Help Please....Question about White Pass Train in Skagway???

LitchfieldParkCruisers

Hoping someone is familiar with the White Pass train excursion in Skagway can help me. There is a group of us and some booked the excursion through shore trips which your return ride is not by train, I like bus. The other part of our group wants to book the one through Carnival which is train both ways. Which is the better excursion ? Do you get to see more by taking the bus back? What is the big difference between these. Is there anyone with knowledge on this that can help. I would like to see and experience the most from this excursion. Thanks for any info....

You can always save a few dollars by just finding your way into the train station which is never more than a few blocks from the farthest ship dock and booking at the station direct.

If the walk is too far, there is a smart bus at every pier which will take you directly to the train station and this is a two dollar ride. You still save a few bucks.

THen the real hoot is if you happen to book the pick up by the ship for the later run and you find your way into town, notice that y ou are at the train station, wander in and ask about boarding there and they have to tell you to make your way back to the ship since you MUST board there since you booked there!?!

As far as the Shore Trips deal is concerned, they are just one more booking agent which then assigns you to a tour company and if you are lucky enough it may be small buses which gets you more stop on the road journey. If it is a large bus, you get a couple of roll byes since they do not fit in at some stops, like bridal falls.

Far better to do a bit more research and deal direct with the local providers. A lot of young people who actually live here are starting to offer good rates for groups of six to fourteen!

I have done this trip both ways, and will be going again with family in September. For me, and in my opinion, the bus up and train back was much better. We got to stop and take photos by bus and then enjoy the ride by train back. It broke up the trip and made it much more fun. I would definitely not book through the ship as this is an easy trip to do with many independent companies that charge much less. This trip we are using Chilkoot Charters.

I have done this trip both ways, and will be going again with family in September. For me, and in my opinion, the bus up and train back was much better. We got to stop and take photos by bus and then enjoy the ride by train back. It broke up the trip and made it much more fun. I would definitely not book through the ship as this is an easy trip to do with many independent companies that charge much less. This trip we are using Chilkoot Charters.

This is exactly what we have done also with Chilkoot...bus up train back....OP you might want to consider this option for your entire group....Easy to book with them online directly yourself and they will email you a confirmation to use as your ticket.

Does anyone know what size bus Chilkoot uses? I'd like to book the drive up, train back trip but am looking for small bus or van options.

This is only from memory but I think the max occupancy is around 26 (we were about 18). The bus we were on shows (a bit) at 0.32 and 2.16 in this one. It was absolutely fine, especially as part from the last leg back to the port we were never in it for more than 20 minutes. All the best, Tony

aFpz4AHOcUs

I just booked and from what i've read they're mini vans. We booked train first..then bus. I hope we won't be sorry we didn't do bus first. I think I've also read train up ..left side for best views...hope this helps.

Does anyone know what size bus Chilkoot uses? I'd like to book the drive up, train back trip but am looking for small bus or van options.

I just booked and from what i've read they're mini vans. We booked train first..then bus. I hope we won't be sorry we didn't do bus first. I think I've also read train up ..left side for best views...hope this helps.

Think small airport-type shuttle vans similar to what is shown below.

Allstar-Final-Cover-Shot-SM.jpg

We did the train up to Carcross and bus back last summer and were very happy. If you want to see pics and read about it check out my trip report located in my signature below.

There is a group of us and some booked the excursion through shore trips which your return ride is not by train, I like bus. The other part of our group wants to book the one through Carnival which is train both ways. Which is the better excursion ? Do you get to see more by taking the bus back? What is the big difference between these. Is there anyone with knowledge on this that can help. I would like to see and experience the most from this excursion. Thanks for any info....
Thoughts....

• train return means you don't need a passport... but you see the same sights. Can't remember if it was 90 minutes each way. So you see the same sights. I hear they ask you to switch seats/sides of the cars to see what's going on. Try to get the West windows for a view. East side is a rock face for most of the trip.
  • as a minimum.... I recommend a bus on part of the trip. You can see both sides of the canyon. You will need to have a passport for the Fraser exchange.
  • Ideally, I recommend a combo like Carcross. You get to visit places further North like Carcross and Caribou Crossing.

0xHCn0IkjUE