I Wish Someone Had Told Me On My First Carnival Cruise.....

dpeeps87

The over the door shoe organizer was a life saver for the cruise I went on with two other girls for my bachelorette party. Three gals in an inside cabin created very little space. :)

I have also used the canvas shelves that hang in the closet.

Our first cruise was RCCL, but I bet CCL does something similar-- we felt like we "had" to go to this shopping meeting on the first day. I think we even bought a coupon book or something? Then we did scavenger hunt type things to get little stones and stuff for free at stores. It was an interesting way to get us to explore, but we skipped it every time after that.

Two other suggestions I have:

1. Go to Home Depot and buy strong magnetic hooks. Your cabin walls are metal, and the hooks are great for hanging swimsuits, beach towels, etc. They were a life saver in our tiny inside cabin on our last cruise.

2. If in an inside cabin, turn your TV on at bedtime and set it to the bridge camera station. It will remain dark all night, but when the sun rises, you will get the sunshine--just like a window.

Cruise Critic (and other blog sites) drove me nuts in the beginning with all the acronyms, so I started a list as I figured these things out... here you go and feel free to add to it!

· DH – Dear Hubby (alternately DW)

· TA – Travel Agent

· PVP – Personal Vacation Planner (CarnivalTA!)

· CC – Cruise Critic; CC’er- fellow CCmember

· FTTF – Faster To The Fun

· OBC – On Board Credit

· OCD – Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (notreally cruise-specific unless you’re referencing my packing list!)

· OV- Ocean view cabin

· M&G – Meet & Greet (also known asMeet & Mingle- M&M)

· DoD – Drink Of the Day

· DD – Dear Daughter

· GS – Grandson

· GS – Guest Services (pretty sure you canfigure out the difference from the post)

· IMHO- In My Humble Opinion

· YMMV- Your Mileage May Vary (obviouslymeans your experience may be different)

Thanks! [emoji2] I appreciate this list!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Happens in my house too! I have two cruises booked for the same date in 2018 because I couldn't decide which one I wanted! Ugh... #addictedtocruising

Decisions decisions!! [emoji1] Good luck choosing!! So many vacation options so little time! #CruisingIsAGoodThingToBeAddictedTo [emoji6]

Wish I knew you could e-mail the maitre'd and request a private table. Trying it for the first time our next cruise. At least we got a positive response that they would honor our request.

What?! You can do this?? The first new night of our cruise is our anniversary; a private table would be great! How do you get the email for the maitre'd?

Most of the tables for two are an inch away from each other (not that there's anything wrong with that). Only one time did we get a booth (and we didn't ask for anything special)-- back in 2007 on Conquest. We were happy with it, but did notice it was right next to kitchen door and waiter's station, so maybe it wasn't always sat.

If you want a more intimate setting, definitely do the steakhouse. We love it there and usually go more than once.

I wished I'd know that even if you book an excursion through Carnival they basically dump you off at port an expect you to figure out how to get to where you are going. I still hate that part even though I've been able to figure it out each time. It is stressful not knowing what is going on and if you are in the right place.

Um. I've only sailed with RCI before. Is this different with CCL? I mean yes I've had to find the right sign before. But I've never felt I had to just find my own way????

Um. I've only sailed with RCI before. Is this different with CCL? I mean yes I've had to find the right sign before. But I've never felt I had to just find my own way????

And I kept reading to see that it was just that person, and I should expect nothing different. [emoji6]

I wish I had known to check for price drops, and they would honor them. I didn't learn until my 4th cruise, when I had joined Cruise Critic. This was back in the day of price drops granted up until sailing, not just before final payment.

I also wish I had known there are better areas of the ship to book your cabin on, to avoid sea sickness.

Can you explain? I'm on the breakaway in November on deck 9? Will we be ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What?! You can do this?? The first new night of our cruise is our anniversary; a private table would be great! How do you get the email for the maitre'd?

So what about asking about food allergies? My son has an allergy to artificial food dyes!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm always surprised to see it represented this way here in the forum ... a few other groups I've been in refer to it as F2F ... which is also how Carnival prints it on the boarding passes and luggage tags. I do it that way out of habit.

FTTF is Carnivals acronym for it. Carnival calls it FTTF which is why everyone here calls it that.

See https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1374/~/faster-to-the-fun-(fttf)

And that seems to be the universal truth for almost all traveling.

Actually the old saying "bring half the clothes and twice the money" is one of my favorites.

I totally agree. I always overpack. Once you pack, take 1/2 back out and leave it at home.

Take some $5's and plenty of $1's for tips - porter's, transportation drivers, excursion guides, room service, etc. If the service is good, reward it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I overpacked at first because we went to dinner every night and I figured I'd be changing a lot. Now I live in maxi dresses, a couple pair of shorts, one pair of dark jeans, a couple nice tops, a few comfy v neck tees to throw on over swimsuit. Maybe 3-4 shoes. Okay maybe I still overpack a little, but I like options. In the end I usually don't wear maybe just 5 things. Not bad? I'm a work in progress.

YIKES!!!!!!! So they don't have signs when you get off with buses to know where you are going? Our trip last year we only did one excursion and it was in Labadee Haiti which was so small there was no cars or buses. All was walking distance and you followed the signs. This time around, we have excursions at every stop, we have kids (didn't bring them last year), AND all excursions include a bus ride.......now I'm worried!

Every excursion I've taken had people there with signs..it's a little chaotic but just ask others. Everyone is in the same boat..no pun intended. Find your group by the sign with the name of your excursion

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

Wish I knew about FTTF before they sell out.

Keep checking to see if some become available. On our last cruise, right around the date that final payment was due, several opened up. Likely they were from people who booked then canceled their cruise when final payment was due. Doesn't hurt to check.

order as many appetizers or entrees as you want

pack a power strip

pack a battery alarm clock

pack zip locks to carry snacks back to your room

pack lanyards for your sail and sign card

pack an air freshener for sometimes musty rooms

pack a highlighter to highlight what you want to do for the day in the fun times

get free playing cards at the information desk

pack a travel mug and get the good breakfast juice before it gets switched for lunch

order room service cookies

quarters for laundry room if you desire