What's your favorite part of the MDR menu/experience?

Keys2Heaven

...we're headed out on NCL's Getaway......but bummed that we won't have the traditional MDR experience. I didn't realize how much they enjoyed that aspect of our past cruises. I'm excited to try something new, but agree with her that it won't feel the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only thing different about the MDR experience on the Getaway is that you will not have the same table mates each evening, assuming of course you sat at a large table previously on Carnival. If you had a table for just the four of you, it will still be the same. If you get a group of servers you like, you can request to be seated in their section. The main difference is that dinner dining times are flexible on NCL, instead of the traditional main and late seating.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

The average for us has been about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. They do wait a few minutes for all of the guests to arrive at the dining table, but if you are only a few short they usually move forward w/ drinks & appetizers. We always let our table mates know if we were not attending dinner the next night so the dining staff would know we weren't coming in advance. It can run a bit longer on the nights that they sing & dance, but worth the show. You can order your dessert to go if you wish to catch a show on the boat ... or skip dessert - we've done both.

What do you mean sing and dance

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

What do you mean sing and dance

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

A couple nights the waitstaff all lip-sync and dance to a couple tunes - it's a short little show in the MDR - silly and fun and sometimes guests join in. You certainly don't have to join in though. We just watched and took pictures.

Listen ... I don't mean skip as in don't have any! But have you ever tried the dark chocolate layer cake from the Coffee Bar? OMG! I LOVE that so much more than ANYTHING on the dining room desert menu! I have gotten a slice & kept it in the room fridge and then eaten it later w/ coffee after show.

Are you charged for the cakes at the coffee bar?

We always do YTD, but find a server we like as soon as possible, then ask for them every night. It allows us to go when we want and still have great service. We also tip each meal, as they don't get tips at the end of the week like set dining does. If we have a good waiter that we have had over multiple nights , we still tip like they were set dining waiters.

We also tip bar waiters each drink so that we are assured good drink service during dining room service every night.

We order coffee and tea with some danish and fruit every morning in our cabin from room service and then go to the dining room for a real breakfast every day. We love the Cheers (which we ALWAYS get) coffee inclusion and get a latte on our way to the dining room daily.

We love the MDR choices every time! We have had the steakhouse options once or twice (lamb chops, yum!), but have to decide on each cruise which night we will order it, as we enjoy each night's choices every day.

There's always something to love!

OMG that brunch menu looks great. I want one from each category.

For years I would give in to the fillet, but last cruise I had the pork chop, it was fantastic. [emoji7]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Edited by lmgnpb

I love the gazpacho on the first night. That's the only thing I get two of! My favorite experience is getting dressed up and sitting down and enjoying a wonderful meal. Growing up I think my parents used the MDR as a training device to keep us quiet yet engaged in conversations.

We always do YTD..... We also tip each meal, as they don't get tips at the end of the week like set dining does.

We love the MDR choices every time! We have had the steakhouse options once or twice (lamb chops, yum!), but have to decide on each cruise which night we will order it, as we enjoy each night's choices every day.

First of all, if you have chosen YTD instead of early or late, the servers are already getting their portion of your tips. Everyone that has chosen YTD's tips go into a pool and they are dispersed to the crew that serves your meals there. So unless they are providing above and beyond fabulous service, you're double tipping. Also, instead of spending 20.00 on the steakhouse options entree in the MDR, why not spend 35 and enjoy the entire experience in the steakhouse? You can get soup, salad, app, entree, 2 sides and dessert to take back to your cabin. It's great on the last night since it's the best way to finish off your cruise, IMHO.

A person has been able to bring food through for years. Packed sandwiches, snacks, just not liquid.

Not on the east coast. You can buy a muffin in the airport before u go through security and they will make u throw it out before you go through. No food or beverage past security not purchased after passing is allowed on the plane. In your checked luggage maybe, but not on the plane.

Not on the east coast. You can buy a muffin in the airport before u go through security and they will make u throw it out before you go through. No food or beverage past security not purchased after passing is allowed on the plane. In your checked luggage maybe, but not on the plane.

I'm on the east coast and never heard of such a thing. Maybe if you're in the middle of eating it or it's opened and there's nowhere to safely put it down while you're being screened, but I bring snacks on all the time in my carry on. So do families with small children.

I'm on the east coast and have never had trouble bringing food/snacks on a plane. I travel with 2 children so I always bring food from home onto our flights (pretzels, granola bars, sandwiches, etc). We usually fly out of Philly but sometimes Newark or BWI. On our most recent flight in January out of Philly, I was eating a sandwich while going through security and they told me I couldn't carry it through and had to wrap it back up and put it in the bin on the conveyer belt to go through the scanner. That's the biggest issue I ever had with bringing food through....which obviously wasn't a big issue. Also on that flight I had an entire carry on suitcase filled with nothing but groceries (including a whole roaster chicken lol).

I'm on the east coast and have never had trouble bringing food/snacks on a plane. I travel with 2 children so I always bring food from home onto our flights (pretzels, granola bars, sandwiches, etc). We usually fly out of Philly but sometimes Newark or BWI. On our most recent flight in January out of Philly, I was eating a sandwich while going through security and they told me I couldn't carry it through and had to wrap it back up and put it in the bin on the conveyer belt to go through the scanner. That's the biggest issue I ever had with bringing food through....which obviously wasn't a big issue. Also on that flight I had an entire carry on suitcase filled with nothing but groceries (including a whole roaster chicken lol).

That's awesome [emoji75]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

We are driving, so that cake may make it to the car, but certainly not all of the way to Phoenix.

It's mandatory that you consume it very quickly after getting into the car, because that cake would not survive in the Arizona sun, it would be a melted chocolate mess, turning it into a warped version of warm chocolate melting cake. :D