem on to someone else with the SDP.

I don't see anything to suggest that there are not more than enough places available for everyone with the SDP to use all their credits (with many spaces left for other to pay as they go).

I fully understand that only a small proportion of cruisers use these boards, but that's irrelevant to my point. If there weren't enough reservations available then there would be lots of complaints on these boards because at least some of the people who missed out would post here (or find here afterwards).

Your experience actually appears to be fairly rare. There haven't even been people joining the discussion to say that it happened to them too. If you had booked pre cruise or on the first day then you would have been able to use your credits, maybe not at the exact times that you wanted, but you would have got them.

That's my point. I don't believe that they can't deal with the number of SDP customers put there. What they can't deal with is it being left until late in the cruise to book them. Restaurants fill up unfortunately.

As I said in my last post, I do agree with the problem being caused by people making multiple reservations. I don't know what they do about this in practice though, as I'm pretty sure that there would be loads of "NCL charged me $10 each for missing 4 of the 5 reservations I booked on the same night. How dare they treat me like that" posts pretty quick.

I hope I'm not hijacking here, but I almost always book the restaurants I want on the web. I did that with our next cruise (the Jewel in April). But, I just tried that with the Gem out of New York at the end of May. Only Cagney's and Le Bistro were available. I booked the 1st night for Cagneys successfully but the other restaurants were not available (Teppanyaki, Moderno etc.)

So I called the friendly agents at NCL. After holding for exactly 52 minutes, I reached Rachel, who let me know that she couldn't book restaurants either. They were all full. 88 days before the voyage? We have the 3 meal package (and two for our Platinum status).

I'd appreciate any insights or new steps. Thanks. You all are great! :)

I hope I'm not hijacking here, but I almost always book the restaurants I want on the web. I did that with our next cruise (the Jewel in April). But, I just tried that with the Gem out of New York at the end of May. Only Cagney's and Le Bistro were available. I booked the 1st night for Cagneys successfully but the other restaurants were not available (Teppanyaki, Moderno etc.)

So I called the friendly agents at NCL. After holding for exactly 52 minutes, I reached Rachel, who let me know that she couldn't book restaurants either. They were all full. 88 days before the voyage? We have the 3 meal package (and two for our Platinum status).

as I said before for us it was - show up without reservations earlier and wait for 30 minutes for hostess to give up on no-shows and get seated.

While standing and waiting for seating in Cagney's I have seen a lady show up at 6 pm and saying "I have 9 pm reservation at LaCusina" ... and got seated right away, that worked. I was amazed :) I have not thought myself that reservations are interchangeable like that.

There are quite often delays in all of the restaurants coming available online. If I recall correctly, someone on a Jewel class ship reported the exact same thing a few weeks ago and then they became available a few days later.

Teppenyaki is popular and prime slots can go fairly quickly, but it takes a while to sell all the pre cruise slots. I don't think I've ever seen Moderno sell out pre cruise.

Almost certainly they just haven't been released yet.

T.

Your experience actually appears to be fairly rare. There haven't even been people joining the discussion to say that it happened to them too. If you had booked pre cruise or on the first day then you would have been able to use your credits, maybe not at the exact times that you wanted, but you would have got them.

That's my point. I don't believe that they can't deal with the number of SDP customers put there. What they can't deal with is it being left until late in the cruise to book them. Restaurants fill up unfortunately.

it was always at lest 15 more people waiting with us, who were not able to make reservations. So I guess this is the problem.

And we were able to use our SDP, just no reservations and we had to wait and watch half-empy-fully-booked restaurants.

and I do not think what lunch time of day 3 is "late in the cruise".

it was always at lest 15 more people waiting with us, who were not able to make reservations. So I guess this is the problem.

And we were able to use our SDP, just no reservations and we had to wait and watch half-empy-fully-booked restaurants.

and I do not think what lunch time of day 3 is "late in the cruise".

Did those 15 all have SDP credits they couldn't use?

If anything this proves my point. Maybe there was some specific issue with your particular cruise, but if there are regularly at least 15 people standing outside each speciality restaurant every night then this board would indeed be full of complaints. If just 1% of cruisers know of cruise critic then that would be a person from each ship each week.

It ain't happening.

It does sound like your particular cruise may have been busier for these restaurants or, from what you say, there were issues with getting people through them as tables were sitting empty. It doesn't suggest to me that there is an ongoing problem with people being able to use their SDP credits though, they just need booking early enough (and maybe lunchtime on the third day is too late for that).

Looks like it's not only NCL, just noticed this on a Carnival Vista review (another new big ship)

We had made a plan to book either the Cucina or JiJi’s for dinner on nights that maybe the dining room menu didn’t appeal to us much. We tried to make a reservation one afternoon for that evening and the only thing left was an 8:30 reservation. We had plans already so we declined. The more I thought about it though; I realized that I can go to an Italian or Asian restaurant anytime I want at home. Heck, I WORK in an Italian restaurant. I’m there all the time! We were really enjoying the company of our tablemates and the service in the dining room. Assigned dining is what’s unique about cruising. Turns out our dinner that night was delicious, too.

Now I do get the OP's point but I look at it like this. If I was going for a night out in my local city and I wanted to go to a favorite restaurant, would I book in advance or just turn up and hope to get in? and you can't get much more freestyle than going for a night out at home.

There are quite often delays in all of the restaurants coming available online. If I recall correctly, someone on a Jewel class ship reported the exact same thing a few weeks ago and then they became available a few days later.

Teppenyaki is popular and prime slots can go fairly quickly, but it takes a while to sell all the pre cruise slots. I don't think I've ever seen Moderno sell out pre cruise.

Almost certainly they just haven't been released yet.

Thanks! After I posted I called Website tech support at NCL (there was 0 hold time :D) and Dave there confirmed that was probably the case. Patience is NOT one of my good features.

Just download the iconcierge app ahead of time, and make them while you are waiting to board. They hold back reservations. However, don't wait until the end of your cruise to book, they won't be available.

Now I do get the OP's point but I look at it like this. If I was going for a night out in my local city and I wanted to go to a favorite restaurant, would I book in advance or just turn up and hope to get in? and you can't get much more freestyle than going for a night out at home.

Yes, this is the thing. If somewhere is popular then it will fill up.

One thing I would mention is that when the UBP was first introduced they had some sort of guarantee that they would get you in somewhere every night. I haven't looked recently, but I suspect that guarantee has been removed. I suppose it is less relevant now that the plan doesn't cover every night, but this post does show that it can be an issue still.