What's your favorite part of the MDR menu/experience?

Keys2Heaven

As a break from the some of the more tawdry threads as of late, the wife and I were getting excited for our upcoming cruise by perusing some other sites to go over the latest menus and remind ourselves of the fantastic choices there are in the MDR.

I mentioned my favorite part is the dessert and after dinner drink. Nothing like relaxing with a nice cognac and watching the sun set over a Caribbean sea. My wife loves the apps. And we both love the entertainment!

What say you CC'ers....what's your favorite part of the MDR menu/experience? Are you an app, an entree, or a dessert individual? Or, do you love it all! Do you have a favorite item on the menu? If so, what is it?

In addition, share you most memorable MDR dining experience if you want and let's make this a positive thread!

We enjoy trying things that we don't normally eat. We tend to eat and go to the same places at home when we eat out. So, this gives us a chance to try something else. I also like the fact that it isn't a rushed experience. I enjoy sitting down and relaxing.

It's the little things. We sail the same ships repeatedly. Many of the same waitstaff. They remember our orders from previous cruises, including allergies. One waitress remembers that the ribs were icebox cold (7 years ago?), ever since then we've gotten hot ribs, whether we've ordered them or not.

Where do I start? We love the experience. Lol

I love the fact that from night one I sit down in the MDR the wait staff knows my name, what I like and brings it w/out question every night thereafter! Thats my most favorite part!

I love lobster night! The fact that you can have whatever you want ... no limit! Shrimp cocktail ... this portobello mushroom salad ... the stroganoff w/ beats was really good, and I don't eat beets ... lol

I love the entertainment. The DH doesn't, but he's an introvert so ...

Most of all, I like when we cruise alone and get to meet other fellow cruisers and meet new people during dining. We've been really lucky in being seated w/ and meeting some wonderful people for dinner companions!

It's the little things. We sail the same ships repeatedly. Many of the same waitstaff. They remember our orders from previous cruises, including allergies. One waitress remembers that the ribs were icebox cold (7 years ago?), ever since then we've gotten hot ribs, whether we've ordered them or not.

We are on the east coast and have been on a number of ships and it is neat when crew remembers you and food allergies from previous cruises.

I enjoy having a meal cooked and served to me--something I usually have to do everyday for my family.

We enjoy trying things that we don't normally eat. We tend to eat and go to the same places at home when we eat out. So, this gives us a chance to try something else. I also like the fact that it isn't a rushed experience. I enjoy sitting down and relaxing.

YES ...:D YES .... :Dand YES !!! :D:D

Wow! Lots of great responses. Yes, the staff! Just how DO they remember your name(s) so quickly?! And how they can remember you sometimes years later! Just amazing.

We've always had tremendous service. Our family vividly remember Turpin and Christian who served as our wait staff when sailing Destiny in 2006. We took our daughters with us on that cruise. We sailed out of San Juan at the beginning of December, so there were a lot of locals on board. Not sure if it is a cultural thing, but not many locals ate in the dining room. As a result, our daughters were doted on. Turpin and Christian went out of their way to make our daughters feel extra special, even bringing them a whole Baked Alaska (as a joke)! These two were one of the highlights of our cruise and we can't think of the cruise without thinking of them!

The MDR experience is one of things we most look forward to when cruising. These folks truly go out of their way to make you happy. If you've ever done the Chef's Table and have gone through the kitchen, you know how hard they work and the environment they are in.

I love the fact that we can order as much as we want and there is no bill at the end! We all order what we are in the mood for that evening, and then I always order a couple things for the table for us all to try. Sometimes it's oddball stuff (rabbit, or frogs legs) or sometimes it's a couple extra lobsters! ;)

And the servers always make the experience more fun!

I realize this is the Carnival board and not NCL but I think this applies to most of the lines....I was watching a repeat of a quite old Undercover Boss episode a couple of nights ago. Kevin Sheehan (former CEO) went undercover but didn't make out so well because he tried to work as an assistant server in the EPIC MDR and the head team server recognized him right away because she had served him in the past.....ONCE (and he was in disguise). He asked her how she knew who he was and she said that she had served him once before and she remembers her guests which is one of the reasons that she scores well on her comment cards. Amazing!

I love that we are made to feel special even if the food quality may not be first rate. I don't have to cook it myself and I'm not paying a premium for my cruises so I'm not complaining! I tried to take my cranky 4 yo out of the MDR to spare the other dining guests of his loud shenanigans on my last NCL cruise and our server team refused to let me leave, saying "let us try first". They entertained him and made him napkin animals and more....lil guy was happy and asleep inside of 15 minutes and I didn't have to leave the MDR. No land restaurant that I have been to would take time to do that. I imagine Carnival will be the same way. I also love exposing my kids to new foods without feeling bad about it going to waste. I allot extra calories for vacations, so if they don't eat something that I order for them....I'll eat it lol :)